spyderco paramilitary 2 outdoor lock test

...which a bulletproof window can do, I think. A lock designed for sheer strength should, in fact, BE that bulletproof window.

Bulletproof windows take damage and need replacing after being shot at.. ;)

It just proves that the spine of a knife is NOT a hammer.

Edit:
Tried the same with my Gayle Bradley, that one also closed on me.

Spine whacking is not a good way of testing lock strength at all IMO.

It's a little bit like testing the strength of a window by throwing a brick at it.

Testing a lock involves putting stress on it in whatever way. Whether the stress does replicate a real world scenario or not, if a knife passes then we know that it has enough margin to handled "real world" scenarios.

If a knife is designed to be able to handle just the forseeable scenarios, then your sunk when something unthought of happens.

I consider the ability of a knife to handle more than "real world" scenarios an additional margin of safety.

And talking of windows, there are places with reinforced windows.

Video just looks fishy to me. Although, I'm not closed minded. I have a Spyderco Endura 4 SS and the lock has *totally* failed on me. It won't even engage the blade anymore; it's basically a slipjoint now. I have no idea what caused it either...

Spine whacking is not a good way of testing lock strength at all IMO.

It's a little bit like testing the strength of a window by throwing a brick at it.

It's not a strength test. ;)

What it is though is a reliability test to make sure the lock is in spec and will stay locked.

Certain knives I can Spine whack all freaking day long and they will hold and I can beat them hard as I want....

So much for the brick in the window theory.... :rolleyes:

Some knives you can do that with and they will just look at you and say " Is that all you got? "

Anything more than 5 Taps is abuse though.

I took a certain frame lock and beat the crap out of it with 35 to 40 extremely hard overhead swings onto a hard table and the knife just looked at me and laughed. :eek:

I think it said something like "Who's your daddy".... :eek:

Last edited:
i think MULTIPLE spine wacks are extemely useless (one is useless to me), i would love to see him close the knife open it and spine wack once and repeat....
everyone understands that certain types of locks engage on an angled face....as you repeated the wacks the locked creeped(sp?) further towards disengagement.....in any real world scenario where the back of knife hits something solid at apprx 30mph(guestimate of angular velocity) i would inspect the lock, then quit doing whatever ignorant task involves the knife being hit so violently

We have no problem defeating or breaking ANY folding knife. Even those that Mr. Ankerson "tested"......using the same tests.

sal

We have no problem defeating or breaking ANY folding knife. Even those that Mr. Ankerson "tested"......using the same tests.

sal

have you ever thought about leaking those? i remeber when this was happening, and even the venerable sebbie was subjected to the real failure test......i know some people would call it biased but i think it would be interesting to add some facts and data to all that goes on here:D

i guess it would lead to sour feeling from the other companies due to their inadequacies though

sal

I am sure you can break anything including fixed blades. :D :thumbup:

Hi Tricker,

Sorry, just not our style to judge or make comments about competitors. I'll make positive comments here and there when I think it's appropriate.

When someone says that they can bang on a knife all day long and it won't break, I must question their conclusion.

Thanx Zuzja.

sal

Sal,

I wonder how much pressure it would take to break a certain few High End Frame Locks. :D

I really don't expect an answer to that though. :)

You did post something in general terms awhile back about frame locks though if I remember correctly, pressure to lock failure.

That knife I mentioned I really did try and get it to fail, the only one I ever tried that with and it wore me out trying and it just laughed at me, I think you know the knife I am talking about, I mentioned it before in a PM or email.

You could break it in your machine though with no problems I am sure. :)

I still believe anymore than 5 TAPS is useless and gross Abuse.

Last edited:
i think MULTIPLE spine wacks are extemely useless (one is useless to me), i would love to see him close the knife open it and spine wack once and repeat....
everyone understands that certain types of locks engage on an angled face....as you repeated the wacks the locked creeped(sp?) further towards disengagement.....in any real world scenario where the back of knife hits something solid at apprx 30mph(guestimate of angular velocity) i would inspect the lock, then quit doing whatever ignorant task involves the knife being hit so violently

I have seen locks fail just from dropping the knives over the years.

Hi Mr. Ankerson,

We broke your knife with a spine tap and another one with our machine. No problem. Maybe it laughed at you? Not us.

sal

Hi Mr. Ankerson,

We broke your knife with a spine tap and another one with our machine. No problem. Maybe it laughed at you? Not us.

sal

Sal,

It laughed at me, you likely scared it to death with that machine of yours, the other one was shivering so bad it failed by just tapping it I guess. :D :thumbup:

I still say the Para 2 is too well designed to have failed in the video in this thread without something being out of spec for some reason. :thumbup:

The reason why I have one on order for myself, still on BO though. :(

Jim

Last edited:
Sal,

It laughed at me, you likely scared it to death with that machine of yours, the other one was shivering so bad it failed by just tapping it I guess. :D :thumbup:

I still say the Para 2 is too well designed to have failed in the video in this thread without something being out of spec for some reason. :thumbup:

The reaon why I have one on order for myself, still on BO though. :(

Jim
Oh I wouldn't say that. I closed up my ZT 0301 with one small whack on the table. My Gayle Bradley also closed up with just one whack. I really wonder which manufacturer would accept the spine whack as an acceptable testing method of the lock's strength.

Oh I wouldn't say that. I closed up my ZT 0301 with one small whack on the table. My Gayle Bradley also closed up with just one whack. I really wonder which manufacturer would accept the spine whack as an acceptable testing method of the lock's strength.

We weren't talking about a ZT 0301. :D

We won't mention the knife brand here though in Sal's forum.

Shiny Footprints and all. :)

I'm sure that any folding knife can be broken if you put your mind to it. Especially with a machine. ;)

Now spine whacks are a way of applying stress to the folder that can tell you something about the reliability of the lock. If some knives fail spine whacks and others don't maybe the question should then be why?

What makes some pass and some fail?

Back