Spyderco Mule Team 24 in MAXAMET Full test.

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
Got the opportunity to test the MAXAMET Mule Team.

Tested on 5/8" Manila Rope, cardboard, wood, power cord and HD Zip Ties.

Edge Geometry is 15 Degrees per side and sharpened to 400 grit for testing (40 Micron)

A few Out of the box pictures:

DSC_5655.JPG

DSC_56561.JPG

DSC_5657.JPG

DSC_56591.JPG

DSC_5660.JPG

Rope Testing, made slicing cuts until 20 LBS of downforce was reached. Made 1940 cuts and knife would slice printer paper after, very aggressive cutting on rope.

DSC_56611.JPG

DSC_5663.JPG

DSC_5664.JPG

Sharpened it back up for the Cardboard stage.

DSC_5671.JPG

Cut 4,000 Linear Ft of Cardboard, would slice newspaper after cutting.

DSC_5668.JPG

DSC_5670.JPG

DSC_5669.JPG

DSC_5672.JPG

Wood Cutting to check edge strength.

DSC_5673.JPG

DSC_5675.JPG

DSC_56761.JPG

Cut Power Cord to test edge strength.

DSC_5677.JPG

Cut HD 175# Zip Tie to test edge strength and durability.

DSC_5678.JPG

DSC_56791.JPG

Impressions

Interesting steel overall, I think Spyderco did a good job with it, very aggressive cutter on rope. Reprofiling and sharpening was straight forward, I use 320 grit Silicon Carbide to reprofile and 400 grit Silicon Carbide to finish. Takes a nice edge and gets very sharp.

Mine is on it's way to me!
Thanks for the review Ankerson.
I probably would have missed this if it weren't for you!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jim, did you check the hardness by chance? I know Sal said these would be 67-68, but curious if you've verified that yet? TIA.

Jim, did you check the hardness by chance? I know Sal said these would be 67-68, but curious if you've verified that yet? TIA.

No, I still haven't decided if I will or not.

Taking Sal's numbers on this one.

Awesome, thanks! So curious, which category would this one fall into? I am already amazed how well it did with the behind-the-edge thickness triple (or more) than the three that bested it, and more than the two behind it. I have to wonder where it would sit with a thinner shoulder?

Thanks for all your hard work on these tests!!! 4,000 feet of cardboard!!!! :eek: :cool:

Thank you for this, Jim!
I was always going to buy one anyway (two...), this just made it easier to justify.
I can't wait to try it out.

I take it that your tests for edge strength and durability didn't show any damage.

It would be nice (yes, easy for me to say) if you included a test that took the edge to failure for strength and toughness. It doesn't have to be a seriously destructive test, just enough to reveal the point of chipping and/or rolling. I tested some of my choppers on bailing wire. It was a non-scientific test, but it very quickly found the limits of edge stability without any serious damage to the blade. A lot depends on the edge acuity, but you standardize edge angle anyway.

Thanks for doing these tests. Awesome stuff.

I take it that your tests for edge strength and durability didn't show any damage.

It would be nice (yes, easy for me to say) if you included a test that took the edge to failure for strength and toughness. It doesn't have to be a seriously destructive test, just enough to reveal the point of chipping and/or rolling. I tested some of my choppers on bailing wire. It was a non-scientific test, but it very quickly found the limits of edge stability without any serious damage to the blade. A lot depends on the edge acuity, but you standardize edge angle anyway.

Thanks for doing these tests. Awesome stuff.

No, if they did I would have noted it. :)

Interesting steel.

Wow, great stuff Jim, always a pleasure to read.

I don't think people appreciate the level of precision and grunt work here.

the weight scale is pure genius
well done

OK Jim, spill the beans! :p I've seen you say that it is an "interesting steel" several times now, both here and at the Spyderco forum, almost like you're waiting for someone to ask you to explain further. Well do it already! :D (please) What exactly makes it an interesting steel in your opinion?

No it wouldn't.

It would likely do worse. ;)

Spyderco has it as thin as it can really be from what I saw in testing.

I would not recommend getting these things reground thinner.

Mine was .015" behind the edge out of the box and .018" after reprofiling to 15 DPS.

Would you mind going into further detail as to why you think it shouldn't be ground thinner? Does the edge just get too brittle when it is that thin? (That's my guess.)

OK Jim, spill the beans! :p I've seen you say that it is an "interesting steel" several times now, both here and at the Spyderco forum, almost like you're waiting for someone to ask you to explain further. Well do it already! :D (please) What exactly makes it an interesting steel in your opinion?

Would you mind going into further detail as to why you think it shouldn't be ground thinner? Does the edge just get too brittle when it is that thin? (That's my guess.)

That will be for people to find out. :D

That is what the Mule Team project is for. :)

Called the Spyderco outlet store today to pay for and have them hold one for me to pickup next week. They said that there was no reason to pay over the phone as they had "Plenty!" They also had mt20 and mt22's in stock.(anyone know what the mp23 will be?) I ordered Halpern scales, and a sheath from Sheathpro which is very close to Spyderco so as soon as the scales show up I can go pickup everything else and be in business. Going camping in Durango for a week next month and I'll get to try her out. Question, what bevel angle do they typically come with? Thanks

Called the Spyderco outlet store today to pay for and have them hold one for me to pickup next week. They said that there was no reason to pay over the phone as they had "Plenty!" They also had mt20 and mt22's in stock.(anyone know what the mp23 will be?) I ordered Halpern scales, and a sheath from Sheathpro which is very close to Spyderco so as soon as the scales show up I can go pickup everything else and be in business. Going camping in Durango for a week next month and I'll get to try her out. Question, what bevel angle do they typically come with? Thanks

Mine was 18 to 20 DPS out of the box.

Mine was 18 to 20 DPS out of the box.

Thank you. I have my m4 Para 2 sharpened at 12.5dps and have not had to re sharpen yet but plan on a 15dps micro when needed. Do you think this steel will be able to handle the same? It will be used a little more aggressively then my EDC stuff that my m4 get used for, typical camp site chores not hardcore bushcraft use.

Thank you. I have my m4 Para 2 sharpened at 12.5dps and have not had to re sharpen yet but plan on a 15dps micro when needed. Do you think this steel will be able to handle the same? It will be used a little more aggressively then my EDC stuff that my m4 get used for, typical camp site chores not hardcore bushcraft use.

I would recommend leaving it and use it as is 1st, then lower it to 15 DPS if you think it can take it for your use, they are thin out of the box at .015" behind the edge, Para 2's are normally .025" behind the edge out of the box. ;)

Everyone is different and that is what the Mule Team project is for.

Last edited:
I would recommend leaving it and use it as is 1st, then lower it to 15 DPS if you think it can take it for your use, they are thin out of the box at .015" behind the edge, Para 2's are normally .025" behind the edge out of the box. ;)

Everyone is different and that is what the Mule Team project is for.

Good idea! Thanks.

These things are 67-68 HRC and thin at .015" out of the box to slow progression is recommended. :)

Never held one in hand and I have no idea why I just assumed it would be similar blade thickness as a para 2. And yea I know what assume means, lol.

Back