Spyderco Native 5

Spyderco fixed their website with a proper pic

If the larger pic is linked to it, it will be correct when you click it

It might update the thumbnail if you refresh your internet cache
I see they changed the small one since the last time I visited, but the big one was good then while the small one was not. That visit was my first to the page, so there would not have been any images cached even if I allowed caching, which I don't.

It looks just like the Sage to me. What's different, really, about this knife? :confused:

I like my original Native FRN very much. But it has a totally different blade shape than the Native 5.
To quote Sal, on the logic of having the Caly 3, Native, and Sage, respectively, in the lineup: "sometimes you feel like a hump, sometimes you don't, and sometimes you just can't decide". Native has no thumb ramp, Sage a small one, Caly 3 a pronounced one.

Thanks for the info, Sr. Deacon! :)

A follow-up comment/question: the blade shape of the original Native is gone, replaced by the same style of leaf shape, FFG blade that several other models already have. Is this FFG leaf shape blade so superior that it belongs on so many models, with the major differences just the handle, hump, and size/thickness of blade (and maybe slight changes in blade shape, but nothing like the original Native's spear/swedge shape)? One of the things I like so much about the original Native is the pointy blade.

Thanks for the info, Sr. Deacon! :)

A follow-up comment/question: the blade shape of the original Native is gone, replaced by the same style of leaf shape, FFG blade that several other models already have. Is this FFG leaf shape blade so superior that it belongs on so many models, with the major differences just the handle, hump, and size/thickness of blade (and maybe slight changes in blade shape, but nothing like the original Native's spear/swedge shape)? One of the things I like so much about the original Native is the pointy blade.
I think appearances can be deceiving. While I don't have a Native V yet, I think the blade outline will be exactly the same as that on all the regular FRN C41 Natives from the GIN-1 thru the S30V versions, the older G-10 Natives, the FFG blade on the 2009 Forum Native, and the FFG with beveled spine blade on the CF/VG-10 Native IV. I have all of those and can say for a fact that they all fit the same tracing. As for the why, I think it's partly because FFG blades slice better and partly because FFG blades are in vogue right now just as hollow ground was all the rage a few years back. Personally, I wish they'd gone with the "plain vanilla" FFG blade from the 2009 Forum Native since I dislike both swedge grinds and beveled spines.

I haven't been around for awhile, which would explain the "sudden" change in blade shape from the original Native. ;)

Beautiful knife. I just wish they could Un-drill all those holes on the front handle. I'd never use them, and they take away a little bit of the beauty, especially on the Ti version.

Beautiful knife. I just wish they could Un-drill all those holes on the front handle. I'd never use them, and they take away a little bit of the beauty, especially on the Ti version.
I'd be in favor of them omitting all the holes and just offering a separate kit containing a clip, screws, a drill, and a tap. Or, at the very least, supply it set up for LH TD carry only.

How does it compare in size to the Caly3? The Sage is wider, but is the Native as thin or is it bulkier?

How does it compare in size to the Caly3? The Sage is wider, but is the Native as thin or is it bulkier?
Don't yet have a Native V, but assuming it's the same size and shape as the regular C41 and the Native IV, you can judge for yourself...

C3-N4-S1-closed.JPG

C3-N4-S1-open.JPG

Again, I can't really speak for the Native V, but the Native IV and Caly 3 are identical in thickness, or at least so close I can't notice any difference. The Sage I is noticeably thicker. To me, they're all fairly close and each has its good and bad points.

Thanks for the photos. The earlier Native looked a little more compact than the Caly3,
but certainly larger than the Chaparral.

I can only wish for Ti variant to be clipless.
But for now I am getting G10.

Mine came today. Great knife as expected from Native5. I am big fan of FFG Natives and really like refined jimpings. Lock is smooth like butter. No dent. Paul, thank you. Sorry, I mean Sal, thank you :):D. Ergos as always on Native are outstanding. The knife fits my hand like a glove. Very sharp. And, very important for me

Golden.jpg

made in Golden
Absolutely terrific EDC. Looks good too.
N1.jpg

Nativeclipside.jpg

somehow texture of G10 on non-clip side looks different to me, almost like CF on my superhawk:confused:
or this is just imagination? you really cannot see this on picture. Just tell me about yours
Great knife, Thank you Sal

Been waiting for this one for awhile. Just wish it came with a black clip like the original Native and Native IV versions I have.

was at the outlet store a couple of days ago,and I had the same feeling about the texture of the g10 seems like it isn't as aggressive which I definitely prefer( also think it's a lot lighter than I expected ).I have mine coming in the mail can't wait to get it.

Been waiting for this one for awhile. Just wish it came with a black clip like the original Native and Native IV versions I have.
You could buy a black clip from SFO, or drop me an email once you have the Native and I'd swap you one. Am sure there are others who'd do the same.

Thanx for all of the comments and pics. appreciate. The "Deacon lock-bar", er; dentless lock-bar was challenging. We kept shrinking up the well and deepening the hammer until we felt it would be safe. Kudos to Eric, Doug and Tom. There were dozens of refinements and prototypes made of the lock-bar geometry. Hope you enjoy the efforts extended to create this model. The more I carry and use it, the more I respect these gentlemen.

sal

I can't wait to get my hands on one. Para 2, Native 5, Yojimbo 2... it's been a great year.

I know that I'll end up with both eventually anyway, but are there any plans or rumors of a black-DLC blade on the Native 5?

I'm really liking my black bladed Para 2, which is my first black bladed blade.(does that make sense?)

Back