1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco knives with Maxamet

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Roger Lyons, Jul 9, 2019 at 5:20 PM.

1. Roger Lyons

Roger Lyons

Tuesday
    Hello out there. Never been on a forum before, so bear with me. I contacted Spyderco by email and by phone. The company statement is that they don't give out information on the blade hardness of their knives. This is a surprise to me. Maxamet steel specs give a hardness range from 64rc to 71rc. I have a Dragonfly in ZDP-189. It checks out at 64rc, and is does very well. If anyone has any information on the Maxamet rockwell on Spyderco knives it would be appreciated. Thanks

2. William Entenmann

William Entenmann

Mar 20, 2019
    Heard of an older maxamet pm 2 tested at 69, newer pm2 at 68+ ish. And a manix a 69 and 68 ish. Anything newer is likely around 68. But hey I’m just a dude that read some things, haven’t tested mine. Anyway hope this helps.

Roger Lyons likes this.
  3. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Maxamet is intriguing stuff, would like to hear more from actual users. There have been some comparisons with other steels regarding edge retention, corrosion resistance, but nothing definitive so far. Spyderco is the only company I am aware of that is using Maxamet.

Roger Lyons likes this.
  4. Roger Lyons

Roger Lyons

Tuesday
    Thanks much appreciated

5. Roger Lyons

Roger Lyons

Tuesday
    Thanks, much appreciated