Spyderco Manix 2 LIghtweight S110v

I work in commercial flooring. I use flooring knives for installation, but when I do my day job of project management/sales, I am out at job sites in dress pants. I got this knife for the steel, lock and weight.

My favorite steel for good abrasion resistance AND killer toughness is CPM-M4. Then I tried M390, also rocks IMO. Both steel types have been used in these same types of applications.

For this knife I can't say enough good. Its super light, strong by relation, clips very secure no matter dress pants or mountain biking/very active. The blade is very useful although the tip is delicate for the kind of work I put it into. Its already been worked off a few times now. I really don't know how much better this steel is than CPM-M4 and M390 because it basically gets destroyed before I find out. I don't cut cardboard to test. What I am saying is this steel, for my purposes, is NOT as stellar as either of the prior mentioned.

Here is a cell pic I just took after one re-profile and Multiple sharpening needs.

So in conclusion, so far, I would not coin this knife as a real hard use blade. I plan to carry and use it anyhow, I really like it. Maybe if I can get a few trips out that I am not jamming it in between tile/ardex/concrete I will have a little better feedback. Although even carving off wood out in nature it doesn't stand up the same either. This probably comes as no surprise to folks.

Interesting take on things, I have the blue BD1 and am a big fan. I should note (significantly) that I don't use mine nearly as hard as you do, an apple is about the toughest thing mine cuts. I have never used S110V in anything and just know it based on review like this one and am not really enthused to try it. BD1, on the other hand, I think is an awesome mid level stainless option, it takes an extremely sharp edge, holds it pretty well and also has very corrosion resistance. I agree that other color variations would be nice for the 2LW, I am definitely going to buy one of the upcoming black/DLC versions as well.

Search the sales forum and you can find them in M4, and occasionally Cruwear. Either of these steels might do better than S110V for your use.

My favorite steel for good abrasion resistance AND killer toughness is CPM-M4. Then I tried M390, also rocks IMO. Both steel types have been used in these same types of applications...

...I really don't know how much better this steel is than CPM-M4 and M390 because it basically gets destroyed before I find out. I don't cut cardboard to test. What I am saying is this steel, for my purposes, is NOT as stellar as either of the prior mentioned.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am curious what kind of damage you see, chipping, blunting? Also, do you notice any significant difference in sharpening/reprofiling the s110v vs. the other steels mentioned?

I have the g10 Cruwear sprint and really like the knife overall. I have thought about picking this one up to have a light weight option and prefer the scale color over the black or translucent blue on the bd-1 variants. In general though I tend to prefer steels that lean towards toughness, ease of sharpening as the knives I use most often tend to get a fair amount of damage and/or heavily blunted before I resharpen. (I would also say I'm only an intermediate or advanced beginner at sharpening, so again ease of sharpening makes a difference for me.)

It is a fantastic knife, which is why I own 3. Gotta have a backup for your backup :)

It is fantastic, I got one for my dad too when I ordered.

Apophis,

It Chips out quickly. There is no ability to do anything but sharpen the length of the edge down to the depth of the chip. Unless you wanted to just make your knife serrated....

Looking back M390 gave me the absolute slickest sharp all around edge, M4 got wicked sharp but I usually kept it with a little micro serration action, S110v I also go micro serration, but you need to know micro serration is NOT a coarse edge by any means. You need a microscope to see them :) All three will easily pass any cutting test you could imagine up. As far as ease of sharpening, I use a trend diamond bench stone freehand followed by a linen hanging strop loaded with compound from my belt grinder, so all three sharpen up with ease. I would compare it to sharpening 1095 with Arkansas stones :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Thanks for the perspective. Sounds like you're out of my weight class, lol. For me even s30v is a bit of a chore if I let it get too dull, but that's in comparison to stuff like Svord, Opinel, 8cr, etc... I have a lot of the high wear steels as well, but most of them have only seen light edc use and have not yet needed any reprofiling or significant repair. My Cruwear Manix sees heavier work though and is relatively easy for me to sharpen back up.

Got a Manix 2 LW S110 and really like it.

Just cut away about 100ft of old carpet so I could paint some trim. Cut better than the razor blade type utility knife. Didn't take that long on the Sharpmaker to return its keen edge.

Agree, it's not a real hard user and I wouldn't want to use it to cut carpet all day. But for the kind of use I normally do, it's great.

It is a fantastic knife, which is why I own 3. Gotta have a backup for your backup :)

I like that thought.
I have G10/154CM, G10/Cruwear, G10/M4 and FRN/S110V, not to mention a few of the XL version. I was using my M4 version as a work knife but I thought about switching to the Cruwear for that, so in a sense one of them can be backup for the other.

Welcome.

Travis, yeah, just not a real hard use one. Haven't cut any carpet yet. Some of the backs for commercial applications will destroy any steel. I think this will last a good while in my pocket.

It's an incredible cutter for sure. The ffg is great.

What I am saying is this steel, for my purposes, is NOT as stellar

So in conclusion, so far, I would not coin this knife as a real hard use blade.

Just shave off about 0.5-1mm off blade.
And then you will see why S110V is super steel. 😉

What I am saying is this steel, for my purposes, is NOT as stellar

So in conclusion, so far, I would not coin this knife as a real hard use blade.

Just shave off about 0.5-1mm off blade.
And then you will see why S110V is super steel. 😉

Back