Spyderco Ikuchi

Hey BF,

I owned, and a sold, a 1st gen Ikuchi. I liked it, but was disappointed in the ability of the knife to cut you when it was closed. A file mostly took care of that, but not entirely.

I also wasn't thrilled with the action. I thought it was great in theory, but was fairly difficult to open.

Anyway, went on a shopping spree after a few bourbons and decided I wanted to try the CQI version and pulled the trigger on one.

Just received it, and wow, a much improved version. The action is much better and of course the blade now totally fits within the scales.

I'll live with it for a bit, but right now I'm really happy with the new improved Ikuchi.

Hey Kreyzhorse, Congratulations on your new Ikuchi. Please report back in a while how it is going. I have the pre CQI version, but didn’t have the same issue with the blade being proud of the liners to the extent you did.

JonesE

Quick update after a few days in pocket.

Obviously I've had this knife previously and I think it feels great in pocket and in hand. The improved opening method is much better. It opens smoother and with less effort and I haven't tore my fingernail up yet trying to flick it up.

The blade fitting into the handle is a pretty nice improvement as well. :)

I'm really happy with this knife and it's what I hoped the first Ikuchi was going to be.

I really want one of these.

These are super cool, I just wish they would come up with a bit smaller version. It is a very slim knife, but still rather long. A shorter version would make a great office / suit knife.

I would prefer a slightly shorter version as well, but this one is right at my limit of pocket carry and and it carries well.

I love mine, I bought one as soon as the CQI ones became available. I'm the opposite, I'd prefer a slightly longer one, perhaps a 3.5" to 3.75" blade.

Hey BF,

I owned, and a sold, a 1st gen Ikuchi. I liked it, but was disappointed in the ability of the knife to cut you when it was closed. A file mostly took care of that, but not entirely.

I also wasn't thrilled with the action. I thought it was great in theory, but was fairly difficult to open.

I bought and still own a pre-CQI Ikuchi and have not had any such complaints or problems w/it.

The similar complaints about possible blade cuts were lodged against the Tropen, which I also still own and still have never been cut with nor had any problem with.

This doesn't mean that any knife can't be "improved" but I think that some of the anal compulsive complaints "against" various Spyderco knives is really much ado about nothing.

However, I understand from a marketing POV that the company needs to respond to such complaints in order to sell its knives and making CQI changes is a necessary part of their business BUT that doesn't mean that pre-CQI knives are inferior to the later versions.

I've previously tried to sell my Ikuchi simply because I wasn't using it but have decided to keep it, because it's pre-CQI status will probably undermine it's resale value, and I have no interest/desire in buying the CQI version.

Apart from that, I think that the size of the Ikuchi is "ideal" as it is. It is already too small a knife to me (another reason I was thinking of selling it) and making it bigger would not necessarily make it "better" -- just as I do NOT think that the Yojumbo is "better" than the Yojimbo unless you have really BIG hands to manage the larger blade size, which reminds me that I need to sell my Yojumbo precisely for this reason.

So, FWIW, I think the Ikuchi should remain the same size that it is.

Last edited:
I've never had any issues with a Spyderco, or other knife until the Ikuchi. It would cut you closed. That isn't being anal over a knife in my opinion.

Granted, with stones you could fix it, but it was a pretty common problem to what was a pretty good knife.

After selling mine, I regretted it and finally bought a CQI version.

They fixed the blade issue which seemed pretty straight forward. They improved the action with makes a good knife even better.

Back