SPYDERCO IMPRESSES AGAIN FISH HUNTER

I've always like Spyderco from my original Police decades ago to my Yojimbo's of today

If I’m carrying a production knife it is usually a Spyderco

So when I decided to get a new spear fishing knife that would double as a good fishing knife I came across the FISHHUNTER

I like the knife very much and it seems like it will fit the bill as a dispatch knife for spear fishing and a cut away knife with the serrations for spear fishing and fishing

The sheath I’m hoping keeps it’s solid retention ...... if it does not that would be a problem

I like that it clicks in ...... hopefully it stays that way

It is a hard plastic sheath that came with a Spyderco G Clip which I don’t get most dive belts are 2 inches

I replaced it with Tech Lock adjusted to accommodate a 2 inch belt

I had to angle it on the Tech lock which worked out

Shown with a pair of JBL FREEDIVE FINS & Shaka Pole Spear

The sheath I’m hoping keeps it’s solid retention ...... if it does not that would be a problem
Great looking knife . Should "dispatch" just fine . ;)

I've read some negative reviews about the stock sheath rapidly losing retention . You seem aware already , I think .

For your use , a custom sheath might be a good idea . Or an actual lanyard . :confused:

Great looking knife . Should "dispatch" just fine . ;)

I've read some negative reviews about the stock sheath rapidly losing retention . You seem aware already , I think .

For your use , a custom sheath might be a good idea . Or an actual lanyard . :confused:

Doc

I am concerned it clicks in nice now but it’s pointy and sharp and I don’t need it coming out at the wrong time

I’ve also read that it weakens up quickly

Might send to my friend Matt Gregory who is a wonderful maker who DOES NOT DO KYDEX sheaths but if I beg him might undertake. A proper. Dive sheath

Infant I’m gonna send him a link to this thread :)

I like the the coil lanyard I have on it now

I’ve used such on pliers and other tools around water my whole life and they have saved my titanium Van Staals pliers on many occasions

Plus if I have to pull it fast under water and I don’t have time to get the lanyard on if I have to drop it it will stay around

...mildly surprised you haven’t just sent it here yet. :p

I’ll see what I can do!

What alloy did they choose for this?

Rediculous sheath for a Freedive knife.

I want something to work on my dive belt. This g-clip doesn't fit a single dive belt on earth.

Also, there's a post about a guy bending the fine tip on a striper head down in New England... And honestly, they're not that hard.

I think they ground the tip way too fine and the sheath was a huge miss.

I'd like one with a sturdier tip, 3.5" blade length (the perfect length spearfishing knife - see all of Europe for proof) and a decent dive-belt compatible sheath. Even the current one with a nylon webbing loop and retention bungee that puts the top of the handle flush with the top of the loop would be infinitely better and actually usable.

So close, yet so far.

H1 Matthew Gregory Matthew Gregory .

Joe, check out the Waterway also (LC200N) if you haven’t already. Nice PE option that could work as a dive knife (I think).

I’m
...mildly surprised you haven’t just sent it here yet. :p

I’ll see what I can do!

What alloy did they choose for this?

I’m at the ocean now and used it today no issues but I’m gonna send it your way when I get home buddy

Thank you

Rediculous sheath for a Freedive knife.

I want something to work on my dive belt. This g-clip doesn't fit a single dive belt on earth.

Also, there's a post about a guy bending the fine tip on a striper head down in New England... And honestly, they're not that hard.

I think they ground the tip way too fine and the sheath was a huge miss.

I'd like one with a sturdier tip, 3.5" blade length (the perfect length spearfishing knife - see all of Europe for proof) and a decent dive-belt compatible sheath. Even the current one with a nylon webbing loop and retention bungee that puts the top of the handle flush with the top of the loop would be infinitely better and actually usable.

So close, yet so far.

I agree on the sheath and removed the g clip as soon as I got it and put a tech lock on to fit a 2 inch dive belt

A dive knife should really attach to the belt at the end of the handle... Not mid-knife.

At the end of the handle, it can be worn at 12:00, which is by far, the safest spot for it.

Also, with any handle sticking up / out, it also leads to potential entanglement situations.

Perhaps with a Tek Lok, it can be worn horizontally in the front, with the handle near, but not obstructing the buckle (in case you need to drop the belt ASAP)??
I agree on the sheath and removed the g clip as soon as I got it and put a tech lock on to fit a 2 inch dive belt

This is a knife I was truly interested in... and I am still are. However, I think a proper Kydex sheath with two sets of slots you could thread some elastic calf straps through is in order.

Right now I carry a comercial knife (semi-stainless) with a set of home made micarta scales attached (not so well, some water got in between the scales and the tang and it is rusting away!) and with a home made kydex sheat. I am quite happy, but it needs a few improvements.

Regarding sheath retention, something I ALWAYS do to all dive knives is to thread a loop of elastic cord through the lanyard hole. I put the knife into the sheath and hook this loop over the sheath end. In my case, the lower calf strap is the stop point for this (now under tension) bungee cord. The always positive tension keeps the knife in place, even if the sheath didn't have any other retention feature. For the knife to fall off, it would need to be pulled out to the point of the tip being levered out of the sheath (arround 75%. Quite difficult since these bungee cords are not THAT elastic.

I hope this helps. If it is not clear enough, let me know and I will post a picture of mine.

PD: The thin tip worries me a little. I bent arround 45º the whole blade of a comercial OMER diving knife while pounding on it with my hand to push it through the skull bone of a local fish here in Spain. I threw away the knife, kept the sheath and recently gifted to someone who had lost his knife.

This is a knife I was truly interested in... and I am still are. However, I think a proper Kydex sheath with two sets of slots you could thread some elastic calf straps through is in order.

Right now I carry a comercial knife (semi-stainless) with a set of home made micarta scales attached (not so well, some water got in between the scales and the tang and it is rusting away!) and with a home made kydex sheat. I am quite happy, but it needs a few improvements.

Regarding sheath retention, something I ALWAYS do to all dive knives is to thread a loop of elastic cord through the lanyard hole. I put the knife into the sheath and hook this loop over the sheath end. In my case, the lower calf strap is the stop point for this (now under tension) bungee cord. The always positive tension keeps the knife in place, even if the sheath didn't have any other retention feature. For the knife to fall off, it would need to be pulled out to the point of the tip being levered out of the sheath (arround 75%. Quite difficult since these bungee cords are not THAT elastic.

I hope this helps. If it is not clear enough, let me know and I will post a picture of mine.

PD: The thin tip worries me a little. I bent arround 45º the whole blade of a comercial OMER diving knife while pounding on it with my hand to push it through the skull bone of a local fish here in Spain. I threw away the knife, kept the sheath and recently gifted to someone who had lost his knife.
I'd appreciate pics of your set up. I've modded the fish hunter sheath to improve retention. I'll grab some pics this afternoon.

I am not a diver but bought one for a boat knife. My main concern with the sheath is that it seems to dull the blade quickly. Not as noticeably on the Spyderedge, but I sharpened the plain edge on mine. It was hair shaving sharp until a few times in and out of the sheath, then not sharp enough to cut paper.

Back