Spyderco Karahawk - Show and Tell

The Karahawk has been and still is on the top of my want list, the second I saw images of it from SHOT show.

I've seen Karambits around, but never thought I would want one, that is until I saw the Spyderco spin put on one.

The improvements being loosely discussed here are a testament to the commitment to product improvement that I see every year from the Spyderco Team and is why I am always looking for the next new knife.

Those changes sounds great! I bought a Karahawk 3 weeks ago and it's a great Karambit knife! Perfect size and so nice to finally see a Karambit with a strong lock! Then the Emerson Wave implementation on the Karahawk is the best in the industry! Never fail to open!

But with the with changes mentioned done to it and it will for sure be one of the best production Karambits available. As soon as the version comes out- I am buying a few of them! :)

Boar-gen

Last edited:
I'm just waiting on the updated version before adding the Karahawk to my karambit collection. I'm most certain the Karahawk is going to beat the Fox 599 in terms of build quality.

I am very much on board for the next run that has the mentioned additions. :)

We're going to do the inside ring first. There is a tooling change requirement, so I'd like to do the changes one at a time. I believe the inside ring will solve the issues. We'll see.

sal

We're going to do the inside ring first. There is a tooling change requirement, so I'd like to do the changes one at a time. I believe the inside ring will solve the issues. We'll see.

sal

I know it would probably be a major redesign, but I'd love to see a Karahawk with a compression lock. I had dreams of somehow adding a ring to my Junior and mutating it into a Karambit of sorts, but a true Karahawk comp-lock would possibly make one-handed operation in both forward and reverse grip possible. (albeit slightly awkwardly disengaging with your thumb in reverse, but I'm willing to learn! ^_^)

Sal- a Karahawk trainer is a must have! :)
Urza, I just have to agree to that dream! I love the compression lock!

Anyway, before I saw this thread I was about to do some custom work on my Karahawk and did some drawings- which I have included below. The top drawing is the original Karahawk. The drawing in the middle is basically with a redesigned ring only, which is also slightly smaller in diameter. Then the bottom drawing is how I planned to make my customization. But now when there is a new version in the works, I will not go for the customization, but wait for the new release.

Boar-gen

Last edited:
BTW- anyone knows the screw specifications of the Karahawk? Just in case I proceed with the customization, then I need slightly longer screws.

Boar-gen

sal

Hi Sal. Any update on when the next run of Karahawk will be available with the reinforced ring? Thanks

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have to say most of what I've read about the karahawk in this and other forums has been borderline negative. I almost passed this knife up thinking this version was so flawed I should wait on some sort of update. I love karambit knives, I have a nice collection of high end and discontinued karambits as well and after receiving my karahawk I have to say I'm nothing but impressed and wouldn't change a thing. This knife is what I believe a perfect folding karambit is. It's thin, yet locks up strong, deploys effortlessly, folds up tiny taking up very little pocket space and feels good in the hand despite being slightly rigid. I know it sounds like I'm testifying but I'm just really that impressed with this blade. I think the point of this knife design is to provide an effective, reliable and super compact self defense tool. I bought this knife with doubts thinking the ss liners/split retention ring would be super flimsy but it's not, nor are the edges of the ring(s) enough to cut you while maneuvering or flipping the knife, however I do wonder if God forbid I'd ever have to strike someone with the ring portion it may dig into my finger a little. Please don't discontinue this knife, it's awesome. Despite some tiny almost non issues for me I have yet to see such a high quality compact karambit. God I know I sound like some fanboy, I'm not trying to, just my opinions and first impressions.

Hi Kenny,

Thanx for the kind words and welcome back.

The design was kind of a crap-shoot because I designed the knife to serve me, even though I can't say that I'm an expert on Keramibits. (fairly experienced at urban folders though). After studying the concept and looking at what was out there, I felt that I could design one that would serve what I thought the "concept" or "spirit" would like.

We're still planning on adding the inner ring, but other than that, haven't decided to make any other changes. Kerambits are not a huge market, but I think the market did need a more compact version, more for function that flipping. I think much of the complaints were based on user's experience with currently available designs. I carry mine blade forward (left hand clip carry) so I can index finger the hole (large rear hole) and "wave" the knife open. Puts me in a ready position.

I appreciate the positive comments. Helps restore my confidence.

sal

Hi Kenny,

The design was kind of a crap-shoot because I designed the knife to serve me, even though I can't say that I'm an expert on Keramibits. (fairly experienced at urban folders though). After studying the concept and looking at what was out there, I felt that I could design one that would serve what I thought the "concept" or "spirit" would like.

We're still planning on adding the inner ring, but other than that, haven't decided to make any other changes. Kerambits are not a huge market, but I think the market did need a more compact version, more for function that flipping. I think much of the complaints were based on user's experience with currently available designs. I carry mine blade forward (left hand clip carry) so I can index finger the hole (large rear hole) and "wave" the knife open. Puts me in a ready position.

sal

Once the inner ring is there, I'll be on board with getting one. :)

Hi Kenny,

sal

Thats awesome to hear sir! I carry mine the same way just with the right hand. I'm happy to have the opportunity to directly thank you for this design, it's basically everything I've been looking for in a Karambit for four years. I missed the opportunity to buy the warren Thomas version (which I thought at the time was the most compact karambit available) so I tried my hand in designing one for myself, it's awful looking I know and it's embarassing. I'm just trying to show exactly how much I've wanted a knife like the karahawk. That's the first and last folder attempt for me, I've since given up on making knives. I was going to add a g10 insert at the ring but not to make the ring solid but to have a small exchangeable impact point extention similar to the warren Thomas model. I made some decent looking fixed karambits when I was making knives though I swear!! I'll probably buy three more karahawks as backups in case one gets confiscated or lost/stolen. It's good to hear that there will be an update but the knife feels good as is, I mean, if it ain't broke... I'm honestly blown away that you value my opinion sir, it's easy to see why you and your company are so popular and successful. Can't wait to see what you come out with next sir thank you!! Now everyone have a good laugh at my horrendous karambit folder attempt!!!

72006BBE-20A2-441E-8D90-F3BD09EB244A_zpsmrthfns8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi Kenny,

I like your design. Shows thought.

sal

Hello, I came across this thread as I was considering a karambit. I currently carry a pair of Enduras with the wave feature and am considering the karahawk to replace my left hand endura. Any news on the updated ring production of the karahawk? I have not had a chance to see one in person but considering the high respect I have for Sypderco products I doubt I would be disappointed. I have carried one of your knifes daily for twenty years now!

Back