Spyderco logo

Looks less like a spider and more like a tick.

Don't get me wrong, I consider them some of the best knives out of U.S.A. Earth.

Just sayin'.

I see where you get that....but ticks and spiders have the same # of legs so that's kind of an unfair judgment.
Regardless, I hope Spyderco rules the production industry for decades to come!!!

Yep spidertick thingy. When I was a kid and we would go to or drive past the Spyderco building I always thought of it as a chunky bug, never looked like a spider to me.

I actually like their logo. I'm glad it's not some fang-y overly aggressive looking sillyness. It's a fitting image to go with the funky looking knives. It was one of the things that first endeared them to me, that and the big old hole in the blade.

I actually like their logo. I'm glad it's not some fang-y overly aggressive looking sillyness. It's a fitting image to go with the funky looking knives. It was one of the things that first endeared them to me, that and the big old hole in the blade.

This. I think the logo is clean and balanced. I too, am SO thankful that it's not some obnoxiously aggressive "Xtreme", let's go listen to "I Hate My Parents" Metal inspired logo that belongs on an atrocious Affliction shirt...

The tick look drives a friend of mine nuts, but I agree with sutherland, it does the job as a corporate logo.

Yup, looks like a tick, but that's okay by me. Still one of my favorite brands. A while back on fleabay, a seller posted up a well-worn Police model, with scuffs & damage to the blade from use & abuse. A small blemish between the "O" & "L" in the POLICE etch on the blade made it look like, "PO'LICE" ["Poor Lice'].

~Chris

A buddy told me that Spyder, means something else, not spider. Like, important gear, or something.
Can anyone from Spyderco explain?
I like spiders. :)

The influence behind Spyder.

[video=youtube;mLcTWwh1Cpc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLcTWwh1Cpc[/video]

EDIT: Sorry, wrong video
[video=youtube;JlsoX_Hkd1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlsoX_Hkd1c[/video]
Around the 9:25 mark

Last edited:
I think something like this design is much better looking.
FreeVector-Spider-Silhouette-Graphics.jpg

Sal didn't want a menacing spider (there was enough to overcome - still is - without having to play down the wicked looking spider). He preferred the chubby, friendlier guy that we affectionately refer to as the "bug". ;)

Kristi

This works for me.^
btw, Remember the original Spiderman logo had six legs then it was changed to 8.

Looks less like a spider and more like a tick.
Congratulation, you have now joined the ranks of those who have made this observation and felt compelled to share it. Haven't kept count, but I'd say it's happened at least once a year for as long as I've been visiting this forum.

The spyder comes from the line of performance cars. The spyder was the fast, agile and exiting thing to have. These performance characteristics are what the knives represent. Spyder-co = High performance knife company. This was from a Sal interview, maybe the one linked above.

The logo is perfect, the picture above is way to extreme for me.

I always thought that it would be funny to have the logo orientated sideways to make it look like the spider is crawling out the hole.

I never really thought about it, but it does look like a tick, however I agree, I like the fact its not some scary looking radioactive super spider. It kinda says that the knife is impressive so the bug doesn't need to be. Kind of like how colt has a pony as an icon, stag arms a stag etc.

"When you select a knife by looking at the handle you're looking at the wrong end of the knife. A lot of people get married that way. But that's another story." -Sal

An awesome quote. An awesome company. Spyderco for life.

The spyder comes from the line of performance cars. The spyder was the fast, agile and exiting thing to have. These performance characteristics are what the knives represent. Spyder-co = High performance knife company. This was from a Sal interview, maybe the one linked above.

The logo is perfect, the picture above is way to extreme for me.

In the car world, Spyder is simply another word for 'convertible.' Roadster, drop-top, cabriolet, etc. :)
Convertibles are not high performers, typically. My guess is that it was all about a car known as the 550, which happened to be a convertible (spyder). Just a guess though, of course.

Back