Spyderco Manix 2 xl (lock strength)

I saw the video too, and I'm guessing it was a lemon. Spyderco tests every lock design in-house, and the Manix 2 is MBC-rated, which IIRC means over 250 inch-lbs at the lock per inch of blade, so for the manix 2 you're looking at about 700+ pounds of pressure at the lock. I'm pretty sure that will do everything you need it too. Remember though, a lock is a safety device. Just like a seat belt. Don't try and abuse it, and it'll never fail on you.

I saw the video too, and I'm guessing it was a lemon. Spyderco tests every lock design in-house, and the Manix 2 is MBC-rated, which IIRC means over 250 inch-lbs at the lock per inch of blade, so for the manix 2 you're looking at about 700+ pounds of pressure at the lock. I'm pretty sure that will do everything you need it too. Remember though, a lock is a safety device. Just like a seat belt. Don't try and abuse it, and it'll never fail on you.
That "test" involved over strikes, hitting the knife on the handle behind the blade, rather than spine whacks, done while the pivot screw was loose. If someone plans to neglect their knife, and has poor aim, a fixed blade might be a safer choice for them.

I finally just watched the infamous test. Incorrectly titled~ should have been titled "How to abuse a great knife". But he neglected to include coating the blade with salt and leaving it out in the weather for a week.

John

On another note, why in the world would you spine whack a knife? If you are interested in that, you might want to buy a fixed blade instead.

Exactly. If you're not expecting to purposedly spine-whack a knife in real life then the result of such tests, whether success or failure, are of no relevance to your current decision, namely to buy a knife to cut.

Also when you spine-whack a knife you are holding the knife with the cutting edge facing up and towards you. I am not sure this is wise, for if and when the lock completely fails, the blade can be sent flying towards your face. Not nice.

I don't buy cars to wreck them but I do pay more for better safety features. Stronger is better. The satisfaction of knowing that my tool is overqualified for it's job is worth something to me too, be it high-end steels, stronger &/or lighter materials, smoother pivots, or an overbuilt lock. Blade steel isn't the only valid knife feature to obsess over within this little hobby of ours.

As for the Manix XL, I'm buying one soon & consider the lock to be a strong selling point. The one in the video is likely an aberration. I believe Sal was all over that as usual & probably had the knife sent back to have a look. Spyderco thoroughly tests their locks & markets this as a very stout knife. I have no doubt it'll handle more than I'll be able to throw at it.

Common sense answer:

If you use your knife as a knife, and don't confuse it with a hammer, chisel, level, power drill, or shovel, things should be fine. On another note, why in the world would you spine whack a knife? If you are interested in that, you might want to buy a fixed blade instead.

more common sense, if you want a better, more reliable and stronger lock, get a different knife. better locks out there

more common sense, if you want a better, more reliable and stronger lock, get a different knife. better locks out there

The knife in question is the Manix2 XL, the lock is fine when used as intended. In the long run, if you want a reliable device for cutting that will not inadvertantly close on your fingers, buy a fixed blade. That aspect seems to go overlooked by many.

Last edited:
The knife in question is the Manix2 XL, the lock is fine when used as intended. In the long run, if you want a reliable device for cutting that will not inadvertantly close on your fingers, buy a fixed blade. That aspect seems to go overlooked by many.

i think it's a perfectly fine lock, just not perfectly fine to rate it as hard use lock

He admitted the pivot was loose, if that's what you mean. How it got that way will always be a matter of conjecture.

Well, the logical conclusion would be it got that way from the "tests". What would a certain person gain from skewing the test? IIRC, the tester said he did not tighten the pivot after it loosened because he did not tighten the others pivots as well.

I seem to remember Sal mention that they were going to re-work the CBBL. I could be wrong though. This was back when Jim's video first came out.

Anyone have any info on this?

Well, the logical conclusion would be it got that way from the "tests". What would a certain person gain from skewing the test? IIRC, the tester said he did not tighten the pivot after it loosened because he did not tighten the others pivots as well.
Pretty lame excuse if you ask me. As for what a self proclaimed YoiTube teste might gain from a "failure", more attention perhaps? Isn't that the whole idea of beating things up in front of a camera?

I seem to remember Sal mention that they were going to re-work the CBBL. I could be wrong though. This was back when Jim's video first came out.

Anyone have any info on this?
Sal said they made changes, never gave specifics. Might have been something as simple as a better grade thread locker on the pivot screws. Give the amount of unwarranted negative press that BS test caused, he had to "do something", even if nothing really needed to be done.

Pretty lame excuse if you ask me.

Not at all. The idea is to get at them OOTB with no tweaking. ;)

As for what a self proclaimed YoiTube teste might gain from a "failure", more attention perhaps? Isn't that the whole idea of beating things up in front of a camera?

So why target one specific model? And just one model out of all the "tested" models? Pretty far fetched if you ask me. That knife failed where others did not. May have been a fluke but it did fail. I'm more inclined to accept things at face value rather look for "possible" hidden motives.

A loose screw is not a failure for any company.If there is some underlying problem dont you think it would have showed up more than once?

Hey OP, if the lock is something you're worried about, the Benchmade large Bone Collector is a similar knife with the AXIS lock instead of the ball lock. I've seen the vid too, I'd not worry too much especially if Spyderco was looking into an improvement (there was some sort of acknowledgement by Spyderco that they would be looking to improve on the design per Ankerson's testing results) over the original design. Of the AXIS vs. Ball lock, i'd think a steel bar with more contact area on the tang is stronger than a tiny ball with a milimeter contact area on the tang. But that's only my opinion on looking at the designs side by side.

Back