spyderco paramilitary 2 outdoor lock test

You know what, theres already a all titanium version with built in spoon on reverse side, if you can get the assisted openin and quad lock put on it id say youd have somethin.

You know what, theres already a all titanium version with built in spoon on reverse side, if you can get the assisted openin and quad lock put on it id say youd have somethin.

Dear God, who produces such a thing?

Triple aught design, tad gear, was lookin for a link but, its a camping tool no joke it would prob be useful.

Hi Sal,

It wasn't me this time. :D :thumbup:

I don't think the knife should have failed personally, it's way too well designed to fail that easy IMO. :thumbup:

He really needs to send the knife in.

I have my doubts on this.

Jim

I agree with you Ankerson! My Para 2 locks up pretty solid and I know it wouldn't have failed under those circumstances. Think the issue is with that particular knife.

I hate to sound trollish but heaven forbid I gotta whack something with a knife...not chop...whack...well I just wouldn't do it with a folder...anybody's folder. Mind you, I would avoid whacking even with a KaBar...that's what God made big sticks and rocks for and what man made axes and hammers for. I mean sure, I gotta cut my way out of a fusilage or something...but then who cares if my lock fails...my plane just crashed...but since I am a civilian...see where I'm headed?

I just got a brand new Military. I am really proud of it. But I am not gonna be whacking or even chopping anything with it because I wanna take care of it like I take care of my other stuff. Wouldn't drive a Corvette through the desert...that's what pickup trucks and jeeps are for. I just ordered an ESEE-5 so I guess if I gotta whack something ...with a knife, ...I'll use that.

But what do I know...this is after all the Internet.

I hate to sound trollish but heaven forbid I gotta whack something with a knife...not chop...whack...well I just wouldn't do it with a folder...anybody's folder. Mind you, I would avoid whacking even with a KaBar...that's what God made big sticks and rocks for and what man made axes and hammers for. I mean sure, I gotta cut my way out of a fusilage or something...but then who cares if my lock fails...my plane just crashed...but since I am a civilian...see where I'm headed?

I just got a brand new Military. I am really proud of it. But I am not gonna be whacking or even chopping anything with it because I wanna take care of it like I take care of my other stuff. Wouldn't drive a Corvette through the desert...that's what pickup trucks and jeeps are for. I just ordered an ESEE-5 so I guess if I gotta whack something ...with a knife, ...I'll use that.

But what do I know...this is after all the Internet.

It's not about whacking something you need to whack. It's inadvertently whacking the spine while doing something else. Like when my knife gets embedded in the half inch branch I'm chopping and I have to pull it out and I happen to hit the spine on something above. There's a big difference you know...

Exactly. You can use a knife perfectly, but if an accident happens then you're not going to be saying "It's my fault for exposing my knife to that branch that just happened to be above my head", you'll be saying "the darn lock is supposed to protect me from this!"

That is, of course, if you're not too busy screaming.

Well sure, and that does make sense. But as I stated, I not going to embed the folding knife in a big branch in the first place. In my mind it's a pocket knife. Sure, I want it to lock up strong but keeping with the right tool for the job concept...about which I think we have, as ladies and gentlemen, all agreed to disagree on the scope of just what is the right job for a knife...I don't expect to do chopping with a folder. I got a branch between me and whatever...machete/ax time...or maybe big fixed camp knife time.

But I do agree that you have a very good point, the accidental whack...that is definitely something I want my folder to withstand and that is a point well taken by me. I guess in the context of the video at the top of this thread...that guy was not accidentally whacking his knife on that branch.

So anyway, no purposeful spine whacking for me, regardless. I suspect in avoiding that, the liklihood of my folder's lock failing, since all my folders are good ones (Spyderco, Buck, Gerber lockbacks), is mighty slim.

Well sure, and that does make sense. But as I stated, I not going to embed the folding knife in a big branch in the first place. In my mind it's a pocket knife. Sure, I want it to lock up strong but keeping with the right tool for the job concept...about which I think we have, as ladies and gentlemen, all agreed to disagree on the scope of just what is the right job for a knife...I don't expect to do chopping with a folder. I got a branch between me and whatever...machete/ax time...or maybe big fixed camp knife time.

Ok let me explain. I often just go around my mango trees just looking around not intending to do any serious work. I'm in my usual casual attire cargo pants and t-shirt. I often get near the boundaries and that's about 500 meters downhill and it's not just a slight grade. I find a branchlet among many that has fungus. Now I know I can leave this until it's really pruning and spraying time but just like you see a piece of trash on the floor of your workplace, you pick it up and throw it in the trash, I figure that the more times I do this casually the less I need to do major work.

Should I then go more than 500 meters uphill to get what you would call the proper tool? I consider my folder the proper tool for this since it will save me the trouble of a 1km walk and I might not even spot the particular branch when I come back. I choose to cut it with the folder I have on me. And since sometimes the branch is over my head, I have to stretch out and hack at it. Sometimes on the backswing some branchlets and leaves get in the way. This here is where I find the "real world" relevance of a folder that can take a spine whack.

So now as previously posted, is hacking a half inch diseased branch of green wood now considered abuse?

Ok let me explain. I often just go around my mango trees just looking around not intending to do any serious work. I'm in my usual casual attire cargo pants and t-shirt. I often get near the boundaries and that's about 500 meters downhill and it's not just a slight grade. I find a branchlet among many that has fungus. Now I know I can leave this until it's really pruning and spraying time but just like you see a piece of trash on the floor of your workplace, you pick it up and throw it in the trash, I figure that the more times I do this casually the less I need to do major work.

Should I then go more than 500 meters uphill to get what you would call the proper tool? I consider my folder the proper tool for this since it will save me the trouble of a 1km walk and I might not even spot the particular branch when I come back. I choose to cut it with the folder I have on me. And since sometimes the branch is over my head, I have to stretch out and hack at it. Sometimes on the backswing some branchlets and leaves get in the way. This here is where I find the "real world" relevance of a folder that can take a spine whack.

So now as previously posted, is hacking a half inch diseased branch of green wood now considered abuse?
You really have to be kidding. Hitting "branchlets and leaves" with the spine of a knife is nothing like smacking said knife spine first into a tabletop or other immovable object.

Personally, if I knew I was going into a grove of trees that might need pruning, I'd take something like one of these, but that's just me. I like to be prepared for things I may realistically encounter.

Not that there's anything wrong with trimming reasonable size branches with a folder, as long as you don't hold it the way the OP was holding that Para when he tried cutting with the handle. But I do think the proper tool would give a cleaner cut.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

You really have to be kidding. Hitting "branchlets and leaves" with the spine of a knife is nothing like smacking said knife spine first into a tabletop or other immovable object.

Yes, you're right but I figure that the more margin I have the better. There are also more sizeable branches that I do avoid but that I might accidentally hit. I'm posting this just to show that a folder that can take a good spine whack is relevant to my "real world" applications. And that's not taking SD into consideration yet.

Personally, if I knew I was going into a grove of trees that might need pruning, I'd take something like one of these, but that's just me. I like to be prepared for things I may realistically encounter.

I do strap on a machete and tote a pruning saw with a long handle when I'm set for serious work. It's just during my walkaround time that I don't. We do have some experience in agriculture here.

Not that there's anything wrong with trimming reasonable size branches with a folder, as long as you don't hold it the way the OP was holding that Para when he tried cutting with the handle. But I do think the proper tool would give a cleaner cut.

It's not worth using a folding pruning saw for small branchlets because I just wind up ripping them with my hands because they don't cut the last portion too well. And besides folding saws are too big to carry with me during the course of the day. Before I ever discovered modern folders, I used locally made balisongs for these kinds of tasks. Used up a few too.

I guess what I'm really trying to say here is that our situations and applications differ to a large degree. What has worked well for you may not be ideal for me and what works for me may be extremely unsuitable for you.

But I do agree that you have a very good point, the accidental whack...that is definitely something I want my folder to withstand and that is a point well taken by me. I guess in the context of the video at the top of this thread...that guy was not accidentally whacking his knife on that branch.

So anyway, no purposeful spine whacking for me, regardless. I suspect in avoiding that, the liklihood of my folder's lock failing, since all my folders are good ones (Spyderco, Buck, Gerber lockbacks), is mighty slim.

You know there are types that just trust in everything they buy and then there are types that want to know and experience things themselves. No one plans to run into a car in a rear ender accident but it happens from time to time to the best of us. I am one of the latter types that tests things out for myself. Call me cynical but I've been let down too many times in half a century and I don't always believe what I'm told or what I read in many of the hype adds these days. When I got my first vehicle with 'anti lock' brakes yes, I slammed on the brakes on a snow covered parking lot while driving when I was alone and I did this just to see if they worked. :D

To me a test of the lock is no different than this and to be perfectly honest anyone that wants to condemn me for tapping one of my folder blades on the spine or overstriking it because I believe both can happen even if rarely in use, well you are welcome to do that. If it bothers you because I slammed on the brakes in my car to see if the manufacturer really has something worth while thats fine too. For some around here faith based belief is not quite enough. We want to know the things we buy work as they are supposed to. So we test them.

In that video those were baby taps! Anyone can tell that watching it and the knife should not be affected by that at all. Mine certainly wasn't. In all likelihood an accidental tap or whack would be much worse than any of the things the user did to that knife in the video. He should be glad he tested just like someone else that tests their brakes on their car now and then or the horn or anything else that is defined as safety equipment.

STR

Yes, you're right but I figure that the more margin I have the better. There are also more sizeable branches that I do avoid but that I might accidentally hit. I'm posting this just to show that a folder that can take a good spine whack is relevant to my "real world" applications. And that's not taking SD into consideration yet.

I do strap on a machete and tote a pruning saw with a long handle when I'm set for serious work. It's just during my walkaround time that I don't. We do have some experience in agriculture here.

It's not worth using a folding pruning saw for small branchlets because I just wind up ripping them with my hands because they don't cut the last portion too well. And besides folding saws are too big to carry with me during the course of the day. Before I ever discovered modern folders, I used locally made balisongs for these kinds of tasks. Used up a few too.

I guess what I'm really trying to say here is that our situations and applications differ to a large degree. What has worked well for you may not be ideal for me and what works for me may be extremely unsuitable for you.
Fair enough. Just want it to be clear that I never questioned the idea of using a folder to perform reasonable pruning tasks, merely the wisdom of using a grip that provides very little in the way of control and creates a situation where an "over strike", something that should never happen and can never happen if the knife is gripped in a reasonable manner, can easily occur even when not done intentionally as was the case in the OP's video.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

I certainly do not consider taking off a diseased branch "abuse". Me, I am walking back up hill to get a pruner but that's just me. This is the agree to disagree part and where I bow out.

Be careful out there...it's a jungle on the Internet.

Call me a naysayer but I don't know what knife activity, in 99.99999% of the uses I can see using a knife for (even the worst cases), would replicate the pressure, velocity, and acute strike of a spine whack.

I give them zero cred.

I took a military, on a pass around, and it never failed. In fact, as a retired cop, I've never had a Spyderco fail. I own many Spyderco knives.

I would have full confidence taking a para into the mountains and subjecting it to my boy scouts. I have full faith in the compression lock and Spyderco. If I had a para, I'd post the video when I teach wilderness survival merit badge.

it's strange, maybe it in the spam-folder?
in any case i send it again and send a copy via PM

Back