Spyderco "mislead" about price increases!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad to see more and more threads about not so good stuff some brands do pop up on GKD.
First Cold Steel's fetish on 4034 and now Spyderco's greed.

Spyderco will keep to increase prices until sales start to drop. They'll figure out highest sustainable profit margins and go with it.
IMO, they're overpriced since they're double the price here in Europe. I'm not into folders and their fixed blades aren't so special IMO, and that hole they put on their fixed blade is an unnecessary weak point.

The Tenacious is certainly overpriced, but I'm curious as to whether anyone has been able to find Sal on the record saying price hikes are due to material costs.

I agree that Lie is a strong word thus I have changed the title to "mislead".

While "increase in material cost" and "rounded handles cost more to machine" are most likely true statements in and of themselves, it does not fully account for the percentage of price increases on certain models by comparison. And these statements gives the misrepresentation to readers that 100% of the price increase is due to these reasons. Manix 2 vs Shaman for example? Both S30V and G10 made in the same factory, yet the price difference is astronomical.

When you sign up for apps and facebook etc and they tell you they wont' sell your personal information do you believe them? Every last company that collects your information sells it. Did you know the DMV yes, the government operated DMV sells your information? I would not trust 100% the owners of companies who stands to make a profit from YOU and their explanation to price increases. It's called a conflict of interest! Is anyone really going to say "yes, we feel this knife model is very popular with insane demand and thus we're going to charge as much as the market can bear to maximize profit"? No, that's a PR disaster and no one in their right mind will say that.

I'll repeat what I stated in the original post, I believe there is nothing wrong with maximizing profit. It's the altruistic pretense and and when anyone questions it like I did they get beat up that's upsetting.

So at the very least, I believe "mislead" fits better in this situation.

Last edited:
It's sad to see more and more threads about not so good stuff some brands do pop up on GKD.
First Cold Steel's fetish on 4034 and now Spyderco's greed.

Spyderco will keep to increase prices until sales start to drop. They'll figure out highest sustainable profit margins and go with it.
IMO, they're overpriced since they're double the price here in Europe. I'm not into folders and their fixed blades aren't so special IMO, and that hole they put on their fixed blade is an unnecessary weak point.

Good for the rest of us. Also, may I ask what you do for a living? Do you do it for free? Why not? So greeeeedy. See how that sounds?

Also, it bears pointing out that this isn't actually a thread about "some not so good stuff some brands do". This is about an OP who loves cheap, knock-off garbage clone knives, and doesn't like that a company who makes quality products, and who's one of the industry leaders, charges more than he's willing to pay. Don't get this twisted.

I agree that Lie is a strong word thus I have changed the title to "mislead".

While "increase in material cost" and "rounded handles cost more to machine" are most likely true statements in and of themselves, it does not fully account for the percentage of price increases on certain models by comparison. And these statements gives the misrepresentation to readers that 100% of the price increase is due to these reasons. Manix 2 vs Shaman for example? Both S30V and G10 made in the same factory, yet the price difference is astronomical.

When you sign up for apps and facebook etc and they tell you they wont' sell your personal information do you believe them? Every last company that collects your information sells it. Did you know the DMV yes, the government operated DMV sells your information? I would not trust 100% the owners of companies who stands to make a profit from YOU and their explanation to price increases. It's called a conflict of interest! Is anyone really going to say "yes, we feel this knife model is very popular with insane demand and thus we're going to charge as much as the market can bear to maximize profit"? No, that's a PR disaster and no one in their right mind will say that.

I'll repeat what I stated in the original post, I believe there is nothing wrong with maximizing profit. It's the altruistic pretense and and when anyone questions it like I did they get beat up that's upsetting.

So at the very least, I believe "mislead" fits better in this situation.

This still all boils down to your attempt to assert that you are an arbiter of what's "fair" for a company to charge. Spyderco sets their prices however they wish, and certainly do not owe you or anyone an explanation. Your title and premise are the only thing here that's "misleading". Spyderco has mislead no one. I'm hoping you won't require me to actually explain this to you.

Eh, I will anyway: they make pocket knives and fixed blades. If they weren't worth what they charge, no one would buy them. But people do buy them. They sell hundreds of thousands of knives a year, soooo....

What are you missing here?

Disagree with him all you want, but come on. You cant discount someone for their name. This dude basically isnt allowed to post without someone saying "well with a name like that". If that's all the argument you have, you dont have one.
I heartily disagree with this. If your screen name is "Child Molester", I don't have to know anything else about you.

Same goes for a name like G Ganzofan . This OP trolls Spyderco every chance he gets. :thumbsdown:

Good for the rest of us. Also, may I ask what you do for a living? Do you do it for free? Why not? So greeeeedy. See how that sounds?

Also, it bears pointing out that this isn't actually a thread about "some not so good stuff some brands do". This is about an OP who loves cheap, knock-off garbage clone knives, and doesn't like that a company who makes quality products, and who's one of the industry leaders, charges more than he's willing to pay. Don't get this twisted.

I'm not sure if you understood what I posted in the original thread but I stated everything you said in your post. Yes Spyderco can charge whatever they want as does any company. And if anyone's willing to pay their prices then yes that's what it's worth as that's how it works in a free market.

I'm simply pointing out that Ontario another US based knife company's popular Rat 1 did not see any price increase in the last 10 years which begs the question if a 75% price appreciation of a similar Spyderco Tenacious was really due to "increase in material cost" as claimed. And yet, 19 pages in and it's still Ganzo and chinese knife bashing, Tenacious is made in China as many of you seem quick to forget.

And if Chinese made knives are so despicable, I wonder why Spyderco, Kershaw, Ontario and just about every other knife company out there make various models there. Benchmade was the only company that ventured in to Chinese made knives with their Red Class if anyone is old enough to remember and got out after a few years . Benchmade > Spyderco any day of the week, especially when comparing customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back