1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Spyderco Maxamet

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Mo2, May 7, 2017.

1. JenWrath

JenWrath

Aug 30, 2016
    So I've had my MaxaManix since the first month or so they were available. I used it with the factory edge for about 2 months, then after I re-profiled my S110v manix I decided I may as well do the Maxamet too.

As other users have commented, it's surprisingly easy to sharpen. I put a polish on it with some shapton glass stones, but started with an Atoma 140 grit. Did zero maintenance until this October when I lent it to a coworker who was thinking of buying a Manix2. I trust this person and told her "Beat the hell out of it." Made sure to not tell her the price either >_>.

Up until this coworker borrowed it for a week, I used the Maxamet for everything from food prep to light camp work - making stakes and just general campfire whittling. The main use it saw was push cutting zip-ties and slicing up a lot of cardboard. It never seemed to dull and I kept grabbing it day after day partially because it's so darn reliable and partially to see if it'd finally get dull at all.

I get it back from my coworker, get home and open it. She's torn a half inch out of the cutting edge length wise, not very deep into the steel. Also managed to damage the tip as well. The tip almost looks like it shattered. Took about an afternoon to get the chip out and fix the tip. I have no idea what she put the knife through and I haven't asked yet. I thought I WAS hard on this knife. I had sharpened it to 14DPS, so my guess is that she was doing something to put lateral force on the edge and snapped it. When I got the chip out I re-did the edge to 16dps. The difference in cutting is noticeable, but it's still good enough that the difference is only worth bringing up in a topic such as this.

Also interesting, while getting the chip out, I pressed down quite hard with my 140 grit Atoma. I didn't take it to any grit beyond either, no stropping either as I don't have a strop currently. I just don't see a reason to take it to a high polish or higher grit so far - it cuts effortlessly for what I use it for and the rougher finish matches well with the patina slowly forming.

2. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Great feedback! No issues sharpening like some.

Mountain Mike and JenWrath like this.
  3. Freedom Pullo

Freedom Pullo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Maybe If somebody notices that they are back in stock somewhere we can get a bump?
    They look sold out everywhere I have checked and I would like to pick one up before the first of the year

4. Jellophone

Jellophone

Nov 13, 2017
    Looks like bento has them in stock right now. 309 though

5. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    On the Spyderco board it was recently discussed that some (many?) of the Maxamet PM2s have warped blades. So that might temper some enthusiasm over this now rare variant.

ScooterG likes this.
  6. Freedom Pullo

Dec 31, 2015
    Is the Maxamet PM2 a regular offering (like S110v)? I did not think that it was a sprint

7. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Yes it was a regular offering and may be again. But it was omitted from the 2018 catalog. It's not being produced until/unless they sort it out.

8. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    warped blades that made it to dealers and sold to folks or just from the production run and never got sent out to distributors and dealers or sold to folks like us?

9. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    uxo2 and jbmonkey like this.
  10. Freedom Pullo

Dec 31, 2015
    I just found it on the other forum :(

I’ll have to pick up a LW in maxamet in the meantime:thumbsup:

11. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Oh no, not good. I hope they can at least sell them off as spyderco 2nds. To recoup the expense of them and hope they get the problem worked out eventually. Looking fwd to the next batch.

Freedom Pullo likes this.
  12. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    just checked mine. it isnt warped. i cross checked it to a s110v pm2, to make sure i wasnt missing anything. exactly the same. weird......wonder if it has any effect on long term use?

13. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    You... loaned... your knife?:eek:

Cursum Perficio likes this.
  14. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Mo2, BITEME and Freedom Pullo like this.
  15. SCBaldr

SCBaldr

Jan 14, 2016
    Quoted for truth. Very hard, high vanadium/carbon/chromium content steels respond best to a very light touch on the diamond stones. Be especially careful when using anything under 600 grit. Carbine tear out becomes a real risk under 600.

Mo2 likes this.
  16. husq2100

husq2100

Mar 3, 2013
    I would not be suprised if the PM2 Maxamet becomes the next collector PM2......

17. gunfixrjoe

gunfixrjoe

Aug 11, 2011
    Why do you say that?

18. Freedom Pullo

Dec 31, 2015
    I was lucky enough to find one on the secondary market
    If they are discontinued, I think they will a collectors knife... I plan on using the hell out of mine though! :D

19. twinboysdad

twinboysdad

Apr 10, 2015
    I think the last PM2 comment was inferring that there are enough issues with Maxamet that there will be no more PM2's in Maxamet

20. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Mine is warped but in all honesty I don't think I would have realized it myself. I can't feel the warp when I cut so I don't think I'm going to worrry about it.