Spyderco kitchen knives,does anyone have and use them?

How do these knives compare to other kitchen knives like victorinox,etc?are they good deal for money?I have smaller utility knife from spyderco and its pretty good but was wondering how the other ones are and more expensive kitchen knife,am not sure of model.

I have the 6" serrated utility, 10" serrated bread knife, 8" Chef's knife, and the santoku. I do not like the santoku at all, the serrated utility and bread knives are really great and the Chef's knife is just ok its a bit thick. I am used to a shun chef knife and that blade stock is thinner than the Spyderco Chef's knife. I plan on grinding the edge thinner on the Spyderco Chef's knife but haven't done it yet

I have the 6" serrated utility, 10" serrated bread knife, 8" Chef's knife, and the santoku. I do not like the santoku at all, the serrated utility and bread knives are really great and the Chef's knife is just ok its a bit thick. I am used to a shun chef knife and that blade stock is thinner than the Spyderco Chef's knife. I plan on grinding the edge thinner on the Spyderco Chef's knife but haven't done it yet

Thx for the info. I never used any spyderco kitchen knives but am using a shun 8" chef knife, which I think is already a bit too thick.

I think ill get utility knife in spyder edge,have one in plain edge and like it.Theyre thin and made for cutting,its about only spyderco i use at the moment.

I use the 4.5” and 6.5” plain edge utility knives in MBS-26 steel as my daily users. Been using them for a year or two now. They’re very thin and work well for most tasks. Not great for chopping but that’s to be expected with it being a utility shape. I also have a 6.5” in serrated edge which does well with bread.

I've used a Santoku for the past 12 years. I love it! It's my main kitchen knife. That and a small paring knife accomplish most of what I need. I have a couple bigger chopper/ splitter knives too.

I think the Spyderco budget kitchen knives are competitive with Victorinox (most of my paring and small utility knives).

Like others, I eagerly await the new bd1n offerings.

Last edited:
I have the Santoku and the blue handled serrated utility knife. Both see a good amount of use. They are a good value and compete well with similar knives by other makers in that $50 and under category.

The serrated utility is my goto bagel splitter. Works great!

I’ve got my eye on the bread knife - looks really toothy!
That Bread Knife of Spyderco's from the early 2000s was one that always got away from me for some reason. I would love an opportunity to snag one of them and I do hope they do a Sprint Run of that Bread Knife at some point.

I can't even begin to estimate how many hundreds of times I've used my K-04 & K-05 full Spyderedged culinary models. And I don't see myself retiring them any time soon either. I just used the K-04 today on a job.

I also love the rounded/wavy type of serration pattern that Spyderco has used on many of their kitchen knives over the years.

I already have more kitchen knives than I need but I don't have any "offset" knives and am interested to see what Spyderco's line of Z-Cut knives looks like when it's finally released.

I was also planning on buying a Waterway primarily for use in the kitchen as well but they are currently out of stock at Spyderco where I prefer to buy them because I'm an OpFocus member.

Last edited:
I have used the MBS-26 serrated edge knives for about 15 years,,, really like the SE blade design.
Have the 4.5", 6.5" and 10" bread knife which is my personal favorite.
Excellent kitchen knives for the cost.

I was prepared to purchase the entire set of Carter knives in Super Blue,,,, until I saw the retail pricing.
We have many other choices at 1/2 the cost with Japanese Hitachi carbon steels.

Regards,
FK

I have 2 of the MBS26 with the plastic handles, the 8” and 4.5”, they are fine for the price. I use them mainly as raw chicken knives and since MBS is so stainless I can expose them to harsh chemicals to decontaminate (bleach products etc) that I wouldn’t other steels. The small one is about the same size as a Police 4, thinner stock though.

Fun fact, the Stretch is a great kitchen knife, I use both a ZDP and VToku model for this.

I have 2 of the MBS26 with the plastic handles, the 8” and 4.5”, they are fine for the price. I use them mainly as raw chicken knives and since MBS is so stainless I can expose them to harsh chemicals to decontaminate (bleach products etc) that I wouldn’t other steels. The small one is about the same size as a Police 4, thinner stock though.

Fun fact, the Stretch is a great kitchen knife, I use both a ZDP and VToku model for this.
Good point about the corrosion resistant properties of MBS-26 and I couldn't agree more. But on the flip side I do want to warn everyone here that ZDP-189 is not very corrosion resistant and if you don't clean it immediately after using you are going to have a blade that looks like it was soaked in a variety of acids and caustic chemicals. I won't go into detail but I've found it true on cutting fruits and veggies on two occasions.

But again I've found MBS-26 and VG-10 both to be great kitchen blade steels. I forget the name of the knife company that was for a short time selling kitchen and steak knives made with ZDP-189 and I also noticed they were only offered for a year or so. Also most of my J.A. Henckels and Wustof kitchen knives seem to have great blade steels that resist corrosion very well.

I've been using and giving away the serrated utility ones for years. Great knives and great wedding gifts. Two brides say the Spydercos are the only sharp knives left :)

I have a red handled 6" serrated Spyderco kitchen knife. One of the best kitchen knives I've ever had. I threw one out from our knife block and the Spydie got the slot. I sharpen it on the Sharpmaker about once a month. Takes 10 mins.

Yes actually I have a K04 (I think that's what it is) that I "won" on the Spyderco forum in one of those drawings that Mr G does every now and then. I brought it to work (food service blahhhh) and use it all the time!

Good point about the corrosion resistant properties of MBS-26 and I couldn't agree more. But on the flip side I do want to warn everyone here that ZDP-189 is not very corrosion resistant and if you don't clean it immediately after using you are going to have a blade that looks like it was soaked in a variety of acids and caustic chemicals. I won't go into detail but I've found it true on cutting fruits and veggies on two occasions.

But again I've found MBS-26 and VG-10 both to be great kitchen blade steels. I forget the name of the knife company that was for a short time selling kitchen and steak knives made with ZDP-189 and I also noticed they were only offered for a year or so. Also most of my J.A. Henckels and Wustof kitchen knives seem to have great blade steels that resist corrosion very well.

MBS is basically a budget version of VG10, it doesn’t have the cobalt but other than that is fairly similar, VG10 is a good mid range steel. Unfortunately, many brands act like VG10 is a “super steel” and it’s really not...nothing wrong with it but also nothing special.

Having a set of ZDP189 steak knives is a sign you have too much money! Perfect for eating your waygu filet while your ocelot sits politely on the oriental rug!

VG 10 is not a mid-range steel in many peoples minds. It's just not the flavor of the month anymore.

Back