Spyderco Price Increase Impact Survey

How will price increases impact your Spyderco buying choices in 2019?

• I will buy more Spyderco knives than I have in the past.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I do not expect any changes in how many Spyderco knives I buy or where I purchase them from.

Votes: 87 38.8%
  • I expect no changes in how many Spydercos I buy, BUT I may rely more on the secondary market.

Votes: 19 8.5%
  • I will buy fewer Spydercos AND will explore other brands as an alternative to Spyderco.

Votes: 92 41.1%
  • I will buy fewer Spydercos, but will NOT explore other brands as an alternative to Spyderco.

Votes: 24 10.7%

• Total voters

on_the_edge

Gold Member
We all know that price increases are generally inevitable over time. Such increases can cause us to re-evaluate our priorities and perhaps result in change of how we spend our hard-earned dollars. Other brands, other products--there are a lot of choices out there these days.

My intent with this survey is to simply get a general head count of how Spyderco consumers think they will behave in the year to come given price increases, no matter the cause of said increases. Hopefully people have a good idea of how much prices will increase in the new year at this point, so now seems timely to put this out there. And let's not over-think this; I am not a marketing pro and I have no idea how many people would need to participate in order for it to be considered statistically significant. Still, I think it can be useful in providing a snapshot of current sentiment, if even just for entertainment purposes. Please just go with your "gut sense" and let's see where this ends up. And if it makes a difference, votes are NOT publicly displayed so you are anonymous unless you choose to post how you voted in this thread. You get one choice, but can change your answer once submitted.

Pricing has never affected what I buy.

What has affected me was the spy shots and the early release images of knives that then wouldn`t come to market for more than a year. I`d see something I wanted and set my sights on it and then while waiting it would get bumped by another mid season release that I`d have to reset the wait clock on.

Now that they`re not putting stuff out in clear till it`s ready for delivery I think that will affect me much more. I just don`t know if the result will be me buying more or buying less.

If I want it and the price is acceptable to me, I'll purchase it. Same as ever. Certainly been a lot of consternation over this topic recently. Tempest in a teapot...imho.

Happy New Year, Chris...and to all our friends here.

Funny thing is, all this whining and complaining is not going to hurt these knife companies. Wait until Spyderco releases their next sprint run PM2, Military or Manix and see if it doesn't sell like hotcakes. Mountains out of molehills indeed. People will still buy pocket knives and life will still go on. Comical really!

As long as most of the new Spyders are in the $150-200 zone (after MAP discounts), my Spyder purchases should not change much but I have noticed that there seems to be a trend towards some very expensive new knives -- like the Drunken ($609 MSRP/$409 MAP), Paysan ($800 MSRP/$520 MAP) and Subvert ($470 MSRP/$305 MAP) -- which, if it continues, will definitely cut down on my Spyder buys.

Last edited:
Where it will impact me are the impulse purchases. With higher prices and MAP, the deals are not there like they used to be. I think I bought one knife last year as compared to 4-6 per year in years past. Some of it also has to do that I am now sitting on more knives that I can reasonably enjoy. Both of these factors and wanting to buy a house will make me take a step back and make sure it is something I want and will use before spending on it.

If I want it and the price is acceptable to me, I'll purchase it. Same as ever. Certainly been a lot of consternation over this topic recently. Tempest in a teapot...imho.

Happy New Year, Chris...and to all our friends here.

Yes, Happy New Year to you and yours, my friend, as well as to everyone here and at Spyderco. Indeed, all the recent squeaking from the wheel about this recently is what prompted the idea for this topic in my head. Based on what I am seeing in the survey so far, it seems as though most folks will not change anything in 2019, but the few who are unhappy or unable to accept/pay the new prices may be sounding off and making it seem like it is a bigger deal than the largely unaffected (and silent) legions of Spyderco customers.

Where it will impact me are the impulse purchases. With higher prices and MAP, the deals are not there like they used to be. I think I bought one knife last year as compared to 4-6 per year in years past. Some of it also has to do that I am now sitting on more knives that I can reasonably enjoy. Both of these factors and wanting to buy a house will make me take a step back and make sure it is something I want and will use before spending on it.

I cannot speak for anyone else here though I do not think you are alone. Heck, I count myself in a similar situation as yours. I am fast approaching "knife nirvana" in that I feel as though I have pretty much everything I could ever want or need, and frankly more than I could ever use. I'm 53 and have given away a few knives in my life as gifts and I think that trend will continue, but I have been selling some recently as well because I want to have a "special few,"--ones that I carry and use a hell of a lot in the time I have left. Those knives in particular will one day end up in my only son's possession and I know he will appreciate them more knowing they were "dad's favorites, used and carried often". So I may be buying a whole lot less, but it really has nothing to do with price.

Maybe I just missed threads ... but I don't remember anyone fussing when CRK raised prices???

I fussed internally. My internal fussing got a lot louder when it seemed there was an almost immediate jump in prices on the secondary market!!!

I’m almost certain I will buy fewer Spydercos in 2019; partly because of price increases, but also partly because I bought more than anticipated in 2018.

For example, I’ve been contemplating a fluted CF Native. As is, it’s a bit of a reach for me. A bump in price will probably knock it out of contention. Yeah, sure, I could always save up an extra $20-or whatever. BUT I still have to justify it mentally in the context of other expenditures....that’s where it’ll get difficult. :(

I won’t explore other brands as an alternative to Spyderco. If I like a knife I go through the same personal economic justifications, regardless of brand.

Last edited:
IMO "affordability" is not a commonly used to describe premium steel brands.
In fact, top dollar luxury goods are sought after and are cloned because "highly expensive stuff" in the human mind, is a status symbol.
As a knife brand spyderco has already achieved cult status. The question is what level of niche market or mass market product would best suit it's aims.
There is always going to be a trash point to one's level of uncontrolled expenditure, that is to say that the least of my brothers might have to at some point, some serious soul searching to do...
Yup, 2019 is the year to prioritize.

A price increase has never been a deterrent if I want to buy a knife. I'd be leery if companies didn't raise their prices to keep up with current inflation, raw materials prices, labor costs and utility increases. I'd begin to think quality/workmanship would start to be questionable along with sustainability for any company to be able to stay in business.
How would you feel if one day, you went to look for a new product offering just to discover that company has shut it's doors and you no longer have any options. For me, that would suck big time.

Last edited:

"Tempest in a teapot" indeed. Mountains out of molehills also comes to mind. I predict my buying habits will be far more affected by my tastes than their prices.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Is it a knife I want, is the price acceptable. Buy it or save and buy it.
Or put in do another job or two in a week that will pay for it.

Funny thing is, all this whining and complaining is not going to hurt these knife companies. Wait until Spyderco releases their next sprint run PM2, Military or Manix and see if it doesn't sell like hotcakes. Mountains out of molehills indeed. People will still buy pocket knives and life will still go on. Comical really!

We all know the Sprint runs will sell Quick is the standard S30V that are going to sit in the shelves. $190 for a regular S30V military or $160 for a regular PM2 . Not sure how well they will sell .

"Tempest in a teapot" indeed. Mountains out of molehills also comes to mind. I predict my buying habits will be far more affected by my tastes than their prices.

This ^.

I'm not sure what doesn't increase in price year over year. I'll buy what I like, assuming I am acceptable with the price. If not, I'll look at secondary markets.

$5- $15 price increase isn’t a big deal for most. Spyderco has a price range for just about everyone. If you need to save another week or two to get the Spyderco you want, do it. I believe it means more to the health of the company than to us as individuals. Stay sharp!

I mostly buy on the secondary market here anyway. Yes, those prices will increase a bit as well. Thing is, I've got my collection of users well rounded out. I don't collect knives I don't use. So a new spyderco would have to really get my interest before I buy. And in that case I won't mind saving up a bit for the price increase.

I will buy fewer spydercos but not because of price increase. It is because I have accumulated more knives (spydercos included) than I could ever use.

I'll probably buy fewer this year, but only because I'm more deliberate with all my purchases these days. I'm looking to build a small stable to cover my needs, and I'm probably done after that.

I don’t really plan purchases based on price. A knife has to appeal to me aesthetically and fill a need, or perceived need at the time. If it makes it that far then I look at the lock and materials used and see if the price fits.
I’m pretty brand loyal to Spyderco. I rarely find myself searching out another folder these days, but if the Caribbean line gets expanded I could probably talk myself into something.
I have bought 3 on the secondary market here, all smooth transactions. I may buy secondary again but only if a discontinued model knife I want pops up.

Back