Spyderco Hawkbills: Serrated Vs Plain edged

A Harpy is supposed to be serrated, a plain-edge one is just a anomaly for collectors :)

Sharpening serrations is a breeze with a Sharpmaker...that's because in the olden days serrations and Spydeco went hand in hand. Not so much anymore.

A Harpy is supposed to be serrated, a plain-edge one is just a anomaly for collectors :)

Sharpening serrations is a breeze with a Sharpmaker...that's because in the olden days serrations and Spydeco went hand in hand. Not so much anymore.

Yeah I couldn't agree more because to me a Hawkbill blade a serrations go together so nicely and perform much better than plain edged Hawkbills. Now I'm not at all saying that plain edged Hawkbills are useless because they do have advantages in some cutting jobs. But for 90% of my Hawkbill uses I go for the Spyderedged versions almost every time.

The main reason I run threads like this one is that I hope I can find out what other uses plain edged Hawkbills are good for. I own a few PE Hawkbills but other than the blue VG-10 PE Spyderhawk I don't use them very often.

I really love the Harpy model for it's size and it's just much more rigid than the TASMAN or Merlin models ( both of which I also like) but the HARPY is a great mid sized Hawkbill blade and we need a G-10 Harpy badly

As long as they are sharp, I've found SE works best on gardening, foliage type of things. Absolutely perfect for that type of job. The serrations keep the plant material from sliding off. I'm sold. I used to like PE more for hawkbills, but no more. You're part of the reason, JD.

reason why these are the King and Prince of the garden

pvdcZe5.jpg

IFQRwb9.jpg

I don't know if he's a collector but I won't disagree with him if he says he ain't...:D

VP5vKXo.png

Peacent my good Brother I've wanted to ask you if you've ever used a plain edged Hawkbill>> and if the answer is YES what jobs do you use it on?

You're probably like myself and use your Spyderedged Hawkbills about 90% of the time I'm sure. Spyderedges and Hawkbills do indeed go hand in hand.

Obtaining a lasting razor sharp edge on a plain edged Hawkbill is a bit of a challenge and it's truly a bit more difficult to do than on a standard designed blade for sure.

Peacent you must have one super colossal garden my friend>> if so you sure have the hardware to maintain it.

Peacent my good Brother I've wanted to ask you if you've ever used a plain edged Hawkbill>> and if the answer is YES what jobs do you use it on?

You're probably like myself and use your Spyderedged Hawkbills about 90% of the time I'm sure. Spyderedges and Hawkbills do indeed go hand in hand.

Obtaining a lasting razor sharp edge on a plain edged Hawkbill is a bit of a challenge and it's truly a bit more difficult to do than on a standard designed blade for sure.

Peacent you must have one super colossal garden my friend>> if so you sure have the hardware to maintain it.

well I've only have used plain edged hawkbills from other brands (SOG, Crossnar, Schrade, CRKT) but given the awesomeness and performance of Spyderco's curved blades over any other brands I'm sure their PE hawkbills are many steps above those others I've tried.
The SE ones have a place at my heart, I was greatly surprised when I started using them

kJX97c8.jpg

as for the garden, I have a small second home in the woods (my primary house being in the city environment of Barcelona) but I also work in gardening, landscaping and forestry jobs while also working partial time on a Garden Center in the city.

lwU1ndF.jpg

I love Silky, Bahco, Bellota, Corona, Altuna, and also Opinels, Spyderco and my various multitools for use in between plants, twigs and trees!

hHDskWN.jpg

Yeah Peacent I couldn't agree with you more. When I discovered the redeeming values that the serrated Hawkbill gave me when I was in a serious pinch one time really sold me. I'm all for giving everything a fair trial which is the main reason I started this thread but so far I'm getting very few valid reasons for using a PE Hawkbill. Again I do own a few PE Hawkbills but it's not often I use any of them. But I like keeping them on hand just in case I ever do find a good use for them.

Pull cutting and serrations just go together really well. The rapid friction that you can get with a Spyderedged knife just can't be equaled by most plain edged blades. Even the C-111 Captain model which has many more options than a regular PE Hawkbill just doesn't fill the void like a Spyderedged Hawkbill does.

Again I use my PE Military model about 65% of the time but when I need a Spyderedge ( preferably an SE Hawkbill) nothing else comes close to it's performance>> I guess I can say "Case Closed" on that issue. But I'm still waiting to hear more about PE Hawkbills if anyone has anything to contribute.

OK people I really want to hear more about what you all use plain edged Hawkbill blades for. Spyderco makes about the best ones I've ever used. Now Brother PEACENT just told us that he uses PE Hawkbills mainly of brands other than Spyderco. Now I'm always wanting to try out new stuff but for me, myself I can't find hardly any Hawkbills folders that I like as good or better than the great ones that Spyderco makes.

I've thought that PE Hawkbillls might have a lot of food prep applications as well as a good tool for field dressing fish and wild game. I do use a PE Hawkbill preparing fish that I've caught. Now I know that some of you actually prefer plain edged Hawkbills over the Spyderedged ones and I really want to hear from you guys.

But I also want to hear more about other uses for Spyderedged Hawkbills too.

Also do you all think as I do that bigger models like the Spyderhawk and Superhawk have distinct advantages? And do you all think that handle material plays a role in how efficient they work?

I just opened the mail with the Tasman, as the Cold Steel was too big and the LM Serrated blade not "grabby" enough, while the hawkbill sliced the tape and wrapping with the tip and ripped the cardboard with the teeth

f9xidzT.jpg

another typical, great use of H1 in SE!

I'm coming to the conclusion that a plain edge Reverse S blade has more uses that a plain edge Hawkbill does. Which is not necessarily a bad thing but I still think that there are more practical uses for plain edged Hawkbills than we've seen so far.

There are however aspects about a Reverse S blade that I believe has advantages. Right now my jury tells me that Hawkbill blades are just at their maximum potential with a serrated edge. I'm just about to the point to where I only want Spyderedged Hawkbills.

But I'm now also wanting to take a closer look at plain edged and Spyderedged blades in the "Reverse S" design.

Back