Spyderco Positron

I think the 0450 is about 2.9 oz and the positron is 2.6 so pretty close! Grip on the 0450 looks to be a little larger..?

Yeah, very close, talking like 5 or 6grams.

Looks to me the opposite in the photo, though, appears the Positron grip is larger.

sandsdaisho_zps9pu3vuvo.jpg

Sinkevich and Southard Saturday

Ok, that was the best comparison shot for me as I've already got a 450. I've been really interested in this model, for its looks and design. But have way too many in the similar makeup range that I would be even more "dog housed" with my wife if I spend any more money in the short term (tons of car trouble expenses). So I'll probably wait until it's floating everywhere in the market.

But what I would really like is something similar, but in the size right between the zt450 and zt562 (closed/handle size). I find the 450 just a tad small for my everyday preference , so I usually step up to the 562, then add something like a Chaparral to another pocket. Right in the middle would be perfect.

Awe, who am I kidding? I'll end up with it anyway because of my latest Spyder addiction, then move on to the next new thing right after. :). I'm a junkie.

Forgot to ask, how does the flip feel compared to the 450?

Here's a pic of my Positron and my enjoying a great hot meal on a cold day. I can post a pic of all three later

dolsotcoldday_zpsjjtzauuf.jpg

So very tempting to order that now ha but I guess on going to wait! Cutleryshoppe said yesterday that they had gotten a shipment notification on Spyderco positron.. And after upgraded shipping will save about 20 bucks..

I got mine from CS for 45% off MSRP or $153.95. The BladeHQ price of $167.97 is 40% off MSRP. By the way, 40% off MSRP will be the new MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) price enforced by Spyderco come January 1, 2016.

I got mine from CS for 45% off MSRP or $153.95. The BladeHQ price of $167.97 is 40% off MSRP. By the way, 40% off MSRP will be the new MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) price enforced by Spyderco come January 1, 2016.

Oh really? I didn't know Spyderco was going to start enforcing that!.. Yeah I was wandering why knifecenter and bladehq had the 40% msrp where as CS and KW had 45% I was thinking it was just because they didn't have the knife taking up shelf space by doing preorders.. Thanks for the info.. Yeah I ordered mine from CS for 153 also.. Just waiting for them to receive some I should be pretty close to the top of the list..?

sandsdaisho_zps9pu3vuvo.jpg

Sinkevich and Southard Saturday

That pic makes me want the ZT even more. I wouldn't buy it due to the S35vn steel, and I certainly won't buy the Positron with S30v and that wire clip. Must wait for Posi with better steel, slightly longer blade, and flat clip. Sal, are you listening?

Can't beat the price at CS. KC still says pre-order.

Sure does must be their new system or something.. I looked at the beginning of November and saw it was in stock hurried and ordered.. So that evening I looked to see if it had shipped and it said that I had placed a pre-order on their website but yet my email order confirmation said that I had ordered 1 and the item was in stock.. So I call them and they said when they get items in they have to scan them now and it temporarily shows as In-stock.. Even if these knives are already sold via preorders so..

Son of a gun, it is and it still is in stock. Knifeworks is dropping the ball on this one. I preordered in early July and still now word. To be fair, BHQ is charging about $18 more.

In stock at BHQ, GPK and CS. CS is lowest including KW.

I sent mine back. Unfortunately I couldn't see the quality. Way smaller and tiny than promoted. Clip and bulky handle create a huge hotspot and uncomfortable grip. The liner lock travels way too far over making disengagement a chore as you hit the pocket clip hotspot closing the knife. Action is okay but nothing great. I hate to sound so negative! I was so excited to get one...I've waited so long for it to release. You could imagine once in hand I was really let down. Only my opinion here, that's all. I loved the Southard. The stoutness and how short the handle is really didn't offer a great grip or purchase.

I agree. I am experiencing several major hotspots, the clip and especially the bottom of the frame where its sharp edges dig into my palm. The linerlock is also pain to disengage as as you have to dig in to gain traction.

I will sell it, or just dremel material off to improve fitment.

I guess I'm in the middle. I don't dislike the knife but I don't love it either. The feel in my hand is ok (nothing special) and the liner lock is a little stiff but I expect it to loosen up with time. The flipper may loosen up with some use but the action is not as nice as the ball bearing system on some other knives I have. This is not to say it's bad at all, it's just not the best I have and I expected more at the price point. Personally I would have liked some texture to the carbon fiber rather than the very smooth polish. I do like the blade shape and the overall size. I prefer a smaller knife for EDC and this one is about ideal for me.

Back