Spyderco Police Stainless - WOW!

I just received a Police 4, plain edge stainless scales. What a blade!! I was impressed how thick the blade is. The hollow grind leaves a very strong spine for 3/4 of its length to where it then jumps down into the swedge.

The handle is very slim. Looks like thin stainless scales glued on top of stainless liners. Very slim and slides easily into and out of the pocket. Totally rock solid: stainless handle, backer, snug and strong back lock, and that beautiful saber blade.

There is no doubt what this blade is designed for and it looks like it would perform superbly. Balance point is right about at the index finger. I wear XL work gloves and there is a comfortable extra inch on the handle. I like that there is no jimping on the spine. The blade spine is squared off sharp enough that my thumb has pretty good purchase on it if I choke up that far. There is plenty of handle length to instead rest my thumb on the back of the scales/lock, or right at the juncture of the blade jump and end of the scales.

Pictures fail to do the Police 4 justice. It is far more impressive and beautiful in person. The back lock is pretty stiff but can be worked one-handed with concentration. The blade of course does not fall free due to the back lock friction/pressure.

The blade was not quite honed as sharp out of the box as the PM2 and PM3 I bought recently. But a few swipes on the fine Sharpmaker stones and across a honing steel and it is near shaving sharp. With the smooth stainless scales the pocket clip slides easily onto and off a jeans pocket. Being very slim both in width and thickness it takes very little room in a pocket and the length fits fine in Wrangler jeans.

The size and style of blade (thin saber or near stiletto) probably is not suitable for EDC at the office or wedding receptions. And likely too long for most daily tasks. But if you want a knife for last resort self defense then the Police 4 would be a hell of a choice.

My state of Oregon does not allow carry of concealed fixed blades of any length. Folders can be at least 4.75” long, probably longer. The Police 4 is a decent stand in for a fixed blade fighting knife. Obviously I would prefer avoidance, de-escalation and a firearm and even a sturdy stick to a knife for defense. But being so slick and compact this knife is a reasonable backup to other tactics and weapons.

Really a superb design and execution of a concept by Spyderco.

The Police 4 doesn't come in stainless or have a hollow ground blade. You likely have the Police 2

RG4wV6U.jpg

Congrats! It's one of my favorite Spyderco line of knives.

I've got 4 of them. Three Gen 1 stainless versions w/o a lanyard hole or clip screw holes (like the one pictured at the top in 5x5's photo above) w/PE, PS and SE blades; all in VG10. Posted pics of them together somewhere else on BF in the past. Will have to look for them to repost here.

Also have a standard Gen 3 w/G10 scales. Will consider buying the "new" LW FRN version when it comes out.

Last edited:
959A83F8-DB2E-4669-84FA-646EBAFF564D.jpeg

You are right that it is not listed as “Police 4”. Spyderco lists it as “ Police Model Stainless” and model C07P. I have updated the title to correct, Thx!

So not sure if this is a generation thing or what. It is brand new at any rate and beautifully built.

Last edited:
I understand that the FRN version of the Police4 is en route with a VG-10 blade.

sal

LOL, I was thinking to wait for the lighter FRN. But my first Spyderco was a stainless Police back in the 80s so I just had to get a stainless again to remember what it is like. Not sure what the 80s version was like, just that it was slick and well built, but this new one blew me away.

I am really impressed how easilythe Police rides in the pocket taking up hardly any hand space.

Reactions: BBW
I have the older SS, and G-10 versions. The G-10 version is almost perfect. I even like it a little better than the Military. Lanyard holes on the clip side would have made them perfect IMO. The stainless version is a little slick when deploying the blade. Putting the clip in the tip-up position helps. Putting dime (3) sized circles of grip tape on the handle helped even more. I don't think I would ever consider the SS Police a safe self-defense tool. On the other hand, this is an iconic value knife, and will stay in my collection.

The back lock is pretty stiff but can be worked one-handed with concentration. The blade of course does not fall free due to the back lock friction/pressure.

Give it a bit of time to break in. My Police SS/SE drops free as soon as I disengage the lock, but it took a week or two to reach that point. If I keep my index finger near the end of the handle, the ricasso falls right onto it; nice and safe.

I couldn't agree more about the Police being a great knife. :thumbsup:

rSCqL0z.jpg

To this day, the SS Police model is still one of my favorite Spydercos. I got my first one almost 20 years ago, and own 4 of them. It’s a classic that I hope never disappears from Spyderco’s lineup.

Jim

Give it a bit of time to break in. My Police SS/SE drops free as soon as I disengage the lock, but it took a week or two to reach that point. If I keep my index finger near the end of the handle, the ricasso falls right onto it; nice and safe.

I couldn't agree more about the Police being a great knife. :thumbsup:

Thx, that is good to know! I’ll keep working it and lightly oil it now and then. Don’t mind handling it at all!

I must admit to a bit of Police envy while reading this thread and carrying a Dragonfly. I'm definitely tempted by the Police 4 Lightweight.

The POLICE was my first Spyderco, and my first modern folder. I was blown away by the design, f&f and pocket clip. It lured me into the rabbit hole.

The Police was the first Spyderco...actually the FIRST knife that had such a sharp pointed tip that I did not even notice that it punctured into my left hand index finger, I was like WHOA ! ;)
G2

The POLICE was my first Spyderco, and my first modern folder. I was blown away by the design, f&f and pocket clip. It lured me into the rabbit hole.

Yeah it was my first Spyderco, way back in the late 80s. It was stolen (ironic for a “Police” model, right?) in the early 90s and I just never got another one. Used a Buck 110 for a long time then a Benchmade Barrage. My son-in-law has an Endura that has worked well for him so I tried a few Spyderco before deciding to revisit the Police Stainless. I think there are a few more Spydercos in my future. Pretty much just looking at those and Bucks, Moras and Fallkniven these days.

The Police is just so elegantly sculpted. I have not figured out a role for this knife in my uses but for now just enjoy its shear beauty.

The Police was the first Spyderco...actually the FIRST knife that had such a sharp pointed tip that I did not even notice that it punctured into my left hand index finger, I was like WHOA ! ;)
G2

It is very pointy but surprised me that it is not a fragile point. Not that I would use it to pry with but it has a lot of steel strength behind it. The only folders I’ve had that I have to be aware of the swing path clearance when opening! “Clear left! Clear right! Clear front! Cleared to open! Open!”

Back