Review Spyderco Ikuchi

brj

Not so much mileage on this of course, but so far I haven't been able to come up with an immediate dislike. Not a single one :)

What stands out to me (5 stars out of 5):
- The wheel flipper. Over the last decade or so, I've purchased and immediately sold a good number of flippers, due to my total lack of interest in the flip tab. So far, the wheel works great (for me) so the Ikuchi seems to be here to stay.
- Grip-agnostic handle. I appreciate the 50/50 choil for what it is but I've never actively liked it as a design feature. I find myself gravitating towards more grip-neutral handles and the Ikuchi is absolutely stunning from this perspective. The looks could be a bit meh at first, as it's just a length of CF, G10 and metal with the slightest curvature to it - and yet somehow manages to sit incredible in hand.

- The pointy kwaiken style blade coupled with the 2.5 mm thickness might very well turn this into the ultimate slicer. YMMV of course and there's nothing inherently wrong with overbuild, my take is we simply need more of this in pocket knives.

- The slim package. At roughly the same dimensions and weight, the Ikuchi packs an additional cm of blade into a package half as wide as the Salt 2 wharnie.

Other people seem to have issues with either the wheel flipper (sharp edges that affect deployment to the point of causing injury) or with the tip (barely recessed inside the handles and a potential liability) but I have experienced none of those. My biggest issue is to overcome my own muscle memory dictating I should press the comp lock with my thumb and let the kick of the blade hit my finger (as this is how I usually close all my comp & back locks) which obviously would be a bad idea in this case... still working on changing the habit.

The niche I appreciate the Ikuchi the most is in the lightweight carry department, if you are into this. For example, I think a combo like the below would serve quite well in those days you want only the bare minimum in your pockets:

Other people seem to have issues with either the wheel flipper (sharp edges that affect deployment to the point of causing injury) or with the tip (barely recessed inside the handles and a potential liability) but I have experienced none of those.

I've had my Ikuchi for a couple of days and, after playing w/it for awhile, I find that the jimping on the flipper dial is very abrasive and after continued use is starting to hurt my finger tip.

So, I started using my fingernail to engage the flipper dial instead. Also, after lubing and loosening the pivot screw a bit, I find that it is easier to just open the Ikuchi by doing a compression tab release flick (also using a fingernail to release the tab) which is now my preferred way to open this knife. I have had no issues w/the tip in the closed position that others say they have had.

You can find more detailed comments regarding my initial impressions of the Ikuchi here.

Last edited:
Short update here: I do believe 'fantastic' is the only way to describe the Ikuchi. The design is so streamlined and deceptively simple and yet you soon come to realize this is one of the cases when bare minimum is actually more than enough.

Very happy with mine, the wheel flipper working intuitive from the get going, no sharp edges where you don't want them and the tip recessed enough as to make it perfectly safe.

I also need to admit, I initially wanted the Ikuchi for the engineering feat it stands for and feared that in practice I'm gonna find it on the small side, after so many years of Military/Pacific Salt constant carry - and I was completely blown away to find out that, once open, the Ikuchi is not only big enough for anything EDC use might entail, but it feels quite substantial in a way you are not quite expecting to, based on looks alone.

As for a potential future CQI of having bronze bushings, I believe the pivot is working just fine on PB washers and I tremendously enjoy the current simplicity of the build - but that most likely would not prevent me from buying an extra one if Spyderco does decide to CQI it after all
smile.gif

I'm not much of a Spyderco guy. Mainly because of the huge hump in every blade, necessitated by the hole opener.

But this is a piece that I would gladly carry. Slim, light, deep carry clip, made of great materials...

The opener and compression lock are very nice, and I simply love the blade shape.

It seems to have a better handle to blade ratio than your standard Spyderco offering as well.

Guess I'm off to grab me another Spyderco product after all.

Thank you for the review, B brj I appreciate it.

Had mine for a few months, bought one just after release. No issues. None. Nada. Light, thin, easy to deploy and close, slices anything, disappears in the pocket, agnostic ergonomics.

Skinny handle. :thumbsup:
2.2mm blade thickness. :thumbsup:
or is it 2.5mm (Blade HQ says .090inch (2.2mm))

I have been intentionally avoiding looking at new knives.
Now you post this and . . . .
Way to go Spyderco !

I mean . . . maybe I can put it out of my mind.
Must focus on other things in life besides cool knives.
I just bought a super inexpensive knife this last week (trying to cut back rather than quit cold turkey)
Outdoor Edge Fish Fillet & Game Boning Folding Knife with Non-Slip Rubberized TPR Handle.

This sucker is huge (long) but still has a light slim handle with nice texture / rubberized gription just like I like.
Now I see this Spyderco Ikuchi which would make a perfect smaller companion knife (with super steel no less) to go along with the Outdoor Edge sword-like-object.
Oh man . . .

Last edited:
Haha
even has a "trigger lock" hole to put a padlock through to keep the kiddies from getting into trouble with it.
I'm kidding but it could work.

Since the CQI changes were made it seems like the main issues are how painful it is to open and close. A lot of force is required on a small area of your finger pad to open or close the knife.

I am hoping that spyderco will eventually modify the compression lock to make it easier to close with a finger pad or add a nail catch. I have been using my teeth to disengage the compression lock, to avoid the pain associated with using my finger pad. It would also be nice if they increased the width of the flipper tab, while keeping a thin grind on the blade.

That being said, the size and shape is pretty much perfect for me. It is very comfortable to use and slices very well. It’s light weight and compact size make it easy to carry in most pockets and it leaves room for you to easily access keys and other items in he bottom of your pocket.

So, despite my issues with opening and closing the knife, the Ikuchi is by far my favorite EDC pocket knife.

Back