Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight

Huck,
I got to agree with you on the BD1 steel. I find that I can get a very sharp working edge
that holds up well. Easy to sharpen and maintain. I have both the BD1 and S110V.
The S110v is great but once dull it is a pain to sharpen. Super Steels can be a super pain in the butt.

I have a lw Manix 2 with s110v steel, and one with cts xhp steel. The s110v version pretty much stays in a drawer. It is so hard to sharpen when it gets dull. I much prefer the xhp version. If I had the bd1 version, I would probably prefer that to the s110v blade. Of all my knife steels, the s110v is the hardest for me to sharpen.

Huck,
I got to agree with you on the BD1 steel. I find that I can get a very sharp working edge
that holds up well. Easy to sharpen and maintain. I have both the BD1 and S110V.
The S110v is great but once dull it is a pain to sharpen. Super Steels can be a super pain in the butt.

I have a lw Manix 2 with s110v steel, and one with cts xhp steel. The s110v version pretty much stays in a drawer. It is so hard to sharpen when it gets dull. I much prefer the xhp version. If I had the bd1 version, I would probably prefer that to the s110v blade. Of all my knife steels, the s110v is the hardest for me to sharpen.

I've heard that a lot about S110V, it's a nightmare to sharpen evidently. BD1 is a pretty good everyday working steel from my experience. Same with XHP.

Look forward to picking up one of the new CTS-BD1N LW versions.

As for S110V being hard to sharpen,I have to disagree.Been using a Dmt aligned sharpening kit with no problems,except for the polka dot diamond hones that made sharpening the very tip a challenge.

Last edited:
Look forward to picking up one of the new CTS-BD1N LW versions.

As for S110V being hard to sharpen,I have to disagree.Been using a Dmt aligned sharpening kit with no problems,except for the polka dot diamond hones that made sharpening the very tip a challenge.

Now that would be sweet. It seems the bd1n is a vast improvement from the original. Jealous of the new ones but I can't fault my original bd1 blue lightweight, even if my s110v feels that much better in hand.

At the end of the day, i also really like blue! So regardless of the steel i probably would have picked the blur manix

Back