Spyderco Maxamet

It is unfortunate because he does have a lot of hands on experience and could be a good source of info. Unfortunately he uses hyperbole and sensational statements regularly and either dismisses criticism or gets rude. I have no problem with him having a different opinion or experience than me. We deal with that on here all the time and it is how we learn. My issue is with how he presents his info and opinions and how he interacts with others and because of that his words carry no weight with me.

Last edited:
I watched the video and wasn’t impressed. This may be a sharpening issue and not one related to the steel. I have sharpened my native but never past 600 grit. I also use dmt diamond stones.

I believe that Maxamet is best with a very toothy edge and that is just not attractive to some people. Some knives are better off without the high mirror polish.

I tend to hear this too. I've taken my Manix Maxamet to the gold DMT stone (2000 grit) and it performs exceptionally in my experience. I'm not chopping or cutting metal or anything like that, just everyday stuff that I encounter at work that needs cutting. I've not tried Maxamet on a low grit finish yet, as the high grit cuts like a laser for me! And all I ever do to maintain sharpness is to run it across a strop a few times after each use. It's real easy to maintain on a strop by the way...

I thought the scratch pattern direction/orientation commentary was pretty interesting.

Here is another take on it.

This is the maxamet mule which has never had sharpening issues. The problem is with a fair amount of manix2 lw and native 5 lw maxamet blades.

I believe that Maxamet is best with a very toothy edge and that is just not attractive to some people. Some knives are better off without the high mirror polish.
This happens even before they get to higher grits.

That is your problem..

+1 I known this guy for a long time on another forum. We have pretty different views on what an EDC should be ( I do watch his channel), but those differences aside I wouldn’t necessarily take his sharpening advice.

more videos...

one conclusion i see consistent is that this happens on all the maxamet blades offered that's not a mule team 24, and happens when trying to go more narrow than the factory grind (video is 3rd post after this one iirc, he tries to sharpen out the chips with a very coarse alum ox stone at a steeper angle) this ties into what Apostle P has said about too narrow an edge angle causing the issue for him. i would suggest touching up on a fine diamond or cbn stone rather than reprofiling on a coarse stone. we need more data.

in any case, big brown bear has torture tested maxamet (also franky blades via instagram also did this earlier this year iirc). maxamet holds its own. however lots of folks having issues sharpening where the edge falls off.

@Sal Glesser have you guys looked more into this issue when sharpening? i would fathom a guess you guys have no issues sharpening these on belts on the jigs you use?

Michael Christy will not be getting production maxamet blade this year. but the future is bright, maybe next year.

Last edited:
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
This is where it happens
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

DeadboxHero DeadboxHero

a bit of an update from DeadboxHero DeadboxHero

so he says its not the angle or bur. that could mean its the type of abrasives and or how you sharpen it on those abrasives? i dunno, any other theories?

Has anyone sharpened it on a Sharpmaker?
Because it sounds like some are over thinking the simple process of edge maintenance.
A Sharpmaker is about as kiss as you can get.

Because it sounds like some are over thinking the simple process of edge maintenance.
No because they are alum ox ceramic and will most certainly not be a good idea on maxamet.

I have been reprofiling and setting my bevels on my ManixLW in Maxamet on either the 325 then 600 DMT or on the sharpmaker diamond rods and then finishing the edge on the medium Spyderco ceramics and I have not had any issues. This is at 30 degrees, sometimes inclusive and sometimes with a microbevel.

I have only been using the Spyderco medium ceramic to debur and finish the edge and have done the bulk of my metal removal with diamond stones.

Mo2, do you own any Maxamet? What have you been using to sharpen it and have you had any issues?

I should probably add that I have had the Manix for a full year now too. It has been touched up quite a few times now.

I do not think that ceramics are ideal for this steel and I wouldn't try doing more than just finishing the edge or light touch ups with them.

I would love to see Spyderco offer more diamond rods of varying grits. I would like one coarser than the current one and a couple finer than the current one. A set of say 200, 400, 800 and 1200 would be great and would compliment all the super steels nicely.

Last edited:
Yes, you can use your sharpmaker. The idea with Maxamet is to keep it from going dull yet it's impressive how long it cuts stuff you use a knife to cut with in the real world without blunting. Very cool

In my experience the diamond becomes crucial if you're reshaping the bevels and removing damage.

Also, I found diamond waterstones gave me a crisper apex over ceramic but geez, thats just my experience, Its not like your knife won't get sharp and you can still round and overpolish the edge with diamond waterstones too. So it's not going to make you a better sharpener nor is it the solution for everybody.

I like the diamond waterstones best for these types of steels and will say that works best if asked for my advice, but hear me out.
You gotta see where I'm coming from, I'm a knife geek.
I'm beyond obsessed with edges and have access to such great tools that I have the freedom to find what I like best because thats all I care about is "edge performance" which for me is all preference, I want a crisp "v" apex with a balance of Polish and tooth for my folders.

Hey, there is plenty of variety for other type of edge angles and finishes that suits others too.

In the end, it's probably only 10% better when polishing with diamond, who knows. Maybe none at all for some guys.

For the average dude, it will be just fine to just use the sharpmaker they might not even notice if the had access to both at there disposal. it's not going to improve your edge game if you're still learning. Just like how I can't buy a fast car to make me a better driver.

I've seen other sharpeners in person get good results with ceramics.

To each there own, its funny because as a Sharpener ya can't get too fixated on gear but at the same time you at least need something that works.

I'm not advocating my experience as the only way to do stuff. We all have what works for us.

About the abuse videos,
I've done some silly things with my Maxamet just to show and share with wide range of folks that maybe aren't so geeked out on knives and would not understand why you wouldn't do some of of the stuff you see with a Maxamet knife.

Anytime you share something it can be extremely polorizing, we all like to categorize things as "always or never", "black and white."
As you go into extreme detail with this stuff you see that line blur a bit and makes it difficult to answer specifics to a huge audience with completely different expectations and experience.
Especially when alot of us get super fixated on one detail when it's more about the sum of all details. It's easy to misconstrue information and use it out of context.

Us forum people are a lot more caring for our knives but in the "wild" you would be shocked what people are doing and expecting from their blades especially as a Sharpener you see damage you never expected.

About the edge coming off,

I don't have answers for why the edge fell off but I documented it. I didn't do anything different that I wasn't already doing. And it didn't happen again when I did everything the same.
I won't pretend to understand what happened. If I don't know something I'm not afraid to say it even if it drives people crazy.

At the end of the day,
I'm just a regular dude that likes knives. I don't have access to insane metallurgical testing equipment nor would I be able to perfectly interpret that data to real world information that wouldn't be misconstrued.

I haven't had any experience with a pocket knife at this hardeness and it's very exciting that a production company has finally decided to push the limits of steel for a folder.

I must say, It's good to share but it opens ya to alot of criticism. Not everyone is gonna like it and you might look like a fool but ya gotta man up and share anyways. Sometimes of course I'd rather just keep everything to myself since it would make my life simple. Hahaha

Hey Darby, let's chat about knife stuff dude. I sent you a PM. If your NOT interested that's cool too :D

Take it easy dudes

-Shawn

Yes. It is stupid sharp now! TL;DR summary: sharpmaker does just fine on the Mule Team maxamet!

Full version... I accidentally damaged my edge in putting handles on my mule team maximet. I work near Spydie HQ, so took it over to Sal's magicians to fix - which they did, on warranty! (Can you say "Awesomest customer service?!")

It was a very good edge, but to my eye was a little uneven. The Sharpie pen told me one side was hitting the apex, one side was hitting the shoulder.

I have gotten a little bolder with what I am willing to try recently, so last night I started with the 40 degree setting and the coarse diamond stones. On my fixed blades I simply put a 40 degree edge on them and don't mess with the 30. I wanted a known, 20DPS edge on this knife to start life with.

I worked it all the way up to the ultra fine rods. Then, I put maybe 6 strokes of the medium rods to give it just a hint of toothy edge. While sharpening, I slice phonebook paper after each step to test and feel the progress. I noticed clean slices just after the medium rods and that seemed to go away a little after I got to the ultra fine rods. Hmmmmm... That's when I got the idea to put a little tooth back on it.

This thing is now a phonebook paper slicing laser beam! It easily cuts standing sheets, as well as slicing on the top surface of a sheet held flat/crowned.

Yes. It is stupid sharp now! TL;DR summary: sharpmaker does just fine on the Mule Team maxamet!

Yes, you can use your sharpmaker. The idea with Maxamet is to keep it from going dull yet it's impressive how long it cuts stuff you use a knife to cut with in the real world without blunting.
-Shawn

Thank you for answering...SharpMaker works just Fine.

Reactions: 353
Question... Does anyone remember zdp189 had similar issues with sharpening?

Back