spyderco paramilitary 2 outdoor lock test

cut some branches, did spine test
[youtube]YZWRZwxuntQ[/youtube]
it's a really good knife - perfect EDU (every day use) for me, but lock failed:eek:

Boy it sure did! :confused: Good thing your fingers were clear.

STR

Good thing your fingers were clear
yep. boy was experienced knife-nut.:)
when you did those spine whacks did you make sure that the lock was fully engaged?
I just opened the knife and started to work. And as you can see it failed not from first strike.

when you did those spine whacks did you make sure that the lock was fully engaged?

After all those hard slices the lock had to be fully engaged by the time he tapped the spine. Thats a faulty lock IMO.
STR

After all those hard slices the lock had to be fully engaged by the time he tapped the spine. Thats a faulty lock IMO.
STR

I agree, it shouldn't have failed.

Faulty lock or not, I was actually more concerned about the tip. Don't know why I think it's so delicate

The compression locks are one of the strongest on the market.
200+ in lbs per inch of blade.There is a problem with that knife but,
not the design.

Personally, when I can, I only use fixed blade knives for heavy work. I don't think that knives are designed to cut with the back of the blade, and wonder if this sort of "test" is really a good test?
I want a locking mechanism to keep a blade in place when cutting with the sharp edge - this is a reversal of normal use in the video.
I have never had a lockback fail, but the heaviest use they have gotten involved beheading bass or cleaning other fish. I would only use a pocket knife as a backup for this when a fishing knife has been dulled from heavy use. Any work with wood has been limited to fixed blade knives, large and small.

Personally, when I can, I only use fixed blade knives for heavy work. I don't think that knives are designed to cut with the back of the blade, and wonder if this sort of "test" is really a good test?
I want a locking mechanism to keep a blade in place when cutting with the sharp edge - this is a reversal of normal use in the video.
I have never had a lockback fail, but the heaviest use they have gotten involved beheading bass or cleaning other fish. I would only use a pocket knife as a backup for this when a fishing knife has been dulled from heavy use. Any work with wood has been limited to fixed blade knives, large and small.

The spine tap is valid to test the lock to make sure it's in spec.

The lock on that knife was out of spec or it wouldn't have failed so it needs to go back to Spyderco.

I would send it back and see what they have to say, that lock should not be failing.

Well said arty :thumbup:

Not really. The only thing he said is that locks on knives shouldn't matter. If we all had that attitude, we'd all be using slipjoints.

If a lock is designed to be a very strong lock, it ought to be able to handle the shock of some spine taps (read: TAPS; those weren't even hard.)

I am curious, though, as to why the knife was put away and the camera was shut off right after the failure happened. The user obviously expected this to happen.

I'm surprised that no one else noticed this: Watch the end of the video again. Before hitting the spine of the knife on the limb, he hits the knife on the opposite side, right where the liner lock is disengaged.

Why? So the liner be loosened up just a little, enough to cause the lock to fail after taking a several whacks on the spine.

This video proves nothing, other than the fact that yes, it is possible to disengage a liner lock without using your hands.

To call it a fail is an overstatement. This could be repeated with just about any liner lock.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that no one else noticed this: Watch the end of the video again. Before hitting the spine of the knife on the limb, he hits the knife on the opposite side, right where the liner lock is disengaged

It doesn't have a liner lock. The compression lock is on the spine side of the knife, not at the front.

Back