Spyderco Manix 2 saved my A$$!

Last night around 10:30 pm my wife slipped and lacerated her head. i had to take her to the emergency room where she received ct scans and six staples. Once she was given the OK to leave around 4a.m. we went to a 24 hour Walgreen's arriving at 4:30 a.m.. I filled the prescription and purchased Gatorade for my wife upon exiting there was a suspicious man standing in front of my car. He approached me and asked for help i had no money and simply told him I was broke and spent the last 7 hours in the emergency room. he then said i hope your ready to go back and hit me in the face with a thrown tire iron he had hidden up his sleeve . i took a direct hit to the face and stumbled back a step or two stunned, he then approached me and began to reach for my pockets. I followed by quickly deploying my spyderco manix2 and thrusting right at him delivering a direct hit to his side. i had recently touched up my manix so it was razor sharp. It went in like butter and came out without a drop of blood on it. The perp freaked out and attempted to run to his car. I picked up the tire iron and broke both his front windshield and passenger side window. i made sure to remember the make and model of his car as well as his license plate. He fled the scene and 30 minutes later the car was recovered with both his wife and sister in law inside and the police are hot on his trail. I had to return to the emergency room for my own ct scans and 22 stitches to reconnect my ear and seal up a gash on my forehead. I got pretty banged up but if it weren't for quick thinking and fast deployment of the manix 2 i would have been toast...I thank the heavens i had the right tool for the moment. perp was lucky i wasn't carrying my glock17. Anywho as soon as i can get the case file pictures the officer took while i was having the surgery i will post them as well as post an update of the apprehension of the perp. Thank You so much Spyderco and remember stay Sharp my friends.

Great news!!! everyone.They picked up the perp on the 3rd of July,and he is being held without bond. God bless all of you for your support.

Thank you all for your support..i am going to take a break from posting for a while. when the time comes and i receive all the details i will let you all know. thank you all so much. I also want to thank all those hardworking police and servicemen who put themselves in the line of danger everyday on our behalf.:)

here are the pics of the aftermath friends.

http://s961.photobucket.com/albums/ae94/audiboy7116/assault photos/

I wanted to start by saying thank you to all of my fellow forum members for your kind words and support. Your words have touched the heart of both my wife and I. Now it is time for overdue update so you can realize how everything played out over the last 8 months.

The perp was apprehended on July 3rd. He was then scheduled for trial in front of a jury November 26th. He had a stack of evidence against him, you see I was not his only victim that night. Just the only one that managed to fight back. The perp was of course appointed a lawyer (one of many) by the state to represent him. The perp ends up firing two state appointed lawyers both of which tell him to plea guilty and do ten years following extradition to Virgina to serve time for other crimes, or run the risk of going in front of a jury and receive 20 to 25 years in Texas following extradition to Virginia to serve time for the other crimes. The judge gives him the ultimatum to either represent himself or hire his own lawyer at this point. The perp just kept on playing games and the trial was pushed back twice. In his mind he did not think he should do any time and kept trying to postpone the inevitable. Needless to say he finally plead guilty and is now doing time in Huntsville prison (home of old sparky the electric chair). However this did not come without one more incident.

Its Thursday November 25th, I had just gotten out of work around 10:50p.m.
I wanted to get some needed shut eye before the trial so i was eager to get home. About four blocks away i noticed an old 1980's Buick tailing behind me. I'm not a paranoid person but at that moment as i was inching closer to my house it caught me as odd the vehicle was still driving into my neighborhood. I live in a close knit community where everyone knows everyone and one can easily be distinguished by the vehicle they drive. I did not recognize the vehicle nor the person driving. Once again i attempt to not let paranoia get the best of me but i do prepare for what might come next. As i come to a stop in my driveway I kill all the lights in my vehicle even the light that comes on when my door opens.I have my cellphone in one hand, surefire flashlight in my other hand Spyderco Chinook 3in my front right pocket, 9mm at my side. I then wait to see if the car passes. It begins to slow and then comes to stop right in front of the walkway leading to my homes entrance.I am not cynical person and do not rely on chance especially when i am summoned to testify against a dangerous criminal in court the next day. I know everyone on the forum would not take some stranger showing up at late at night before a trial as coincidence.

The vehicle comes to a stop right in front of the walkway which leads to my home. At this point I begin to dial 911. I then approach the vehicle from the rear and turn my surefire flashlight on the person in the car. He was a huge thug size of a small bear with tattoos all over his neck. At this point i am on the line with dispatcher relaying the plates of the vehicle and providing a description of the individual and explaining that i was a witness in a trial scheduled the next day. This guy cant be up to any good please send a squad car i tell her. I suspect the perp in the vehicle was caught off guard and assumed I was in my home already. When I shined the surefire (250 lumen bulb upgrade) on him he was instantly blinded and frozen in place. I began to approach him trying to show that i was not afraid of him. I made my way to the driver side of his vehicle still keeping my distance while maintaining a cool head keeping the light on him. I begin to tell the perp to leave immediately the police are on there way. I am still on the line with the 911 dispatcher at this point. The perp then yells out: I'm a neighbor bro, bro, bro, I'm a neighbor bro. I then tell him i know all my neighbors so you can just try to convince the police they are on their way. Without a second thought the perp throws his car into drive and peels out fleeing the scene. A patrol car shows up five minutes later to take my statement. At this point i realize the location of my home has been compromised. The officers basically tell me unless he was on my property threatening or attacking me they really could not do anything. I just thought to myself by then it would already be too late. They did ask if had anything to arm myself with and i just nodded and said yes.
Well shortly after we went to a hotel and made arrangements to stay with family until we moved to a new location. The officers were not able to trace the plates to anyone and the vehicle was never found. I just wanted everyone to know that even after a criminal is apprehended they still have acquaintances who can try and do harm. Always be prepared and stay sharp.

A big thank you to all who serve and risk there lives for us.
Once again thank you all and know that justice prevailed.Also thanks for taking time to read about my experience. Now that it is over i wish i could buy everyone here a cold one.

Last edited:
Good to know that you are safe. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, both of you. In such emergency situations, the knife is a true life saver, since the mere sight of it sends a strong signal to the opponent.

Cheers to a long life to you and your wife.

-Amarendra

Wow that's insane! Good to hear for the most part you are ok, hope the other guy gets a infection though.

Wow man that is pretty intense. I'm not usually one to promote knives as weapons but in a case such as this our hobby can be very beneficial. I'm glad both you and your wife are ok. I'm sure they'll catch this guy quickly. Let us know the outcome.

Fast thinking and quick hands! Try to EDC about 6 knives and prepare to have a load time before deciding which one to use ;) I still have no idea why some people carry 6.

Wow that story blew me away and the crazy irony of you AND your wife seeing the inside of a hospital twice in one night.

Glad to hear both of you walked away with your lives.

Hope that guy learned a valuable lesson.

Thank you all i am already feeling much better just sore and having a little trouble sleeping. I will have some pics up by noon July2. God Bless all. Keep em Sharp..

Wow, just wow. I am glad both you and your wife are ok. It's a crazy world out there. Keep us updated and best of luck on a full recovery. I hope some good ol toxic rem oil gets into his bloodstreem.

Good job man, I hope you and your wife heal quickly. This post should be referenced for all of the "knives aint good for self defense unless you have training BLAH, BLAH..." BS that comes up when people mention carrying for SD. Have a good holiday!

Super glad to hear you came out ok and that jerk off got some steel in the side for his trouble. I hope the next time he thinks about hurting someone his side aches so bad he collapses.

Glad to hear you survived you confrontation and I hope you both make a speedy recovery, that is you and your wife. As for the piece of chit that attacked you +1 on a nasty infection.

Make sure you clean the knife. I had a nasty incident where fish blood left on a Mili blade discoloured it. Polished it out, but it sure looked and smelled bad.

On a side note, glad you're fine :)

Glad you are ok. This is the very reason I never, ever leave my house without my Glock33 in my waistband. Knives are great as a backup if you have nothing else for self defense, and yours sure did serve the purpose, but you never know what craziness you will run into in today's society. The Glock would have probably made sure this scumbag never does this again to another person, as sad as that may be. My life or my families life is in emminent danger, be ready to act. Always be prepared for the worse. Get well soon :thumbup:

Wow, crazy story man. Glad it seems you came out mostly okay, wish you speedy healing. And yeah, make sure there's no blood on it, blood rusts like crazy.

I hope they catch the guy.

Glad you are ok. This is the very reason I never, ever leave my house without my Glock33 in my waistband. Knives are great as a backup if you have nothing else for self defense, and yours sure did serve the purpose, but you never know what craziness you will run into in today's society. The Glock would have probably made sure this scumbag never does this again to another person, as sad as that may be. My life or my families life is in emminent danger, be ready to act. Always be prepared for the worse. Get well soon :thumbup:

Not to mention a firearm lets you defend yourself without being inches away from a bleeding man who's infected with who knows what.

Very Glad to hear that youre OK. I hope you recover asap.

Its too bad your werent carrying your Glock! In that situation your have been

entirely in the right to have used it. Good thing you had your manix thou.

Back