Spyderco Massad Ayoob

I'm totally in. I'll definitely take two. One to carry daily and one to drool over at home. Lets never let this topic die until we get what we want. Long live the new model Ayoob!!!

Well it's been a while since this thread has been hit on so I thought I would give you good folks a reminder. This idea of a revamped, reintroduced C-60 Massad Ayoob model will not die in my head I can assure you. This thread got way too much interest to just sweep it under the rug.

So far we have a very interesting and broad range of input. Every blade steel From ZDP-189 to Cowry X to M-4. Handle materials: Well there are some great possibilities for handles. I personally would like either Peel Ply CF, G-10 or Micarta.

It's been while since Massad Ayoob chimed in on this one but I do want him to know that there are a few of us "die hards" that are not going to let this fade away. That pistol grip design is really ahead of it's time in one aspect but sorely needed by professionals. Not only would this be a super first responder knife it could fit several cutting arenas quite well.

So where did we all leave off?

I left off with an internal debate over tearing apart my original and replacing the aluminum with something (anything) else. Followed by the internal debate over sending it to Tom Krein and having him flat grind it (I just got my Endura back - WOW!) :D

I left off with an internal debate over tearing apart my original and replacing the aluminum with something (anything) else. Followed by the internal debate over sending it to Tom Krein and having him flat grind it (I just got my Endura back - WOW!) :D

I think your debate would be easier settled if Spyderco announced an offical Sprint run...:D

I think your debate would be easier settled if Spyderco announced an offical Sprint run...:D

I personally even welcome so much as a special edition, Sprint RUN. Because if they did that I think it would not only go over good but I think it would have a skyrocketing effect on all the Ayoob models already out there.

However my main goal is to hopefully see the model come back on the line up with a major face lift and blade upgrade. But I would in no way be disappointed with even just a limited Sprint run. The C-60 Ayoob has been in my top ten almost for the entire 3 years that I've been maintaining it.

One other bit of wishful thinking: to do the new Ayoob like they did the Spyderhawks. Have the serrated and plain edge both have different handle colors. It sure did a lot to bolster the collector value of the Spyderhawk ;)

Did someone say AYOOBS? :thumbup::D

IMG_4092.jpg

I would definitely buy one. Pre-order no problem.

Preferably G-10, any steel VG-10 or better.

I would definitely buy one. Pre-order no problem.

Preferably G-10, any steel VG-10 or better.

Interesting>> it is interesting how many people are content to go ahead and make another one with VG-10 blade steel. I personally would not at all object to a new Ayoob with VG-10. Nothing wrong with that steel at all. I was just thinking from Spyderco's angle that a newer/different blade steel would more than likely generate more sales. Even if it's sales generated from collector appeal rather than what someone wants in a USER blade doesn't matter to me. Because Spyderco can be trusted to only use premium steel.

It is amazing how many people would be content to use VG-10 a second go-around.

It is amazing how many people would be content to use VG-10 a second go-around.

VG10 is one of the best blade steels ever invented IMO. You know I'm a hard core steel junky that loves trying new steels but that doesn't take away my appreciation for VG10 a bit. In fact it's difficult to find real knife knowledgeable types that dislike it. Joe

VG10 is one of the best blade steels ever invented IMO. You know I'm a hard core steel junky that loves trying new steels but that doesn't take away my appreciation for VG10 a bit. In fact it's difficult to find real knife knowledgeable types that dislike it. Joe

Oh I would be the last person in the Spyder community to balk at them using VG-10 again for a possible re-intro, revamped model.

My thinking in using one of the newer, more exotic blade steels in a possible reintroduced Ayoob is two-fold. One it would be an excellent way to bring forth a new blade steel that Spyderco may not have used before. Also if this might be a limited edition, Sprint Run then it would make perfect sense to use something like Cowry X, M-4 or the newer version of D-2 to make the model sort of stand out like the Military model that they did with BG-42.

But I would be the last one to complain about VG-10. It's truly a great blade steel and it's properties are ideal for many applications

I'd really be satisfied if all Spyderco changed on the Sprint Run was the color of the handle. I can skip any other changes if that helps the project get off the ground. :) I'd just like to get my hands on another model. :)

I would prefer the finish that was on the latter models. It wasn't quite as "slick" as the first run was.

As for color...doesn't matter to me.

ive had an ayoob and a shrike and imho the shrike isnt very similar to the ayoob........

With all due respect I do agree that the AL MAR Shrike is truly a blade design all it's own and the C-60 Massad Ayoob is truly a distinct, one of a kind blade with a specific intent in it's design. I have the utmost respect for Al Mar's blades but Massad Ayoob definitely had a design that was unequaled IMHO.

The Ayoob is a self defense gem and few blades have gained the fame of discontinued Spyders like the Ayoob model has.

We need the C-60 to return. I repeat we NEED the C-60 back in the line up.

We need the C-60 to return. I repeat we NEED the C-60 back in the line up.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I say lets all keep this thread going until they cave and bring the ayood back.

Oh yes, you just took the words out of my mouth.
I do love to try new steels myself, but I keep returning to my old VG-10 junky C102 ;)

Back