Spyderco Manix 2 broken ball lock cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDX

hey everyone, so I just got a hollow ground Spyderco manix 2, the 154cm model with the clear button lock. I felt grit when opening and closing so I decided to take it apart and clean it. In doing so, the spring came right off the lock cage. I finally got it back on with crazy glue and then I was putting in the backspacer and had to engage the lock to get the last screw in and then that’s when the lock cage snapped in two.

I know this is a common problem with this older model and I was wondering what to do about it. Spyderco CS is closed today for Memorial Day and I’m not sure if they’d just give me another one (which I don’t want) or an improved one possibly? Or can I send the whole thing to them?

Any help would be great. I saw other threads suggesting a fix using a drill and pins but I’m not that patient or experienced enough to accomplish something like that. What should I do?

Spyderco’s are expensive knives. One of the reasons for the cost is they have a lifetime warranty. Send it in for repair. If there was a problem with tne older models breaking, they should replace it with the newer model.

There is no problem with the old ones, the new ones are the exact same but a black polymer instead of the clear one. I have 4 old ones, and never had an issue.

Some folks have had the bearing drop out, that's a known issue. But when you tinker and break the lock then try to superglue back together...., it's not fair to blame Spyderco for a fictional non issue. Sorry, but I would not expect a warranty, but would be thankful if they did anything to fix it.

There is no problem with the old ones, the new ones are the exact same but a black polymer instead of the clear one. I have 4 old ones, and never had an issue.

Some folks have had the bearing drop out, that's a known issue. But when you tinker and break the lock then try to superglue back together...., it's not fair to blame Spyderco for a fictional non issue. Sorry, but I would not expect a warranty, but would be thankful if they did anything to fix it.
I didn’t break the lock. It broke doing something normal, that it’s meant for which is engaging and disengaging the lock. The spring should not have snapped from doing that. And neither should the cage. Besides I’ve had a newer manix and the design is completely different. It has the two springs on each side as opposed to the single coil spring. Knowing that this is a common flaw in their design, their warranty should most definitely cover it. Don’t always assume someone was abusing their knife because they said it broke. Spyderco is great, they’re not bullet proof though

Pretty sure they all have a single spring. Did yours not look like this? My manix 2xl and Manix 2 both do .

These are the situations where selling spare parts would be nice. Maybe they could do that just for certain high volume knives. You're borderline not covered by warranty.

OTscEKF.png

I didn’t break the lock. It broke doing something normal, that it’s meant for which is engaging and disengaging the lock. The spring should not have snapped from doing that. And neither should the cage. Besides I’ve had a newer manix and the design is completely different. It has the two springs on each side as opposed to the single coil spring. Knowing that this is a common flaw in their design, their warranty should most definitely cover it. Don’t always assume someone was abusing their knife because they said it broke. Spyderco is great, they’re not bullet proof though

Not sure which new Manix you have there, but they do not have 2 springs. The older and newer models are the same cage, just different color. Plus, it's about impossible to snap one of the Manix 2 coil springs unless you snap the post that the spring rides on I don't see that happening under normal use. Just send it in.

Dude you said it yourself. You dissassembled and broke the pin. It was you and no they are not bullet proof but they are well built and made to last with one spring.

Last edited:
J JDX : do you really consider taking a knife apart, then applying some crazy glue to the internal mechanism, to be normal use?

It's no wonder companies need to clarify their warranty to protect against some truly zany stuff. Ruins it for the rest of us.

All the pretentious pricks on here are really annoying. It was normal use and pressure. There was no reason for it to fall apart the way it did. An infant would’ve done the same thing. If it fell from a foot up it would have done the same thing. The smallest bit of pressure and it broke.

All the pretentious pricks on here are really annoying. It was normal use and pressure. There was no reason for it to fall apart the way it did. An infant would’ve done the same thing. If it fell from a foot up it would have done the same thing. The smallest bit of pressure and it broke.

I, for the life of me, can't understand their pretentious attitude. Doesn't everyone reach for Krazy Glue when their knives break? I always keep a large supply of the generic WalMart crazy glue around for knives, guns, car engine repair, practical jokes, and my teeth when they fall out.

I dont think nor am aware that this is a common problem of Manix. But things do happen.

If the plastic spring pole is a clean break, super glue should fix it without a problem. OP - did you wait long enough after applying the glue before reassembling the manix? Can you show us a picture of what exactly happened?

If that's the case it must be some sort of a rare defect. If that the case imho you'd be better off sending it in to Spyderco than trying to jury rig it. The Manix 2 is a great knife, good luck.

I dont think nor am aware that this is a common problem of Manix. But things do happen.

If the plastic spring pole is a clean break, super glue should fix it without a problem. OP - did you wait long enough after applying the glue before reassembling the manix? Can you show us a picture of what exactly happened?

It's a catch-22 situation. Clean the gritty knife by disassembling it, and thus either exposing or creating a defect, and hope that Spyderco's warranty will cover it, or reach for the glue?

I'll take apart one of my cheap, "I don't give a damn" knives in a heartbeat. I don't take apart my nicer knives with good warranties. I reach for another knife, and put the gritty/broken/cursed one in the mail. Of course, the authorities may come along in the future and burn my Man Card for doing so.

All joking aside, JDX, I hope that Spyderco takes care of you. They're good people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back