Spyderco Maxamet

So I've had my MaxaManix since the first month or so they were available. I used it with the factory edge for about 2 months, then after I re-profiled my S110v manix I decided I may as well do the Maxamet too.

As other users have commented, it's surprisingly easy to sharpen. I put a polish on it with some shapton glass stones, but started with an Atoma 140 grit. Did zero maintenance until this October when I lent it to a coworker who was thinking of buying a Manix2. I trust this person and told her "Beat the hell out of it." Made sure to not tell her the price either >_>.

Up until this coworker borrowed it for a week, I used the Maxamet for everything from food prep to light camp work - making stakes and just general campfire whittling. The main use it saw was push cutting zip-ties and slicing up a lot of cardboard. It never seemed to dull and I kept grabbing it day after day partially because it's so darn reliable and partially to see if it'd finally get dull at all.

I get it back from my coworker, get home and open it. She's torn a half inch out of the cutting edge length wise, not very deep into the steel. Also managed to damage the tip as well. The tip almost looks like it shattered. Took about an afternoon to get the chip out and fix the tip. I have no idea what she put the knife through and I haven't asked yet. I thought I WAS hard on this knife. I had sharpened it to 14DPS, so my guess is that she was doing something to put lateral force on the edge and snapped it. When I got the chip out I re-did the edge to 16dps. The difference in cutting is noticeable, but it's still good enough that the difference is only worth bringing up in a topic such as this.

Also interesting, while getting the chip out, I pressed down quite hard with my 140 grit Atoma. I didn't take it to any grit beyond either, no stropping either as I don't have a strop currently. I just don't see a reason to take it to a high polish or higher grit so far - it cuts effortlessly for what I use it for and the rougher finish matches well with the patina slowly forming.

So I've had my MaxaManix since the first month or so they were available. I used it with the factory edge for about 2 months, then after I re-profiled my S110v manix I decided I may as well do the Maxamet too.

As other users have commented, it's surprisingly easy to sharpen. I put a polish on it with some shapton glass stones, but started with an Atoma 140 grit. Did zero maintenance until this October when I lent it to a coworker who was thinking of buying a Manix2. I trust this person and told her "Beat the hell out of it." Made sure to not tell her the price either >_>.

Up until this coworker borrowed it for a week, I used the Maxamet for everything from food prep to light camp work - making stakes and just general campfire whittling. The main use it saw was push cutting zip-ties and slicing up a lot of cardboard. It never seemed to dull and I kept grabbing it day after day partially because it's so darn reliable and partially to see if it'd finally get dull at all.

I get it back from my coworker, get home and open it. She's torn a half inch out of the cutting edge length wise, not very deep into the steel. Also managed to damage the tip as well. The tip almost looks like it shattered. Took about an afternoon to get the chip out and fix the tip. I have no idea what she put the knife through and I haven't asked yet. I thought I WAS hard on this knife. I had sharpened it to 14DPS, so my guess is that she was doing something to put lateral force on the edge and snapped it. When I got the chip out I re-did the edge to 16dps. The difference in cutting is noticeable, but it's still good enough that the difference is only worth bringing up in a topic such as this.

Also interesting, while getting the chip out, I pressed down quite hard with my 140 grit Atoma. I didn't take it to any grit beyond either, no stropping either as I don't have a strop currently. I just don't see a reason to take it to a high polish or higher grit so far - it cuts effortlessly for what I use it for and the rougher finish matches well with the patina slowly forming.
Great feedback! No issues sharpening like some.

Maybe If somebody notices that they are back in stock somewhere we can get a bump?
They look sold out everywhere I have checked and I would like to pick one up before the first of the year

On the Spyderco board it was recently discussed that some (many?) of the Maxamet PM2s have warped blades. So that might temper some enthusiasm over this now rare variant.

On the Spyderco board it was recently discussed that some (many?) of the Maxamet PM2s have warped blades. So that might temper some enthusiasm over this now rare variant.

Is the Maxamet PM2 a regular offering (like S110v)? I did not think that it was a sprint

Is the Maxamet PM2 a regular offering (like S110v)? I did not think that it was a sprint

Yes it was a regular offering and may be again. But it was omitted from the 2018 catalog. It's not being produced until/unless they sort it out.

warped blades that made it to dealers and sold to folks or just from the production run and never got sent out to distributors and dealers or sold to folks like us?

Oh no, not good. I hope they can at least sell them off as spyderco 2nds. To recoup the expense of them and hope they get the problem worked out eventually. Looking fwd to the next batch.

just checked mine. it isnt warped. i cross checked it to a s110v pm2, to make sure i wasnt missing anything. exactly the same. weird......wonder if it has any effect on long term use?

2p42pnL.jpg

0MWh5Vb.jpg

Last edited:
high carbide steels at high hardness needs a fairly light touch. Pressing too hard especially on lower grit stones can make edges do exactly what is being described. Of course it's possible it's something wrong with the steel on that knife . All I have to go by is my experience with my knives so I can't say. I will say I had that happen with S125V though. I started using less pressure and finishing with with Sic at 2000 grit instead of Diamonds at 1200 and used a much lighter touch. It makes a difference in my experience. I learned the light touch thing on hard ZDP.
Quoted for truth. Very hard, high vanadium/carbon/chromium content steels respond best to a very light touch on the diamond stones. Be especially careful when using anything under 600 grit. Carbine tear out becomes a real risk under 600.

Reactions: Mo2
I would not be suprised if the PM2 Maxamet becomes the next collector PM2......

I was lucky enough to find one on the secondary market
If they are discontinued, I think they will a collectors knife... I plan on using the hell out of mine though! :D

Back