Spyderco Para 3 grinding issue

Hey everyone,

Im just now getting into high end knives after years of carrying beaters regularly.

I just bought a spyderco para 3, and the blade has a high level of resistance on open and close while the compression lock is not pressed down. It is so tight I can hardly deploy it sometimes, while others it works fine. There is an audible dragging sound as well.

I washed it out last night and finished the cleaning with a dousing of rubbing alcohol which helped until the knife dried out completely.

Is this normal or should this thing have a lot less resistance than I am experiencing? What are my options to resolve these issues if it is not normal operation, I love the knife and would like to keep it.

Have you tried adjusting the pivot screw? Also did you disassemble the knife while cleaning or just run fluid through it assembled?

I have not for fear of potential voided warranty, as I just bought and am having issues which might require a warranty claim?

It will smooth out with use. Every pm2 or para3 I've adjusted for smoothness out of the box I end up tightening up after a few weeks.

Ya I would not advise disassembly if you feel that it may be a warranty issue. Other than pivot adjustment i don't have any advice, except send it back. I have purchased many spyderco knives and never experienced anything like what is happening to yours. Somebody else may chime in shortly with other suggestions.

Hey everyone,

Im just now getting into high end knives after years of carrying beaters regularly.

I just bought a spyderco para 3, and the blade has a high level of resistance on open and close while the compression lock is not pressed down. It is so tight I can hardly deploy it sometimes, while others it works fine. There is an audible dragging sound as well.

I washed it out last night and finished the cleaning with a dousing of rubbing alcohol which helped until the knife dried out completely.

Is this normal or should this thing have a lot less resistance than I am experiencing? What are my options to resolve these issues if it is not normal operation, I love the knife and would like to keep it.
Try washing / flushing with warm soapy water again, blow it out with compressed air and put a small amount of lube on the detent ball and pivot.

Back