Spyderco Mule Team Details

Hi Vassili,

I like your idea, and I think it is a good idea.

I also appreciate that you are sharing your thoughts.

It is also true that it is a possible opportunity. It is just beyond our ability, at this time, to take on the project.

It is mostly Eric and I that would handle this type of project, and with all that's going on right now, we would have to drop another "opportunity" to pick this one up.

As you said, don't take it personal.

Thanx for the thoughts.

sal

Sal, I am personally disapointed with the lack of tolerance on this forum. Nozh posted so many posts and very nice comments on all forums. Why is that so terrible if he has some different ideas, proposals, critics? Should we all say the usual bla-bla, praising Spyderco without possibility to express a disagreement on something?

I remember better days.

Franco

Nozh posted what might be good suggestions in a perfect world where money and time is no object. It's usefulness in the real (eg this) world is totally nuts.

He then gets angry when gently confronted with his lack of reality and acts like a spoiled kid.

Maybe it's a language issue, but to me it just seems like he is acting like spoiled kid. I for one don't approve of that behavior.

Sal, I am personally disapointed with the lack of tolerance on this forum. Nozh posted so many posts and very nice comments on all forums. Why is that so terrible if he has some different ideas, proposals, critics? Should we all say the usual bla-bla, praising Spyderco without possibility to express a disagreement on something?

I remember better days.

Franco
Agreed. Nozh2002 has contributed mightily in other forums. The reaction here is disturbing. Not sure I understand.

:confused:

I anticipated this little experiment, but was unable to partake in the initial offering. As such, I haven't been following its evolution, and am supprised by the- well, whatever it is that is going on. Fortunately, I've got a second inbound.:thumbup: I'm sure that there will be enough melted kydex, blood and G10 dust on it when I'm done to conceal any imperfections.:D Thanks, I think this is a very cool idea.

I remember better days.

Franco

Hi Franco,

I think more effort is required to keep a civil forum. I believe there is a tendency in many forums towards combative behavior. As people more into and out of various forums, sometimes personality "viruses" travel with the poster.

I haven't been on as much for the past few months, traveling a lot these days. I try to diffuse rifts when I can. I always appreciate the help of others here as well that do the same.

I believe that in the end, it will be the effort of those of us that prefer a civil forum to make it so. We prefer a civil forum. We wouldn't bother to maintain a forum that wasn't a good place for all.

"If you want a better world, be a better person"

sal

Just out of intrest i know that the 52100 Mule was meant to have a msrp of $40 was that how much it was if purchased from spyderco?.
I missed out on the whole thing as i had no computer for a few months when i found out about it the only place i could get one was ebay i ended up paying $112 plus $20 postage then another $45 tax and handling fees as im in the UK.
Next time i will be straight in there and will be checking every day this is a superb idea IMO if they offered scales and a sheath as optional extras it would be good even if they only made them once you paid for so as not to end up with stock that wont sell.

Last edited:
It was $40 with free shipping in the US. I ordered the first day, paid shipping, then later got a check from Spyderco for the shipping amount. I am not sure about to the UK, there was a problem that international shipping was $50 regardless of destination. Sal has mentioned before that they are working on doing something about that.

schiesz

It was $40 with free shipping in the US. I ordered the first day, paid shipping, then later got a check from Spyderco for the shipping amount. I am not sure about to the UK, there was a problem that international shipping was $50 regardless of destination. Sal has mentioned before that they are working on doing something about that.

schiesz

I new i shouldnt have asked.:(.
But saying that if i bought a busse or even swamp rat the price i would pay eventually would be just as insane knives are about twice the price in the UK and if you buy abroad you pay 17.5% tax and $16 handling charge on top of heavy postage charges.
And today i seen mule seconds for $38 and $25 shipping also if a iteam is $20 or less you dont pay tax or handling so im gutted but lifes a bitch and at least the Mule i got is perfect.

Question concerning this thread: do I remember it being a sticky before the slight change in the forums a few days ago?

Should we all say the usual bla-bla, praising Spyderco without possibility to express a disagreement on something?

Fair point, and a good one; fora that are merely cheerleading groups aren't much use to anyone. On the other hand, there are different ways to express disagreements, too, and sometimes phrasing things along the lines of "Have you considered...?" or "I wonder if..." would lead to more constructive discussion than expressing opinions as if they were facts.

Question concerning this thread: do I remember it being a sticky before the slight change in the forums a few days ago?

It was a sticky, I "un-stuck" it. I wanted to be sure the thread regarding the availability of the MT01P Seconds wasn't lost in the mix. We'll probably leave it "un-stuck". The next one to be a sticky will likely be the next release.

Kristi

First off, everybody should be nothing but ecstatic that the Mule team project is moving forward in any capacity.

The issue of re-sellers, while noteworthy, is being taken care of as best as can be. Aside from the two per person limit, I think the issue can be taken care of fairly easily just by consistently making enough knives.
After three or four runs you figure out how many people usually buy, and make about that many.
If enough are made for everyone who usually wants one then the secondary market should be virtually non-existent.

There probably isn't anything stopping Sal from doing multiple runs either (if demand for one particular run was significantly higher than expected).

Just my opinion but i honestly think this project has turned out more popular than expected.
I can understand keeping numbers low to start with as they could have been stuck with a load of knives they cant sell but now they have seen the response and intrest im 100% convinced they could more than double the 600 they made and they would still sell in no time.
It should be intresting to see what happens over the next year or so as i can see this beign a big sucess for spyderco IMO.
It would be good IMO if they eventually decide on the best steel or steels and make mules as part of there standard line not limited editions with handles sheath etc i know id buy one in a heart beat and would pay whatever as i know spydercos prices are always reasonable IMO.

It was a sticky, I "un-stuck" it. I wanted to be sure the thread regarding the availability of the MT01P Seconds wasn't lost in the mix. We'll probably leave it "un-stuck". The next one to be a sticky will likely be the next release.

Kristi

Got it, thanks!

Just my opinion but i honestly think this project has turned out more popular than expected.

Heh, understatement of the year award! :)

The big question is, how popular will the next one be? Especially if it costs three times as much as the first one. Exotic steels cost more for material, and high wear resistence increases machining costs. Often the heat-treatment gets expensive as well, as the high temperatures used tend to shorten the equipment life.

One of the great things about the Mule knife is the design it's self as a using knife and not just a way to test steel. I am very very happy with the design especially the edge geometry and size. I would love to see the design in VG 10 or the Byrd steel maybe with removable FRN scales or even no scales or just a cord wrap. It would be like a fixed Tenacious and a great platform for customizing. My Mule is one of the sharpest knives I own. Some of the credit goes to the steel but I think mostly it is the edge geometry.

I don't care how much the next one costs because I am so thrilled with the last one.

The big question is, how popular will the next one be? Especially if it costs three times as much as the first one. Exotic steels cost more for material, and high wear resistence increases machining costs. Often the heat-treatment gets expensive as well, as the high temperatures used tend to shorten the equipment life.

I don't know....... the only person I can speak for is me.

Same price, twice as much, three times as much, or five, six, or seven times as much............. I am in for the duration unless I have a total finanical reversal which made it impossible for me to participate.

IF these continue to be done on a ..... what I would consider .....
"cost, plus very little"....... basis....... I am in regardless. :thumbup:

IF Spyderco is good enough to do this......... I am gonna be "good enough" to do my part and buy them.......... regardless of price.

Just my .02........:thumbup: ;)

These Mule "2nd"s are still great sharp tools.:D

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7240372

You can see the cosmetic stain on mine, but it's a great sharp tool that cuts great even with Friction tape for scales ;)

Same with my "seconds" Harold........ just a little stain that is ever so lightly etched in to the steel.

Cosmetics that really will not affect one thing.....:D
They are also "sharp as blue blazes" ........... :thumbup:

In fact..... to me..... the stain pattern looks kind cool.... :thumbup:

Back