Spyderco Neck Knife?

Yes! I took the pile of prototypes with me and got several sets of hands on them. Lots of love for the original choil-version of the ARK. The ringed versions got a sort of bewildering mix of reviews. Positive, generally, but no great consensus on which handle shape works best.

The one lady who I expected to give the most helpful review declared that she preferred the most sharply angled version -- though to my eyes it did not fit her hand all that well -- and wanted the whole package to be somewhat larger, which went contrary to our original intents.

She did manage to derail the conversation into a 10 minute diatribe about how the Scorpius is the greatest knife she's ever had -- how she never cared about knives much until she got one of those, and that one just fits her perfectly, just "springs into her hand," and how she owns four and scours eBay for them because she's afraid she'll finally lose her last one someday and will be defenseless. (Well, maybe not "defenseless." She's a Master class shooter who is generally well armed, but she does like that knife!) So, her version of the ARK would be larger and have a cute "dolphin nose" on it for her thumb to rest on when she's gripping it inverted.

Sometimes folks don't really care what you asked, they're going to tell you what they want you to know... you know? :)

RARKS- the version that most people liked best was the next to last.
429882_703242045835_69403225_33447954_726657529_a.jpg

ARKs and RARKs
429948_703242474975_69403225_33447957_790700415_a.jpg

So far, most people seem to like the choil version vs. the ring.

John

You guys are doing great. I'll be excited to own any one of the versions produced so far.

I'm having trouble understanding why the addition of the ring (which I'm a big fan of) changes the ergos so much between the most similar ARKs and RARKs. The only big difference I see is that in the ARK the width between the spine and the choil is larger than between the spine and the top of the ring in the RARK. I don't know if "lowering" the ring would change anything, but to my mind if you did, the ergos would be extremely similar. Maybe I would understand if I held them, but from afar I am at a loss.

Regardless, great work! I'm looking forward to updates.

the ring is a very important feature. the ring provides a safety to the ergos of the handle. which i feel would be key for this knifes intended use.

The presence of the ring seems to mostly generate ambivalent to negative responses, compared to the ringless version. No-one who's tried these has questioned the security of the hold of the choiled ARK.

Niles, thanks. The ring seems to provide a kind of pivot point, around which the RARK wants to spin, if the handle angle isn't just right. The angle that works for the ARK doesn't work for the RARK.

John

I prefer the version without the ring personally. If it were available, id buy it. Hope these come to life.

Some thoughts to share:

A choiled model will be more attractive to the "novice" because it "appears" more like what they're used to seeeing. The advantage of the ringed model is that it is very difficult to impossile to knock out of a hand. A skilled person can easily knock a knife from an unsuspecting hand. The choiled model would sell better, in my experience, if sales were the major value, because it's more traditional. In my opinion, the ringed model would be more fail-safe in performing the needed task.

With that said, we're still developing the next ringed Swick in 2 blade shapes (leaf and wharncliff). However, we would still be interested in taking a close look at Sams's final design. There is no rule or law that says one person's design is superior for all people over another's.

sal

I would have to agree with you on this one Sal and want to clarify my previos post. I dont have a need for a dedicated SD knife. Therefore the ringed version doesnt do it for me. I do agree for SD it is more ideal then the choiled version. I was speaking for my personal needs really and the choiled version looks like it could excel in skinning game. I would use this knife as a small backup skinner to throw in my pack

Mike Janich also brought up the point that often, soldiers wear gloves, which complicates the ringed version. I'll let Sam work on the choiled version.

sal

I'm practically required to buy the Wharnie Swick model, looking forward to seeing this side-project take off.

Hi again guys! Thanks for the continued interest!

We've played with the concept a little bit and I've made a (very) few.

Here's one with more of a clipped point:

ARKC.jpg

And a different version with a spear profile that seems very similar to some of Spyderco's folders:

ARKN.jpg

But the great news is that Spyderco has very generously offered to feature the ARK in their catalog for 2013, so whomever is interested doesn't have to wait forever and a day for me to get them out the door! :)

Wow, those knives looks awesome. I would really like to get one of those. I can't wait!

We have a small fixed blade in-the-works. VG-10 - 2.75" 3 blade shapes - (sheepfoot HG serrated), leaf (FG) plain, clip point (FG) plain. FRN scales, skeletonized tang, FRN sheath.

sal

Any Idea when this is going to come to fruition?

Back