Spyderco Navigator Vs Meyerco Blackie Collins

I'm looking at replacing my Meyerco Blackie Collins with a Spyderco Navigator
This is a knife I keep in my right front pocket as a EDC.

Looking for your input:

What do you think about the Navigator?
Would this be a move up from my Meyerco?

Here is a photo of my Meyerco:

Attachments

• meyerco.jpg
    meyerco.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 173
I have a navigator like the one in your link, I haven't owned any Meyerco though I have handled some of them.

IMO, it will definately be a step up. One heads up for you, in both my copilot and the navigator they are pretty stiff opening when new. They are much smoother after some break in time.

Dave

I've owned a few of Meyerco's offerings including the Rascal folder. While it's okay for light casual use, don't put much faith in the integrity of it's whimpy botton lock. Meyerco has the gadget factor, but Spyderco has the quality and the reputation.

The Meyerco "Blackie" that I had had a nicely ground AUS-8 drop point blade.

However, the zytel handle, the cheap tinny back piece that held the clip, the push-button opening device and the liner lock release were all way below my quality expectations.

Although I am not particulary fond of wide blade patterns such as the Navigator, I think you will find the quality of design and construction of this Spyderco knife to be far superior to any Meyerco knife.

The Meyerco's are pretty cool, but I would place more trust in Spyderco. The Navigator fits my hands perfectly and makes a nice user gent knife. Plus, if you find a new one, you can have it with the awesome VG-10 steel which just plain rocks. As far as opening goes, it might be stiff at first, but they really do get pretty slick with time.
Good luck,
Matt

IMO I find your piece of Meyerco odd looking... the blade is so much smaller than the handle.
I don't have Meyerco so I wouldn't comment, but a Spydie is definately a great piece. You know it'll cut well.

Originally posted by Jazzman
Plus, if you find a new one, you can have it with the awesome VG-10 steel which just plain rocks. As far as opening goes, it might be stiff at first, but they really do get pretty slick with time.
Good luck,
Matt

Are just the new ones VG-10 then?
I seen on some websites ( like here ) list the steel as GIN-1.
Seems like the GIN-1 are lower price also.

I was looking to get one in VG-10. I thought they were all this way.
About when did they change them to the VG-10.

I thought maybe the ones listing the steel as GIN-1 was a mistake because the spyderco web site said the steel was VG-10.

I posted in the wanted section of BF for one, maybe I should say I'm looking for one in VG-10 only so I don't get the old style.

Originally posted by el cid
Any Spyderco would be a move up from Meyerco!;) :D

From what I have seen from spyderco (salsa and massad ayoob), I was thinking it would be a step (or two :)) up from meyerco.

Originally posted by DaveH
I have a navigator like the one in your link, I haven't owned any Meyerco though I have handled some of them.

IMO, it will definately be a step up. One heads up for you, in both my copilot and the navigator they are pretty stiff opening when new. They are much smoother after some break in time.

Dave

Thanks for the heads up.

Is the blade on the navigator as high from the edge of the blade to above the hole as the salsa is?

I don't have a Salsa handy, ;) but I'm pretty sure the navigator blade is much shorter, and not as wide. So the distance indeed smaller.

Originally posted by tarsier
I just bought one of the older Navigator models with G10 scales and like it a lot. I posted a little info on it here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=212168

I think that you'll be pleased with your purchase.

There is a spyderco forum on BF also!
I find myself reading the same parts of BF day after day.
I better search around and see what else there is on BF.

spyderco forum, cool!

I bought one when they first came out ,can't recall how many yrs. ago that was (rascal) my daughter took it off my hands when she was 9
she still uses it she is 13 now ,and i even used it for about a yr. gadget factor at that time ! But it's time for you to move on ,and any spyderco is worth having ,I have way to many .Anyway buy that sucker ! And then figure what your going to get next ;)

I bought one when they first came out ,can't recall how many yrs. ago that was (rascal) my daughter took it off my hands when she was 9
she still uses it she is 13 now ,and i even used it for about a yr. gadget factor at that time ! But it's time for you to move on ,and any spyderco is worth having ,I have way to many .Anyway buy that sucker ! And then figure what your going to get next ;)

Back