Spyderco "mislead" about price increases!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it's disingenuous to accuse Sal Glesser of lying by claiming that he's offered materials costs as the sole reason for Spyderco's price increases. His own recent statements run contrary to that argument.

But neither do I buy the premise that Spyderco's knife prices are based entirely on manufacturing and other pragmatic factors, as Mr. Glesser's own statements counter that argument, as well.

Clearly, he views at least some of his knives as works of art. And it seems that he feels that aesthetics, creative processes, and other intangibles can (and should) affect the pricing of those pieces.

In recent years, Spyderco has priced most of its quality models out of my comfort level. (I don't shop much at the low-budget end, so I'm not interested in the Byrd or Chinese-made lines.) I don't think it's useful to compare Amazon pricing, since Spyderco doesn't sell through Amazon any longer.

So to demonstrate what I'm talking about, I'll use an apples-to-apples comparison from Cutlery Shoppe. This is the Military entry from a 2003 catalog.

IMG-9026.jpg

This is what a Military is offered for today.

IMG-9022.jpg

My salary did not increase by 94% in the past seventeen years; neither did the salaries of anyone I know. So no matter how you rationalize that price increase, I won't be buying a Military model casually these days because it's simply too high a percentage of my disposable income. Most other Spyderco knives are in the same category for me.

-Steve

P.S. - When did it become fashionable to post pictures of a knife from a brand you like in response to someone making an assertion with which you disagree? It's the Blade Forums equivalent of the four-year-old putting her fingers in her ears when she's told it's bedtime and responding with, "Nyah, nyah, nyah! I can't hear you!"

That $99 price for a 440V Military really was a special deal. It’s not a fair comparison. In those days, certain retailers got special pricing on some models. What is neat is the 440V Spydercos, particularly the Military, Native and Starmate are now highly collectible, something that will never happen with a Ganzo.

At a gun show I had the opportunity to look at about 20 Ganzo models. Some designs sucked, some were OK, but none were a quality fit/finish equal to a Spyderco. I really wanted an auto Ganzo to see how it would perform but couldn’t find one good enough in design or build to buy. DHGate product is much better, but broke in a couple of days.

Let us just ignore him...

Took me awhile but I finally waded through this entire thread and I think I just might have figured it out...
Maybe - just maybe - Ganzofan isn’t just a normal troll.
Maybe - just maybe - Ganzofan is ACTUALLY a MOLE TROLL, sent by Sal Glesser himself, to falsely accuse Spyderco of shenanigans with the sole purpose of gathering support for Spyderco!
I’m starting to wonder if Ganzofan is even their real name...
Either way - mission accomplished!

Took me awhile but I finally waded through this entire thread and I think I just might have figured it out...
Maybe - just maybe - Ganzofan is ACTUALLY a MOLE TROLL, sent by Sal Glesser himself, to falsely accuse Spyderco of shenanigans with the sole purpose of gathering support for Spyderco!

He owns Ganzo dontyaknow :)

SLUGWORTH!

Maybe Ganzofan IS Sal!:eek:
And the mod who ghosted his account.... Sal Glesser!

It's all coming together now. The ol' two-faced self-inflicted double-cross...:D

only thing that would twist the plot further is if Sal came out as Sal claiming Sal was lying about Sal's increased spyderco pricing

I just finished reading this thread and was thinking to myself "I guess I have to pick up another Spyderco knife, I haven't carried one in a few years" lol

If a $20 increase in the cost of a knife over 12 years is too much for you to handle you have way more serious issues than can be resolved in this forum.

And for comparison TSLA was about $4.50 a share in 2008, it's @ $450/share after a 5 way split last week. That's "astronomical".

Then I guess you are Spyderco's target audience.

-Steve
I guess I am. Makes sense, I have a whole bunch. But you know what? If I thought they were too expensive, I would do something really novel.......... I would......... buy something else.

Vote with your wallet. I am very happy with Spyderco’s price point, quality and constant innovation.

Spyderco’s prices are high but shall we talk of benchmade ? Or CRK ? Or Emerson ? Or <put a name here> ?

More seriously if a company can charge higher prices that is fine for me.
At some point I will simply just no buy from this company anymore

so far I am still generally fine with prices from Spyderco.

i don’t see the point of complaining, if you are not fine, just don’t buy from them

offer and demand, prices always adapt to the market at the end

Thread starting read like a sequel to Inception.

Sal should make his next design called The Spyderco Inception in honour of this thread and everyone who buys it in 2020 gets a $20 discount in 12 years which given the $20 price hike you get a net discount of zero dollars which in turn makes you $20 richer if you buy the knife now.

I should be in Spyderco marketing, I'm open to job offers.

Last edited:
That $99 price for a 440V Military really was a special deal. It’s not a fair comparison. In those days, certain retailers got special pricing on some models. What is neat is the 440V Spydercos, particularly the Military, Native and Starmate are now highly collectible, something that will never happen with a Ganzo.

At a gun show I had the opportunity to look at about 20 Ganzo models. Some designs sucked, some were OK, but none were a quality fit/finish equal to a Spyderco. I really wanted an auto Ganzo to see how it would perform but couldn’t find one good enough in design or build to buy. DHGate product is much better, but broke in a couple of days.

Let us just ignore him...
Damn, there was a 440V Military? And for 90 bucks? Awesome deal indeed. Kinda wish there was a mid-tier VG-10 Military. That’d be pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back