Spyderco HAP40 Thread

The wonky lamination line looks great to me. It gives the knife character. Each Delica is a snowflake ;)

Are you saying you want Delicas to land on your tongue, or you're going to start collecting snowflakes and asking mother nature for sprint runs? :p

Someone on one of these HAP40 threads mentioned recently about their Spyderco logo on the blade fading, but now I can't find which thread!?

Anyway, went to take a shot of my Delica tonight and noticed when looking closer that mine is slowly fading into a gradient over time with use. Never personally noticed this before. And it is not the lighting, either. :)
I see in some of the photos, many of you who have used your knives for more food prep now have mostly white Spydies, too.

Hmmm, use all of my spydies for food prep but haven't noticed any of the logos on the blade fading... although I don't typically let my knives stay covered in whatever, I rinse and dry before I return to pocket

Hmmm, use all of my spydies for food prep but haven't noticed any of the logos on the blade fading... although I don't typically let my knives stay covered in whatever, I rinse and dry before I return to pocket

Or maybe you're like me, and just simply don't remember how dark the logos were to begin with and didn't notice the fade over time.

uploadfromtaptalk1450793539329.jpg

Taking my HAP 40 Delica (and the dog) for a walk. I've had tons of Spyderco's over the years, but this is my first Delica. So far I really like it! I can definitely see why this design has stood the test of time. I'm in Florida, it's almost Christmas and I'm sweating my butt off. We'll see how the HAP 40 does in a humid environment

Chris "Anagarika";15542299 said:
Me too. I recalled Jason B didn't like his SB and going to try HAP40.

Here is a good video on the topic. His findings in short: Edge retention goes to HAP40 and Sharpness goes to Superblue. No surprise given the steels make-up. Goes back to right tool for the job concept. Well done Spyderco for giving us so many options allowing us to cater steel to use.

http://youtu.be/ukD8g2MmvjI

View attachment 601677

Taking my HAP 40 Delica (and the dog) for a walk. I've had tons of Spyderco's over the years, but this is my first Delica. So far I really like it! I can definitely see why this design has stood the test of time. I'm in Florida, it's almost Christmas and I'm sweating my butt off. We'll see how the HAP 40 does in a humid environment
Wow your dog looks awesome and your knife too :)

I was starting to get some slight patina by normal use, so I put some mustard on my endura to speed up the process. This is from just a few minutes one day and a few more a couple of days later. Haven't had the nerve to leave it on for hours.

I skinned and sliced up a bag of kiwis (about 10) for us to eat yesterday, and now my Endura is darkening a bit.
Ever so slight hint of fading on parts of the Spyder logo as well but not as noticeable as on my Delica so far.

Might touch up my Endura for its first time, over Christmas here. I'll have more time to sit down and mess with it then.

View attachment 601677

Is your dog injured, or paraplegic?

I cut up apples at work almost everyday on lunch break. Apples really work well if you want a patina and they are one of my favorite foods. My SB Delica and SB Caly3 are black. So far my HAP40 Delica has slayed a good number of apples and it is getting a greyness to the blade. A slow steady patina like M4 and definitely not as fast as SB.

I skinned and sliced up a bag of kiwis (about 10) for us to eat yesterday, and now my Endura is darkening a bit.
Ever so slight hint of fading on parts of the Spyder logo as well but not as noticeable as on my Delica so far.

Might touch up my Endura for its first time, over Christmas here. I'll have more time to sit down and mess with it then.

Is your dog injured, or paraplegic?
She was paralyzed in a car accident 4 yrs ago. Now she bombs around in her cart!

So, for the people who have sharpened their HAP40 on their Sharpmaker, how fine are you going with the edge? Does this steel work well when polished? Or should I leave it toothy? I rarely go beyond the fines on a micro bevel, but just wondering what others have found.

She was paralyzed in a car accident 4 yrs ago. Now she bombs around in her cart!

Wow, sad to hear, but glad she's still mobile!

Anyone know where a guy can still puck up a HAP 40 Endura? Wish I would have been on top of it at the time.

I have been carrying my HAP40 Delica for a couple days (couldn't wait for Christmas) and really like how Spyderco executed this run. The F&F on my example is very good, a rock solid lock-up, nice thin grind and polished hardware with that burnt orange handle make this one of the best FRN Spydercos I have ever purchased. The steel seems hard which some might not be happy about when sharpening but its good news to me and with good waterstones it sharpens easily. I gave it a nice toothy 2k edge from my Kohetsu waterstones and it seems to be holding up well after some cardboard, heavy plastic and everyday items like string and packaging materials.

Now for some pictures,

AFA2A9AE-45E2-40E4-B0FD-FF35BC723257.jpg

ACA1D407-3675-4305-BBF1-A59BAD5EC499.jpg

Next to the Orange endura,
F3920200-4F4C-4EE5-BFBD-B03927394AD9.jpg

Back