Spyderco logo

In the car world, Spyder is simply another word for 'convertible.' Roadster, drop-top, cabriolet, etc. :)
Convertibles are not high performers, typically. My guess is that it was all about a car known as the 550, which happened to be a convertible (spyder). Just a guess though, of course.

Agreed, but I just about quoted Sal. Look at the corrected link above at the specified time. I was let down when I found basically "spyder" = topless. Sal can call it whatever and etch anything and I will always love them.

Haha, no worries! I remember hearing that interview and thinking, 'wait, what?' Lol, all good though.

I like it.

I like how the markings on the blades are low key. I had to look at the bug to decide if I liked it or not and I do. The spider pictured above is too much. I don't like spiders, they give me the creepy crawlies. Sal got it right.

Arachnis Deathicus
[video=youtube;O6lYzfapfQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6lYzfapfQA[/video]

I love Spyderco knives. Esp the leaf shape blades like the temperance 2 and caly + Milly.

The logo is interesting.... If you join the dots its a star symbol from a well known country in the middle east.

Hadn't seen those videos. Thanks for posting. Adds to my Spydie knowledge :cool:.

Not really put much thought toward it but the hole is really what says its a spyderco, then the cute spider on blade. If you want scary and menacing refer to 30 degree inclusive edge...
nuff said!

In the car world, Spyder is simply another word for 'convertible.' Roadster, drop-top, cabriolet, etc. :)
Convertibles are not high performers, typically. My guess is that it was all about a car known as the 550, which happened to be a convertible (spyder). Just a guess though, of course.

Some of the best race cars in the 50's and 60's were named Spyders. Ferrari, Fiat, Lotus, Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Porsche all used that moniker.
Here are a few...
a26d51fc818d7ffc7658467f895efac3.jpg

1ec56356b6ad168905a6fef443ad12b3.jpg

f19af9e5f761e15abb6801dcace44b4e.jpg

James Dean bit the dust in this little Porsche named Little Bastard.
5fbd87a9f6b73ab3197f2107f542f24e.jpg

Yeah, that's a Porsche 550……Spyder. Notice those are all missing a roof? The Ferrari is a 255, Spyder. Maserati an A6gcs, convertible version.

The 550 only came as a convertible, but had a detachable hard top. The others came with a roof if you wanted, and I guarantee they were faster, better handling cars. :)

In British English: all-weather tourer and drophead coupé were used for the body style known as the "convertible" in the United States.[1] Other common terms include cabriolet, cabrio, soft top, drop top, rag top, spider, and spyder.

-Wiki.

There is an interesting point regarding the cars posted above. The 550 was designed without a roof, which is a major selling point for performance enthusiasts. When a car is designed with the structural rigidity of having a roof, cutting the roof off generally has many negative effects. Eliminating the B and C pillar removes a lot of rigidity - thus additional bracing and support is added, increasing weight and reducing performance. If you're going to buy a modern-day convertible, start with cars that never came with a roof. Honda S2000, Mazda Miata (MX5), Porsche Boxster, etc. Take a car like the Corvette or Mustang, chop the top off and you're going to notice it.. More flex and added weight translates to slower, worse braking, worse handling, worse acceleration, worse mileage, etc. Weight is the enemy. To conclude, compare any car that comes in both forms, the hard-top will always outperform the 'vert.' The point remains, however. Spyder simply means convertible.

Fiat 124 spider.
fiat-124-spider-5.jpg

Alfa spider.
alfa-romeo-spider-48933924810.jpeg

Those aren't high performers in the least bit, lol.

Last edited:
I think the legs are well done, I just think that the body of the "bug" is a little chubby. Let's be honest, he could use some cardio... Even a little space between the body and the leg would be discreet and really streamline the look. Let's ditch the tick!

#ditchthetick
(Sorry, humor intended)

Back