spyderco paramilitary 2 outdoor lock test

Don't use a screw driver to pound in a nail.

If I can, and I need to do it and it's all I have, why not?

If our ancient ancestors didn't improvise, where would we be now?

You guys talk like you have the corner on knowledge on all tool use.

If I can, and I need to do it and it's all I have, why not?

If our ancient ancestors didn't improvise, where would we be now?

You guys talk like you have the corner on knowledge on all tool use.

Those very same ancestors of ours developed the very same tools that we are are talking about. Ancient man created rock hammers, choppers, spears, flint knives, bone needles, etc. Even in ancient times tools were developed to do specific tasks.

Improvising is fine in a pinch, but it is not a long term solution for dealing effectively on a reaccuring task or problem.

Those very same ancestors of ours developed the very same tools that we are are talking about. Ancient man created rock hammers, choppers, spears, flint knives, bone needles, etc. Even in ancient times tools were developed to do specific tasks.

Improvising is fine in a pinch, but it is not a long term solution for dealing effectively on a reaccuring task or problem.

True, but then there really is no "only correct way" of using a knife, is there?

So I'm just supposed to lug around a hatchet when I inspect my farm? My Endura does quite well in a pinch. I do strap on a fixed blade and a pruning saw when I'm set to do some serious work but sometimes I do just drop by and look around. These are the times when I use my folder to take care of the odd branch that I need to take off.

I guess that makes me as smart as a gorilla since I expose myself to maybe the equivalent of an overstrike or spine whack. ;)

And now we've hijacked another thread because you guys just can't let it alone that somebody uses a folding knife different form how you use yours.

Last edited:
Seems like the "hard use fanboys" have hijacked another thread? or are they "Hard use mafia"? (Fanboys defend a company and mafia instigate? or somethng like that?)

They seem to pop up like "whack-a-moles" whenever this type of thread is posted. Then they ping-pong the thread with "interesting" argument to many, many pages.

We managed to get them to admit (in another thread) that a thinner blade slices better than a thicker blade.

Some of them reluctantly admitted that a thinner pointier blade penetrates better. But only some, since this was the issue that began the mafia group in the first place.

sal

If I don't have a hammer and I really need a nail pounded in, sorry,mister screwdriver :D

The idea is that the knife should not be expected to handle this kind of stuff; it's out of normal use, but it's OK to use a knife like that when you need it.

The focus should be on completing the task, not on keeping the knife in one piece; if your tools are more important than the task they perform then maybe your priorities are wrong. (Of course keeping the knife in one piece is very important too, which is why we'd like to see stronger and more reliable locks on everything.)

I don't think using an Endura the way singularity35 has described it is particularly bad. I'd do the same if I had to.

Seems like the "hard use fanboys" have hijacked another thread? or are they "Hard use mafia"? (Fanboys defend a company and mafia instigate? or somethng like that?)

They seem to pop up like "whack-a-moles" whenever this type of thread is posted. Then they ping-pong the thread with "interesting" argument to many, many pages.

We managed to get them to admit (in another thread) that a thinner blade slices better than a thicker blade.

Some of them reluctantly admitted that a thinner pointier blade penetrates better. But only some, since this was the issue that began the mafia group in the first place.

sal

Hi Sal,

It wasn't me this time. :D :thumbup:

I don't think the knife should have failed personally, it's way too well designed to fail that easy IMO. :thumbup:

He really needs to send the knife in.

I have my doubts on this.

Jim

sal

Actually Sal I just responded to Deacon's post pasted below. If I just wanted to hijack, I could have started at the first page.

I never said that a thick blade slices as well as a thin blade. All I said was that thicker blades are good enough for the mundane EDC tasks like opening letters, opening and slicing food packages that most people seem to use their knives for.

But you knew that. You're just trying to claim a victory. But that's Ok, I understand. After all your means of livelihood is at stake.

I can think of a number of real world scenarios where you may inadvertently hit the spine of a knife fairly hard against something when trying to remove the blade from material in which it is stuck. I cannot think of a single reason any creature with intelligence higher than that of a gorilla would hold a folding knife at the extreme rear of the handle when attempting to chop wood. So, to me, over-strike tests are totally meaningless and, if they induce a condition which later causes the knife to fail when spine whacked, then the whole test series was BS.

So I responded with this.

Where would you hold it Paul? Oh, you wouldn't use a folder to chop. :p

Oh, and I use my SG E4 to chop half inch diseased mango branches often. I guess that makes me as smart as a gorilla. I would never have thought I was as smart as that. :D

It was the " I never use the wrong tool" boys who started the hijack. Maybe you can call them out. ;)

PS: Oh and as I posted earlier, I too have my doubts about the OP's test.

I am a hard use fanboy or mafiosi or gorilla, I don't mind being called one but this my response was to the "real world" validity to my use, of overstrikes and spine whacks.

Do you mean to say that only your fanboys can declare to all and sundry: No real world bearing!

Last edited:
It was the " I never use the wrong tool" boys who started the hijack. Maybe you can call them out. ;)

So now, chopping half inch diseased branches is hard use? (or multi-use, or whatever the new term is)
Man, just about ALL my knives are hard use if that's the criteria.:D

So now, chopping half inch diseased branches is hard use? (or multi-use, or whatever the new term is)
Man, just about ALL my knives are hard use if that's the criteria.:D

LOL! It seems that some guys want all others to just use their knives for cheese cutting. ;)

LOL! It seems that some guys want all others to just use their knives for cheese cutting. ;)

Well, I don't like cheese much, but my knives do carve a mean roast, and cut my subs quite nicely.:)
Spyderco Police (original plain edge) is one of the best roast cutting knives I've used for its length.:thumbup:
It also cuts half inch branches quite well, although I use a regular grip on it as opposed to holding near the rear of the knife. More of a power slash than a hacking chop.

Well, I don't like cheese much, but my knives do carve a mean roast, and cut my subs quite nicely.:)
Spyderco Police (original plain edge) is one of the best roast cutting knives I've used for its length.:thumbup:
It also cuts half inch branches quite well, although I use a regular grip on it as opposed to holding near the rear of the knife. More of a power slash than a hacking chop.

I have to try that. Thanks for the tip. :)

Sometimes it's just that the position is awkward since the branches are still attached to the tree. All I can do is stand tippy-toed and hack just to reach the base of the branches.

Hard use fanboys never learned how to use knives imo, the spine wack/over strike I renamed "the pollock chop" feel free to use that, the smug smiles and hidden agenda from the "boyz" is easy to read thru tho.

Hard use fanboys never learned how to use knives imo, the spine wack/over strike I renamed "the pollock chop" feel free to use that, the smug smiles and hidden agenda from the "boyz" is easy to read thru tho.

Pray tell....

mangoseedlings.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I had to lug 3 or 4 of these seedlings on my back for a few hundred trips to plant my mangoes before there ever was a proper road to my farm. We had to make do with the barest minimum of tools for years. We built fires, we built nipa huts, we planted our trees, we cleared brush, we dug holes. And yes, all those years, and I still haven't learned to use a knife. You guys are funny. I wonder how much you ever had to rely on a knife where you are. Maybe you would starve to death if your car keys couldn't open your food package.

Last edited:
Come on everyone, let's all unite in our love of knives against the common enemy...
Those bastards with their sporks! Is it a fork? Is it a spoon? Make up your mind already!:mad::D

Come on everyone, let's all unite in our love of knives against the common enemy...
Those bastards with their sporks! Is it a fork? Is it a spoon? Make up your mind already!:mad::D

I'm not all that set against a spork. As long as it's hard use, of course. :D

Back