Spyderco HAP40 Thread

Found a friend for my delica! I missed out on the first run but found this over the weekend at GP knives. It's my first Stretch and I must say, I really like this knife.

F9A3B3B8-1316-4074-B9C2-CF36A89E0F5D.jpg

I've been using my Delica at work for a couple of weeks now and have come to the conclusion that the Hap40 is best left with a more toothy edge for my personal requirements .
It's still cool to know that if I want nasty sharp then it's only 5 minutes away with fine stones and a strop , but a courser shaving sharp blade just gets the job done .
What is everyone else's observations and preferences with Hap40 ?

Ken

I've been using my Delica at work for a couple of weeks now and have come to the conclusion that the Hap40 is best left with a more toothy edge for my personal requirements .
It's still cool to know that if I want nasty sharp then it's only 5 minutes away with fine stones and a strop , but a courser shaving sharp blade just gets the job done .
What is everyone else's observations and preferences with Hap40 ?

Ken

I find most any steel works better with a more toothy edge. One of my preferred finishes is a 1200 DMT. It will still bring an edge to a very high level of sharpness but leaves enough tooth to work well on fibrous material. As far as Hap40, its ease of sharpening is apparent throughout the various levels of refinement for me. In other words, I can get it just a hair sharper than something like s90v whether I am finishing at 6000 or at 600. The 1200 finish I get out of hap40 is indeed "nasty" sharp.

Almost everything stops at the brown stones on the sm. Only for fun do I go to the fine and ultra fine.

Almost everything stops at the brown stones on the sm. Only for fun do I go to the fine and ultra fine.

Same here. I would even love to have a set of diamond rods between the existing diamonds and the browns (which give an edge that is almost too refined for my uses). I mentioned the idea to Sal at blade. You never know...

Same same.. worn out diamond rods are the stopping point for me.
Something between diamonds and brown, would be awesome! (For some of my edges)

Same here. I would even love to have a set of diamond rods between the existing diamonds and the browns (which give an edge that is almost too refined for my uses). I mentioned the idea to Sal at blade. You never know...
Exactly, or to make that dramatic step easier to jump between the two. What in realized was I wasn't spending enough time on the mediums after using the diamonds. The mediums are more than fine enough to clean shave.

Exactly, or to make that dramatic step easier to jump between the two. What in realized was I wasn't spending enough time on the mediums after using the diamonds. The mediums are more than fine enough to clean shave.

For sure. I can get hap40, and even s30v, to whittle hair off the mediums. Someone should start a thread about the diamond rods while its still fresh on Sal's mind. He seemed genuinely interested in the idea when we spoke so it might be a good time to get a little chatter going as a reminder. ;)

For sure. I can get hap40, and even s30v, to whittle hair off the mediums. Someone should start a thread about the diamond rods while its still fresh on Sal's mind. He seemed genuinely interested in the idea when we spoke so it might be a good time to get a little chatter going as a reminder. ;)
New thread is out there

Fixing to pick up a hap40 endura. Looking forward to checking out this steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave my HAP40 E4 a workout on vacation this week and it performed in every capacity except swim trunks carry...and the Ladybug Hawkbill in H1 has had that job for years now!

Got my first HAP40 coming I can't wait to check out this steel!! Did they release another batch of hap40 stretches very recently? I got mine brand new tonight..was kind of shocked and the price was to good to pass up!

Back