Spyderco Harpy plain edge

Looking for the very illusive Spyderco Harpy in a plain edge. Any ideas ?

• Where to buy one ?

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Can they still be gotten ?

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking for the illusive Spyderco Harpy in a plain edge, can't seem to find one anywhere. Any ideas ?

Looking for the illusive Spyderco Harpy in a plain edge, can't seem to find one anywhere. Any ideas ?

I don't know if they still have a website or not>> but there was a website for G-Sakai who I believe was the Japanese company who made the Harpy ( or at least one of them that did). But at one time G-Sakai had a website where they would sell Japan made Spyderco models to customers here in the USA. It was all the way back around 2009 when I got a PE Harpy from them but again I'm not sure they are still doing that. Good luck searching it out because other than them I wouldn't know where to tell you to look for one except Ebay.

They do show up once in a blue moon ( very rarely) on Ebay and even here on the BF "Exchange" section but it is required that you have a Bladeforums Gold Membership to buy, sell or trade there. You might also try Country Knives in Pennsylvania. Good Luck

If you're wanting a plain edged Harpy for a collector piece I can certainly understand>> but for actual hard uses the Spyderedged Harpy is the "bomb" so to speak. For almost 8 years I EDCed a Spyderedged G-10 Harpy until it got stolen:mad: I'm hoping for a new G-10 Harpy to be available in the next year or so.

I always liked the Spyderedged Harpy over any of the other models in it's size range. The Harpy has really rigid construction as well as being an ideal size for a serious companion blade to your main EDC. Actually I wish they would offer at least 3 variants of the Harpy model.

took ages to find one, and that site is a waste of time, shaken that treat before and ended up with a serrated harpy that I had to send back. Full refund tho. nice customer service.

Last time Spyderco sold a PE Harpy in the USA was 1994 and the steel in those was GIN-1. The earliest ones, although sought after by collectors, have a one piece combination backspacer and lock spring which has been known to fail due to metal fatigue, so they're not very desirable as users. The VG-10 Japanese market version was made about 15 years ago. They were, at one time available from the maker (G Sakai) and from an outfit in Florida that imported them in small batches. Only real source for any PE Harpy today would be the secondary market - the Exchange here, eBay, etc. along with a lot of patience. Easy to find alternative would be the Tasman Salt.

If we can ever get Spyderco to proceed with a Sprint Run of the G-10 Harpy like I was hearing about on this forum about 18 months ago it would probably be good if they would run at least 20% of them in PE. It would be great for this guy who obviously likes PE Hawkbills and it would also be great as a collector piece as well.

I would like to see a Sprint Run in G-10 and CF both. It's been well over 12 years since the last time Spyderco made a CF Harpy. And I remember they went fast.

If we can ever get Spyderco to proceed with a Sprint Run of the G-10 Harpy like I was hearing about on this forum about 18 months ago it would probably be good if they would run at least 20% of them in PE. It would be great for this guy who obviously likes PE Hawkbills and it would also be great as a collector piece as well.

I would like to see a Sprint Run in G-10 and CF both. It's been well over 12 years since the last time Spyderco made a CF Harpy. And I remember they went fast.

im sure they would be snatched up quickly, very quickly. I know id buy a few easily

I don't know if they still have a website or not>> but there was a website for G-Sakai who I believe was the Japanese company who made the Harpy ( or at least one of them that did). But at one time G-Sakai had a website where they would sell Japan made Spyderco models to customers here in the USA. It was all the way back around 2009 when I got a PE Harpy from them but again I'm not sure they are still doing that. Good luck searching it out because other than them I wouldn't know where to tell you to look for one except Ebay.

They do show up once in a blue moon ( very rarely) on Ebay and even here on the BF "Exchange" section but it is required that you have a Bladeforums Gold Membership to buy, sell or trade there. You might also try Country Knives in Pennsylvania. Good Luck

A gold membership is only required to sell. Anyone can buy or trade. Gold membership is also required to put up a knife for trade.

However if a gold member puts up say knife x for trade, anyone can come and offer knife Y in return. It is up to the gold member if be wants to make that trade or not.

Way back when I was stationed in Japan (1996-1999) I found a PE Harpy in a local store in Machida. I already had a Serrated SS version so I passed it up, really, really wish Sal and the crew would do a Golden CO version in PE. I would be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Way back when I was stationed in Japan (1996-1999) I found a PE Harpy in a local store in Machida. I already had a Serrated SS version so I passed it up, really, really wish Sal and the crew would do a Golden CO version in PE. I would be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

You are not the only person that I've heard about finding a PE Harpy in a very unlikely place. I had a friend about a year ago who said he got his at a bait shop here in the Kansas City, Missouri metro area :confused: He said they only had that PE Harpy and one other Spyder in the display case.

The Spyderedged Harpy models are relatively easy to find in the $60 to $85 range depending on new or used condition. I just don't know why they wouldn't at least do a Sprint Run of the G-10 Harpy and do maybe a third of the production in PE. Just like "mrknife" said they wouldn't have a problem seeing the PE models go quickly.

Sal himself talked about the possibility of the G-10 Harpy returning as a Sprint Run over a year ago or thereabout but I haven't heard anything since. But even if they did a "plain Jane" stainless model in PE it would sell out soon I'm sure of it.

here are mine, hope to score mint PE harpy some day

EinNkhx.jpg

You most definitely raise my level of "envy" when you show off your G-10 Harpy from the old ATS-55 era. I EDCed one of those for almost 8 years before it got stolen from me. I want so much for a new run of the G-10 Harpy to return at least in a Sprint Run if nothing else. I'll take PE & SE both if they ever decide to do them again.

For a medium sized Hawkbill folder it's really hard to beat the Harpy model. Especially the G-10 Harpy.

Back