Spyderco PM2 in s110v

DSC00047jp_1081265_19126864.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The color 'variance' has cooled my ardor.

The 'blue' I see in some pics, I like. :thumbup:

The 'grape' I see in other pics, I like not. :thumbdn:

I'll still get one but may not keep it.

There is certainly less actual variance than pictorial variance. There are so many variables that go into picture color, I could easily give a week-long class on just that topic. I guess what I am saying is that the only way you are going to know for sure is handle one, which it sounds like you are going to do. :thumbup:

The colour variance all looks like it's down to folks playing with Instagram filters. That and who knows what your monitor settings are.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

But this is not a Sprint run.

Or is it.

Different lighting, angles, and camera settings can cause plenty of variation for people just trying to take a nice accurate picture...though I'm sure there are some that manipulate the photos.

I'm interested to see how they really look; but I already know that I don't like stock PM2 G10 - hence the replacement scales

FWIW, I took the pictures of mine in natural outdoor lighting with a relatively neutral background on purpose (check here on the Spyderco pic thread for all of them). I did this to try and get the best, most accurate picture of the color as I possibly could. The ones looking straight down at the handle are the best. When I hold my knife up to the screen of my ipad, the color matches between the actual knife and the photo pretty darn near perfectly. This is pretty representative of the color:

0B4A413E-6249-4F75-B04B-2E2069E7D15F.jpg

I agree, many of the pictures I've seen make this G10 look quite purple (like the ones svar posted above). It's not that purple IRL.

Last edited:
This thread cracks me up.

LOOK AT THE SCALES.

Is this a sprint run?

FWIW, I took the pictures of mine in natural outdoor lighting with a relatively neutral background on purpose (check here on the Spyderco pic thread for all of them). I did this to try and get the best, most accurate picture of the color as I possibly could. The ones looking straight down at the handle are the best. When I hold my knife up to the screen of my ipad, the color matches between the actual knife and the photo pretty darn near perfectly. This is pretty representative of the color:

I agree, many of the pictures I've seen make this G10 look quite purple (like the ones svar posted above). It's not that purple IRL.
I figured many camera interpretations were responsible for the more purple hue. Can't wait for mine to arrive...I'm tired of sharpening the only folder I have currently every other day.

I think I just crossed a dangerous line lol, up until this point I've only bought and collected fixed blades with an occasional junk folder about every 6 months since that's about along as a $12 gas station knife lasts lol.....now I foresee myself adding quality folders along with the fixed blades.

I disagree. Your photos appear to have been taken in very direct sunlight. The scales do brighten up when outside but here is a night picture with dimmed lighting for comparison.

1afe54e360fda870b3d74a4019d6b573.jpg

The scales are dull naturally. Still an awesome knife.

I disagree. Your photos appear to have been taken in very direct sunlight. The scales do brighten up when outside but here is a night picture with dimmed lighting for comparison.

1afe54e360fda870b3d74a4019d6b573.jpg

The scales are dull naturally. Still an awesome knife.

Uh, no... :rolleyes: Mine were taken in the shade on a sunny day. Indirect sunlight. The best type of light for the closest true color rendition. Ask any photographer. ;) My pictures show the true color of the translucent G10 under natural light. And do you see any hard shadows from the sun??? :p Also, if it would have been in direct sunlight, you'd be able to see more drastic shading variations due to the liners. If you want, I can take another picture under direct sun for you tomorrow if you don't believe me. :thumbup:

Your picture is taken under poorly lit, artificial light. Of course it will look darker in those conditions. ;)

PS - Did you look at my other pictures I linked? If you do, it becomes pretty obvious these were not taken in direct sunlihgt.

ETA: Here are a few (not mine) in DIRECT sunlight.

E3EC54D5-6B62-41D9-BEEA-9536BC658300_zpsvdqgjow9.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what it looks like on a scanner. Sometimes it looks navy blue and mostly it has that purple twang depending on the lighting. All the shades look good to me. It's not a deal breaker.

tTMEJIx.jpg

I commonly use 3 different computers with different monitors. Most of the photos I see posted don't match the appearance of my knife in person. For instance post #236 looks fairly close, post #230 doesn't look like mine at all.

As for what light to take a photo in- if you use the shade as was mentioned before the light will be much too blue. I usually let my DSLR do auto white balance but it doesn't compensate very well for open shade. If I set its white balance specifically for shade I get better color rendition. Here is an experiment that I did:

Here is auto white balance, letting the camera do its thing:
DSC_2469b_zpsxswj81td.jpg

Here is setting the camera to white balance for open shade:
DSC_2470b_zpslnch6l9g.jpg

Got mine today, my first spyderco!!! color isn't bad..Can't wait to put it to work...

What size bit takes the pocket clip off to make it tip up carry?

UBEGBPH.jpg
UHAd7hR.jpg

Back