Spyderco Mule Team Details

For CPM M-4 I'll pay the extra shipping. This will be the first time this steel goes through a factory to make it's way to common people.
A momentous occasion.

While I understood and have no problem with the Mule sold as it is,ie. no scales, no sheath etc, I was disappointed to not get any notification at all as to when it became available. The way the knife was going to be configured was crystal clear, no question. But after signing up and posting in the thread I expected some kind of notice. A simple bulk PM to everyone on this thread would have fixed any problems with that, the forums have done it for other things it shouldn't be that hard. I understand that it was explained on the Spyderco forums, but some of us frequent enough forums everyday already. Heard about it here, I think getting some notice here is a reasonable idea. And I think the calling names by any posters is uncalled for.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, and I think Sal and company are doing a bang up job on the program and it sounds like the first mule was a great piece and a huge success. Giving us some update here would just be a great addition to make things go more smoothly and forestall any complaints.

I'll look forward to the new steel being released and try not to miss it this time.

Syn

I don't really care how much it costs. I am sure the M4 knife will be a good value which really is what is important to me not the price. I just hope I don't miss out on it.

Sorry for the complaints, but a bunch of us signed up, as was asked of us, with contact information, etc. We were expecting to be contacted. If that's not going to happen, that is fine, but don't fault us for being confused when we were asked to sign up. If we weren't being contacted, what was the point of signing up? There are also many ways to have people join a mailing list so a quick mass message can be sent to everyone on it, even if it's just to say "The Mule knife #X is available for purchase now."

I was able to find the email I sent, on 4/6/2007, to "Muleteam@spyderco.com" as it was requested of us if we were interested. The information that was requested that I included was:

My full name, my BF.COM username, my home address, my email, my phone number, and if we wanted to sign up for a single knife, or a series, I had listed "Series sign up."

Sorry some of you think we are idiots when were were following Spyderco's instructions and then the information that was collected was never used.

Sorry for the complaints, but a bunch of us signed up, as was asked of us, with contact information, etc. We were expecting to be contacted. If that's not going to happen, that is fine, but don't fault us for being confused when we were asked to sign up. If we weren't being contacted, what was the point of signing up? There are also many ways to have people join a mailing list so a quick mass message can be sent to everyone on it, even if it's just to say "The Mule knife #X is available for purchase now."

I was able to find the email I sent, on 4/6/2007, to "Muleteam@spyderco.com" as it was requested of us if we were interested. The information that was requested that I included was:

My full name, my BF.COM username, my home address, my email, my phone number, and if we wanted to sign up for a single knife, or a series, I had listed "Series sign up."
Why are you still complaining, this was discussed over a month ago. :rolleyes:

Hi Natch,

Thanx for the positive comment.

It seems that there are more complaints than we anticipated. I thought I was pretty clear about the project when we began, I guess not.

I tried to keep everyone up to date on the forums. That's where the project was born and that is the source of information. I realize it may be "inconvenient" for some, but it is an "inconvenient" project for everyone in the business chain.

If you want us to sign you up and contact you, add $10-$15 to the cost. If we have to sit on inventory for 30 days or more, add another $10. If we have to make handles, say G-10, that's another $20-$30. Sheath $25 - $30. Then they're taking up so much time that they cut into other models, so we'll have to add profit. I think you can see the pattern.

We will try to sort out some of the problems on the next run (enlarged mounting holes, shipping overseas USPS, etc), but we will probably still announce them on the forums, ship from SFO, not make handles or sheaths.

We will probably have to increase to 1000 pcs for some materials due to minimum requirements from some foundries or factories.

We will look into a "sign-up" possibility, but using staff to list and contact 600+ customers (2 contacts) plus follow ups, and "Gee I don't want it now, can you hold it?", then secondary contacts, etc. is not what I had in mind.

sal

But i want it so bad. I have been loving the Mule1, I use my wrapped mule as a fantastic daily carry fixed EDC. It also makes a fantastic self defence knife. It is concealable ,razor sharp and the leaf blade would leave(no pun intended) a huge wound. The only problem is the 52100 rusts when worn next to a salty body. The M4 Mule2 would be perfection.

A VG10 regular or even sprint run version would rock.

Wow, "not just yet" sounds sooner than people usually imply.

I'd be ecstatic if it came out before fall.

I am going to use my spare 52100 Mule as a pattern for some Carbonfibre scales.
I hate working with the stuff but it will suit the M4 steel perfectly and I can make then nice and slim.

Well,
My T1 Mule rides happily on my CAS pistol belt. Cuts leather, pulls off primer caps, opens ammo boxes, etc. :thumbup:

Wearing it at the range today, it got rained/hailed on and hung in it's leather sheath all day. :eek:
I've read others mention 'rust' problems and got worried, until I arrived home. I pulled it from it's sheath to find it as clean as ever. NOT a hint of corrosion :D

Just keep'em coated in a light oil folks :)

It is rather disappointment because this process is so slow. I rather prefer Spyderco to hold specification on size and geometry and let anybody else to produce this knife - like Crucible itself with their own HT, then wait for each steel (sometime not interesting at all) to came in a half year.

This is from possible industry benchmark turns into some boring waiting line for years. I can do same myself faster.

Again this is mismanaged. Every steel and knife producer should be free to join the effort so we will have really everybody compete under same rules and in same position. I like mule in INFI in CPM 3V from Fehrman and A2 from Bark River. Also it will be grate opportunity for Crucible, Sandvic, Hitachi to introduce new steel and openly test how is it fit in the knife market.

But what it is now rather disappointed then excited...

Thanks, Vassili.

As far as I know, the design is not trademarked other than the round hole in the blade. Go ahead and try to convince all the other manufacturers in the world to make steel mules available to the masses. I wish you the best of luck in that.

If you think it is being mismanaged, I would be interested in seeing your projects of similar scope that you have brought off without a hitch and on schedule.

Goodness gracious. I shouldn't have to say this, but ...

NO WHINING!

There.

The Mule project is a boon to our community. IMO, it is the most interesting thing to happen in the world of knives in recent years.

And, for the project to work, it has to work for Sal & Co. They have a business to run. That comes first. The Mule project has to fit in with everything else.

I suggest that we all just cherish the contribution that the project is and let it work as it happens. I acknowledge that I woulld be disappointed if I did not get in a particular issue, but I would still benefit from the shared experiences of the community.

BT

Back