Spyderco Massad Ayoob

Finally snagged an Ayoob. I have wanted one of these for awhile. I really like it. Very slim in the pocket and feels great in the hand. Awesome fit and finish as well. Wish Spyderco would do a sprint run of these blades in the future. A true quality piece. Here are some pics.:D

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

All right!!! you got the serrated model. Now I am not a serrated fanatic per se like Spydutch and a couple of others here on the Forum. But there are 3 Spyders that I just love with fully serrated blades and this Massad Ayoob model is one of them. With the blade in a convex geometry it would make an excellent slasher.

The only gripe I have about it is that I wish they would make a sprint run of them with either a Linen Micarta or G-10 handle. But it's a beautiful knife and well constructed.

Good catch! Does anybody else think that this would be a great candidate for the wave?

- Chris

WOW I like it alot and therefore will send Spyderco pestering emails everyday until they put it back into production or I get lucky enough to find one :)

Oh yeah, how much did you get it for, if you don't mind my asking. I'll be looking for one and would like to know what a good price is.

holy CRAP, never heard of or seen that before! What a sexy piece!!

wowowee (j/k, i haven't even seen Borat's movie)

Dude that thing looks wicked. Where do I sign up for the Me Too list we're gonna send to Sal? :D

I saw that review quite some time ago. I heard that Massad Ayoob himself did a review on the knife either in BACK WOODS HOME or one of the other magazines that he writes for.

I think one thing that really killed the sales of that knife was 9-11. It came out about that time and the Middle Eastern name probably didn't help it any. In spite of the fact that Massad Ayoob is 100% a patriotic American and a decent guy.

Also the knife with it's pistol grip handle was somewhat misunderstood by a lot of the knife community. I love both of mine ( SE & PE) and I won't trade either one of them. I carry the serrated model when I want to carry an SD knife. I want one with either a Micarta or G-10 or Peel Ply Carbon Fiber handle. Hint, Hint

I saw that review quite some time ago. I heard that Massad Ayoob himself did a review on the knife either in BACK WOODS HOME or one of the other magazines that he writes for.

I think one thing that really killed the sales of that knife was 9-11. It came out about that time and the Middle Eastern name probably didn't help it any. In spite of the fact that Massad Ayoob is 100% a patriotic American and a decent guy.

Also the knife with it's pistol grip handle was somewhat misunderstood by a lot of the knife community. I love both of mine ( SE & PE) and I won't trade either one of them. I carry the serrated model when I want to carry an SD knife. I want one with either a Micarta or G-10 or Peel Ply Carbon Fiber handle. Hint, Hint

Interesting take on what hurt the sales of this blade. It really is too bad as it is one of the coolest Spyderco's of all time. It is truly a purpose built folder. All business.

I am a huge fan of Massad. I have read and own all of his books and this folder compliments them well.

I agree, a G10 version would be absolutely awesome. I am also a fan of the serrations on this model, but not a big fan of serrations in general. They really work on this blade for some reason.

G10 in this knife would be awesome. I agree with Rearic too that it would be better suited as a tip up knife.

I really don't understand why some Spydercos don't make it and others do. There are a bunch of great Spydercos like the Massad Ayoob that were dropped while knives costs just as much are kept in the line up. I know it all has to do with sales but that is my point. Why wouldn't the Ayoob appeal to just as many people as say the Civilian. The Ayoob is at least as usefull as the Civilian if not more so.

I really don't understand why some Spydercos don't make it and others do. There are a bunch of great Spydercos like the Massad Ayoob that were dropped while knives costs just as much are kept in the line up. I know it all has to do with sales but that is my point. Why wouldn't the Ayoob appeal to just as many people as say the Civilian. The Ayoob is at least as usefull as the Civilian if not more so.

It baffles the hell out of me too Kevin. What's funny is though and this Massad Ayoob shares in this phenomemon and that is when a really good, but under-appreciated Spyder get's discontinued then after about a 3 to 5 month period it's value really catapults and the collector community ends up driving them upward. There are several examples of that besides the Ayoob. Just look at the following:
Gunting
All of the Bob Lum models
Ti ATR
all of the Dyad models
Perrin fixed ( first model)
JD Smth
All of these models were sluggish at best when they were in production. But the Spyder Msytique is real. I can't say what drives it but the Ayoob model is a prime example of what I'm trying to get across. I saw Gunting models just 2 years ago at a knife show for less than $75 :eek: I don't think you can get one now for under $175 now. The JD Smith was totally ignored when in production but now look at it. People have to be deprived of them before they take a hard look at them. And why? Your guess is probably better than mine

I'd love to see an Ayoob Sprint Run. :thumbup: I have a serrated model that I've carried off and on (depending on location and weather) since shortly after the knife was released. Great design & manufacturing went into this folder. I'd buy a new one for sure. On my dream Sprint Run model I'd prefer G-10 handles. If the handles have to stay metal, I'd like two slabs of titanium. For manufacturing's sake, I'd have no problem with an alimite coated aluminum handle like the old model had. Just make it a different color, something low-key please. Dark grey, dark blue, etc. If only one blade style was made in the run it would have to be fully serrated. It fits this design perfectly.

I bought an Ayoob when they first came out years ago; wish I had kept it now! Excellent knife and I too would like to see a sprint run!

I bought an Ayoob in 2002 and used it as my field/tactical knife for two years. I replaced it with a Skirmish when they came out, but teh Ayoob is just a damn fine piece. Wish I could find it now... it has descended into the mess of junk that accumulates with six moves in ten months.

OK That settles it!!! I think we are hearing enough voices from enough Spyderco fans to lobby for a re-introduction, Sprint run of a Massad Ayoob model with a different handle i.e. G-10, Peel Ply Carbon Fiber, anodized aluminum along with a blade with either ZDP-189, VG-10 again or maybe even CPM's new M-4 blade steel.

It was a great knife and for what ever reason we just didn't get enough of them made. They are getting incredibly difficult to come up with. I am sure you all have your own ideas as to what else would constitute a great Comeback model Ayoob variation. So let's hear what you all got to say. You have not because you ask not :cool:

OK That settles it!!! I think we are hearing enough voices from enough Spyderco fans to lobby for a re-introduction, Sprint run of a Massad Ayoob model with a different handle i.e. G-10, Peel Ply Carbon Fiber, anodized aluminum along with a blade with either ZDP-189, VG-10 again or maybe even CPM's new M-4 blade steel.

It was a great knife and for what ever reason we just didn't get enough of them made. They are getting incredibly difficult to come up with. I am sure you all have your own ideas as to what else would constitute a great Comeback model Ayoob variation. So let's hear what you all got to say. You have not because you ask not :cool:

Very well then...

G-10 handle (well, ideally CF, but I've got a budget), and CPM S30V or M-4 (ideally ZDP-189, but I'm not holding out on the chances of that happening).

Maybe make the finger choils a bit deeper?

Apart from that, nothing else to add. I'd even be fine if it came back just as it is.

Back