Spyderco PM2 in s110v

what are peoples thoughts on this knife. It appears that it might be a constant in the spyderco PM2 lineup. Is it worth about $30-$40 more than the standard s30v PM2? I like blue and am thinking that it may be a good purchase. Just not sure if I want to wait to see if the price will change depending on demand. Also, how is s110v with rust resistance. I know it's reputation for keeping an edge.

No one but Sal has one in their hands yet, so it's hard to really say much about it specifically. :p

S110V is much more wear resistant and slightly harder than S30V as Spyderco heat-treats it, harder to sharpen (although reports on that vary, I suspect has much to do with equipment and skill), and less likely to chip at the edge. We're talking micro-chipping here, which is actually a point in S30V's favor in my opinion, as the tiny chips in the edge make it behave like an extremely fine-tooth saw.

What do you use your knife for?

Last edited:
S110v should be insanely rust resistant, Ive only seen a single piece of rusted s110v and it was from exposure to toxic chemicals. I've carried mine IWB a few days, and its fine, that's not exactly saying much, but I wouldn't be surprised if my sweat rusted H1

S110v should be insanely rust resistant, Ive only seen a single piece of rusted s110v and it was from exposure to toxic chemicals.
That might push me over the edge to order one, my S30V PM2 already has some rust freckles and a spot in the jimping, and it's never been to the ocean.

Also since it's a production item and not a sprint, it's unlikely the price will change significantly unless it's discontinued and clearanced. Sal has hinted that all their Golden-produced knives are going to be available in S110V as regular-production items going forward.

Yeah, I am just really liking the idea of a blue PM2. I may just pre-order one so I don't get stuck waiting like what happens with the standard PM2.

I've really been wanting to pick up a 2nd PM2. I have a Manix 2 in all black, and I really don't like the typical satin blade and black G10 combo because it's everywhere. This seems like a great option for mixing up the aesthetic and I'm also super curious about S110V. I like S30V a lot. Might have to pre-order.

I'm also super curious and interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

I've really been wanting to pick up a 2nd PM2. I have a Manix 2 in all black, and I really don't like the typical satin blade and black G10 combo because it's everywhere. This seems like a great option for mixing up the aesthetic and I'm also super curious about S110V. I like S30V a lot. Might have to pre-order.

I'm also super curious and interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

I was gonna pre-order but knifeworks has shut down pre-order.

I got one in and contacted them about where i was on the list and instead of a number i was just told there was ALOT of pre orders lol.

Yeah, they updated their pre-order to say that spyderco oversold the para 2 in blue so knifeworks isn't getting as many as they had initially ordered.

Does Knifeworks do discount codes anymore?

It's been a couple of years since I bought from them, and they have something I want but can't entirely afford... This afternoon :abnormal:

In use I have to say I greatly prefer s110v to s30v. The only downside is it's a bit less easy to get a hair popping edge on it, but it holds an edge like nothing else I've used, doesn't rust easily, and seems far more resistant to micro chipping than any s30v blade I've owned.

In use I have to say I greatly prefer s110v to s30v. The only downside is it's a bit less easy to get a hair popping edge on it, but it holds an edge like nothing else I've used, doesn't rust easily, and seems far more resistant to micro chipping than any s30v blade I've owned.
It doesn't like taking a super sharp edge. One of these days I should see if I can get it to where I can fairly comfortably shave my face with it like I can s30v

I love that color and with the steel choice I am not going to be able to resist.

It doesn't like taking a super sharp edge. One of these days I should see if I can get it to where I can fairly comfortably shave my face with it like I can s30v

I haven't used any s110v but this is why I don't love s90v. I can get it to that level but it is way more fussy about taking an extreme edge (regardless of grit). This is why I like steels like m4. I get similar edge retention in a steel that is WAY easier to take to high levels of sharpness. Throw in added toughness and you've got yourself a winner. (as long as you can deal with the lack of corrosion resistance).

I haven't used any s110v but this is why I don't love s90v. I can get it to that level but it is way more fussy about taking an extreme edge (regardless of grit). This is why I like steels like m4. I get similar edge retention in a steel that is WAY easier to take to high levels of sharpness. Throw in added toughness and you've got yourself a winner. (as long as you can deal with the lack of corrosion resistance).

Yes, I feel about the same... I am much more excited about the M4 Para 2, and the 52100 Millie sprints... :)

The issues with giving it a very sharp edge is in my opinion the weakness of s110v. It'll still get extremely sharp. It's about as stain proof as anything. It basically never dulls. But I think most us nuts aren't afraid to resharpen a knife

Back