Spyderco HAP40 Thread

Did someone say Caly.....?

48885-90cbe6f6-c676-4762-87ee-c2883d266f25-jpeg

A combination good enough to draw me back towards Spyderco after a good few years.

No regrets

I got one of the HAP40 Caly 3 Sprints...VERY well put together, and considering the general across the board Spyderco price increase, we are probably unlikely to see a Spyderco like this retail again for under $130.

This is my first experience using HAP40 and I must say I like it very much.

Last edited:
I just received a Delica HAP40 today (burnt orange FRN, which promptly became raspberry). Reprofiled it to 17.5 degrees per side on my Wicked Edge, and I must say this stuff - HAP40 - is a dream to work with. Anxious to see how long it holds the shiny edge I put on it.

I just received a Delica HAP40 today (burnt orange FRN, which promptly became raspberry). Reprofiled it to 17.5 degrees per side on my Wicked Edge, and I must say this stuff - HAP40 - is a dream to work with. Anxious to see how long it holds the shiny edge I put on it.
would you mind sharing pics of the new scales and how you did it?

Sure. First I disassembled it completely. My first Spydie lockback, and it was a piece of cake. Reassembly was easy too - just put the lockbar in last after it is all back together. With it stripped down, I put two handle D-bolts and screws back in and put the two scales and backspacer back together (no liner, blade or lockbar), intentionally leaving them loose. I put a long twist tie thru one scale's pivot hole and dunked the FRN in a mix of scarlet RIT I had started heating while I disassembled the Delica. Pulled it out after 20 seconds and rinsed in the sink. Too light - back in for another twenty and rinse. Third time was the charm. Rinsed, cleaned the blade, lockbar, liner & washers, then reassembled. Total time start to finish was less than 30 minutes.

ETik6xc.jpg

cvEDKC4.jpg

^ That turned out great! I'm not a huge fan of burnt orange. So I may have get some scarlet dye and give that a try.

^ That turned out great! I'm not a huge fan of burnt orange. So I may have get some scarlet dye and give that a try.
Two 20 second dunks will give a brighter red color if that is of interest. I'm gonna' be on the lookout for an Endura HAP40 now (should have kept the one I used to have).

OK, I realize I'm a little late to the HAParty, but I'm becoming really impressed with this stuff. First, the factory grind is impressively thin. Second, this stuff is NICE to sharpen. Third, impressively sharp edge that is so far holding up very nicely. Next go around I'll leave it deliberately toothy to see how that goes. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

I'd forgotten about this thread and had to go back to near the beginning to find out when it was I first got my Hap40 Delica .
It turns out that was May 2016 , and I can count on one hand the number of days since then that I havent carried my shortened Kahr style Hap40 Delica at work , and now every weekend for the last 12 months I tote my other Hap40 FRN Delica .
I suspect I have carried and used Hap40 consistently more than most here .

My observation is that its a very good working steel and a pleasure to live with .
I actually own 3 Hap Delica's so that shows my enthuisiasm for the knife and the steel .

My work knife .

My weekend after hours knife .

Ken

Back