Spyderco Positron

Positively killing me in anticipation!! I'm checking all day, everyday. Who's with me??

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good looking knife. But it would be better looking at $130. :thumbup:

I almost really like that knife. My hesitation stems from the handle shape. It doesn't look like I could fit two fingers behind the rearmost ridge...or three fingers in front. In other words it doesn't seem like I could fit four fingers comfortably on the handle. Hope that's clear.

Depends on your hand size. Closed length is 3.97". I really prefer at least a 4" handle, but I'm splitting hairs here. I think I'd be able to get a full four-finger hammer grip on it with my medium-sized hands. And it looks to me like the placement is 2 fingers in front of the ridge and 2 behind.

Last edited:
Depends on your hand size. Closed length is 3.97". I really prefer at least a 4" handle, but I'm splitting hairs here. I suspect I'd be able to get a full four-finger hammer grip on it with my medium-sized hands.

I'm sure I could get a four-finger grip with my medium hands. The issue for me is handle shape. That rear ridge should be moved forward slightly, IMO.

Yeah. I see what you're looking at. I'd want to handle it before I bought it, I think.

Positively killing me in anticipation!! I'm checking all day, everyday. Who's with me??

I'm not dying while waiting (well, yes technically we all are in the process of dying :rolleyes:, but I digress) still, I do think I would like this one very much. Will wait to see the feedback and comments and likely pick one up on the exchange some day.

Yeah, I'm being a little over dramatic. Jokingly I've been really interested in this from the start.

I'm really looking forward it. I have a feeling I will wish it was a tad bigger, but we will see.

Looks like a Taichung Taiwan knife. Looks pretty nice but the spidie hole looks smallish.

On the Southard Knives FB page a few hours ago, Brad posted it will be very very soon...

12088173_749405195187458_5158842961699299706_n.jpg

Positron was featured prominently in the September 2015 Spyderco Byte newsletter so I was expecting it earlier this month!

"Brad Southard’s Southard Folder™ holds the distinction of being Spyderco’s first flipper-opening folding knife. In addition to paving the way for subsequent flipper designs like the Domino™, Dice™, and Rubicon™, it also whet our customers’ appetite for more of Southard’s highly refined, exceedingly practical folder designs. In response to that interest, Spyderco is proud to introduce our second Southard collaboration, the Positron™.

Like the Southard Folder, the Positron features a flipper opener. Pioneered by custom knifemaker Kit Carson, a flipper is a small integral tab that extends from the tang of the blade on the cutting edge side. When the blade is closed, the flipper protrudes from the back of the knife’s handle to offer a small lever. Pulling on this lever with your index finger creates a tension against the ball-bearing detent mechanism that holds the blade closed. When the detent is overcome, the blade pivots to snap authoritatively into the open, locked position.

Based on Southard’s popular “Ion” custom folder, the Positron distills all the best features of a full-sized flipper folder into a compact, pocket-friendly package. The heart of the design is a full-flat-ground PlainEdge™ blade machined from premium CPM® S30V® particle-metallurgy stainless steel. Although the drop-point blade proudly includes a small Trademark Round Hole™ as a symbol of the Spyderco brand, it is purpose designed to open only as a flipper—another first in Spyderco’s product line. The Positron’s minimalist flipper provides swift, reliable one-handed opening and in the open position serves as an understated but highly effective guard.

Crafted from solid carbon fiber, the Positron’s twin handle scales are meticulously machined, radiused, and polished to provide an amazingly comfortable grip and a stunning appearance. They also house the nested, skeletonized stainless steel liners that form the foundation of the knife’s sturdy LinerLock mechanism. The butt end of the handle features a reversible deep-pocket wire clip that provides left or right-side tip-up carry and offers both subtle discretion and immediate access.

Rather than conventional flat washers, the Positron’s blade pivots between special washers that contain nested ball bearings. This advanced construction greatly reduces friction on the blade, maximizes the efficiency the flipper mechanism, and ensures a long service life.

The Spyderco Positron faithfully translates Brad Southard’s distinctive style and superior craftsmanship to a highly refined flipper-style folder that is easy to carry and ideal for everyday use. It will begin shipping in early October and we’re confident that you’ll like it just as much as we do."

Back