Spyderco HAP40 Thread

I'm curious as to how HAP40 compares to Super Blue in terms of edge retention, ease of sharpening and overall toughness. Anyone here heavily used both?

just got my Delica 4 in HAP 40 and it's going right into my EDC rotation. looking forward to comparing it to the ZDP-189, the burnt orange color is fantastic and now I really want to get my hands on a burnt orange Stretch when that hits the shelves.

23673095962_c11bafcfb3_c.jpg

Got a bit of a patina going on here. Tomatoes, limes, mustard. Mustard seemed to be the most reactive.

Got a bit of a patina going on here. Tomatoes, limes, mustard. Mustard seemed to be the most reactive.

Was it natural, or forced by applying mustard and leaving on blade?
Cool texture pattern. First I've seen on HAP40, other than just darkening.

Started as cutting up stuff for a sandwich. The lime got it because it was drying up.

I left the mustard on while I ate the sandwich. Then washed it up and gave it some Fireclean. So it was on for a while but maybe not as long as the typical time for forcing.

I've wanted an orange Stretch for a long time. (all the colors actually! :) ) I may have to go ahead and pre-order my Hap40 Stretch.

Someone on one of these HAP40 threads mentioned recently about their Spyderco logo on the blade fading, but now I can't find which thread!?

Anyway, went to take a shot of my Delica tonight and noticed when looking closer that mine is slowly fading into a gradient over time with use. Never personally noticed this before. And it is not the lighting, either. :)
I see in some of the photos, many of you who have used your knives for more food prep now have mostly white Spydies, too.

2015-12-17%2023.23.24_zpstichm1ii.jpg

My bug is still a consitent finish.

What's interesting is there is now also a patina developing on the the SUS410 part of the blade. It's a very faint fractal/oil slick looking one in a copper/turquoise.

It's hard to see so I am not sure if I can get in clear on camera. I'll take a look next time I have a photo session and try to find what light makes it most visible.

My bug is still a consitent finish.

What's interesting is there is now also a patina developing on the the SUS410 part of the blade. It's a very faint fractal/oil slick looking one in a copper/turquoise.

It's hard to see so I am not sure if I can get in clear on camera. I'll take a look next time I have a photo session and try to find what light makes it most visible.

Sometimes when they grind the blade the one steel gets ground into the other one. Ya know. I have three of the Super Blue sprints and it is visible on two of them. It is visible on my Delica with a heavy patina but only from certain angles. It was actually kind of difficult to even capture it in a picture.

IMG_15221.jpg

IMG_15181.jpg

I'm curious as to how HAP40 compares to Super Blue in terms of edge retention, ease of sharpening and overall toughness. Anyone here heavily used both?

I have heavily used a SB Delica and I have carried my HAP40 Delica for a couple of weeks now but can't really say much yet except that I like it so far. I haven't even reprofiled it yet and my SB Delica is running a little steeper angles. I have just been touching up the factory edge on the sharpmaker. It does seem to touch up easy and hold a keen edge very well which is what I love about the SB Delica. I have only used it for some light EDC stuff and a little cardboard. I haven't had it very long. I am surprised that there aren't more reviews from the Endura owners since they got them first.

I've EDC'd the Endura and Delica and am now using the Stretch. I really like the steel.

sal

Sal, can you comment when the Stretch will show up for sale? P.S was up there at your store today in golden and picked up some new toys for myself. Early Christmas. Also, the Christmas grab bags have been awesome this year. Thanks! ;)

Last edited:
Chris "Anagarika";15542299 said:
Me too. I recalled Jason B didn't like his SB and going to try HAP40.

Good memory!

The SB was a little chippy in my uses but it's also a bit common even on Japanese Kitchen knives. I feel they provided a good HT but its just not a steel that will hold up to my daily use.

I'm a large blade type so I was originally thinking of getting the HAP40 Endura but I needed something to go with my Farid K2 so I got the Delica. Should be here before Christmas. I almost purchased the 110v lightweight Native but I figured the Delica had a more limited purchase time. I was also happy to see that the blade was laminated and there has been talk of high hardness :D I'm still confused at how everyone is picky of the lamination line though :confused:

I will give my thoughts on the HAP40 Delica very soon, it's going to be my daily carry and it will see lots of use and sharpening.

I like the varying lamination line. It personalizes each blade.

Yeah, I don't mind it either, as long as laminate doesn't travel all the way down the the edge bevel (which I've never had anyway).

Carrying my Endura today.

i would say that my hap40 delica blade is about at least 20% thinner than the vg10 variety ??

Yeah, I don't mind it either, as long as laminate doesn't travel all the way down the the edge bevel (which I've never had anyway).

Carrying my Endura today.

Me three, I thought it might bug me but nope, I quite like the look of it

Back