Spyderco price increases and higher MAP pricing

The way I see it is, it's impossible to beat a delica's performance. If you go cheaper you can get something that does the job, just not as well. But hey that's just the way I'm looking at it. The bugout is thin slicer but more expensive. the Delica is ultimate edc for most folks.

You are not responding to what he said, I believe. He is talking about replacing a broken blade with a small fee through warranty that some other brands provide, which Spyderco does not.

Steel Will is an American company and the Cutjack in M390 is made in Italy.
Every one of them that I've looked up since this post says made in China.
Are you telling me they make all the other cutjacks in China except that one particular model?

Every one of them that I've looked up since this post says made in China.
Are you telling me they make all the other cutjacks in China except that one particular model?

The D2 versions are made in China.
The M390 versions are made in Italy.

Businesses must do what they need to do and that's fine. However, personally the appeal of Spyderco to me has always been that they are outstandingly ergonomic user knives at attractive prices and possibly my favorite overall brand. If I somehow break a blade though, I have to buy a new knife rather than pay a relatively small fee for a new blade and tune-up, and is something I factor into the equation. A Delica at $55 was a no-brainer for me, but heading seemingly to about $75, I'm not so sure for what the knife is. If I break mine, I'll have to think about whether I'll replace it with another Delica or a different value folder. And that may possibly apply to other models if they break or get lost...I have enough knives that I might just use my others instead of replacing them.

This was my point earlier. When you get into the pricing of ZT and Benchmade you need to offer a similar warranty. Buy either one of those brands and mess up the blade: $30.00 get's you a new blade. Benchmade will practically replace everything on the knife for free as well. Pocket clip, lock, screws, etc. ZT also sends out free parts.

I bent the clip on a Para 2 one time (fluke accident). I don't have the email any longer but a clip was going to be around 8 bucks plus shipping if I remember correctly. I just wanted a different clip for my Benchmade called CS and they sent two for free.

No doubt, I love Spyderco. A pillar in the knife world that has done so much but pricing that compares to other brands without a comparable warranty and you've lost me on most purchases.

The way I see it is, it's impossible to beat a delica's performance. If you go cheaper you can get something that does the job, just not as well. But hey that's just the way I'm looking at it. The bugout is thin slicer but more expensive. the Delica is ultimate edc for most folks.

Beat a Delica's performance? In cutting? The Bugout will match if not beat it. The geometry of the Bugout is unreal but it's not just about the Delica's performance, for me, it's about beating the value of the Delica.

The standard Delica with MAP increase only (no price increase) will be $74.72 with VG10 and a 2.56 cutting edge.
The S30v Delica is already selling for 33% off of MAP at $84.95 with a 2.56 cutting edge.
The Bugout is 114.95 and offers a 3 inch cutting edge.

So yes, the Bugout is $30.00 more than the Delica in the same steel but you get a warranty that will take care of you the rest of your life. Break the tip off of your knife the Delica now costs you over $160 if you replace it with the same model.

The end users are the key to success. You have to keep your eye on the prize.
Simply, increasing Map is increasing the price of the product to end users through a mechanism of price fixing. Do either of the propositions appeal to us?
That was my point it all comes down to us the end users.

I think this will just make me be looking more at the Sprint Runs, Flash Batches, and Discontinued products from Spyderco.

I should add Exclusives will also be something I will look for but those more or less fit into Sprint Runs and Flash Batches.

IDK the yearly price increases really irk me. Noticed on Blade HQ that a para 3 coming soon with s35vn and tan G-10 is over 160 bucks!! The same PM2 is almost 180!! Compared to the older (2018) para 3 with s35vn and tan handles but no blade coating which sold for 140. I made the mistake of talking bad about BM and Spyderco with their price hikes and all the fan boys came out in force and got their feelings hurt. I understand that prices sometimes go up, depending on supply and demand, but when its a 20 dollar increase every year it becomes a real pain in the butt and hit to the wallet. I can understand smaller incremental increases based on current steel prices, demand and supply throughout the year or during the production of a specific knife with a specific steel, but to just put a 20 dollar increase across the board yearly boarders on greed and screwing your customers to me. I really like my Spydercos and BMs but I think for 2019 ill be looking more at other companies..just MY OPINION so please dont get upset if you disagree!

I posted in another thread that the number of knives I am willing to buy has gone down 1, maybe 2 if they are something I really want. I am going to use my money for other interests like ammunition reloading. I have been priced out of,the new knife market. I have a very nice Spyderco Navigato and Dragonfly 2. They really don't have anything else that interests me at the current pricing.

I posted in another thread that the number of knives I am willing to buy has gone down 1, maybe 2 if they are something I really want. I am going to use my money for other interests like ammunition reloading. I have been priced out of,the new knife market. I have a very nice Spyderco Navigato and Dragonfly 2. They really don't have anything else that interests me at the current pricing.
This is getting really ridiculous. I used to buy 7 or 8 Spydercos a year. In 2018 I bought 2. He need to speak with our wallets. Hurt their profits and they’ll stop otherwise they’ll keep going. In fact, the two I purchased came from vendors willing to violate Spyderco’s rules. We need to press Congress to outlaw MAP. If Congress won’t then the states should start.

IDK the yearly price increases really irk me. Noticed on Blade HQ that a para 3 coming soon with s35vn and tan G-10 is over 160 bucks!! The same PM2 is almost 180!! Compared to the older (2018) para 3 with s35vn and tan handles but no blade coating which sold for 140.

It's only partially price increases, I think the BladeHQ Moteng S35VN/brown G-10 run coming also has a DLC blade, which has always been an option that costs about $10 more.

This is getting really ridiculous. I used to buy 7 or 8 Spydercos a year. In 2018 I bought 2. He need to speak with our wallets. Hurt their profits and they’ll stop otherwise they’ll keep going.

We're also seeing better quality and more varied knives from them. Their top end is filling the $150-$300 production niche very well. Fifteen years ago you would not have seen this from them.

I don't like price increases any better than the next person! I believe almost everyone wants to save money.

There are already way more laws on the books than there should be. Government is not the solution to every problem! and certainly not the answer to every complaint!

As much as I don't care for MAP pricing, I would hate it even more if the Big River websites and the Wally World / Big Box stores almost completely took over the retail knife market! and put knife stores out of business. They've already put almost all the book stores out of business, and most of the hardware stores that aren't in the Big Two Box Chains. SuperTarJay and WallyMarket are causing grocery stores to close, with lots more probably closing in the future.

If MAP pricing makes it easier for independent knife stores and knife dealers and other small businesses to stay open and viable, maybe it's not all bad.

I need to stay within budget. If I can get a knife from a national chain for $99 and the closest independent knife store is $145 - I'll probably hold my nose and take the deal. If the independent knife store is $109, it's worth it to me to pay a little more to support small business and avoid more monopolization.

This is getting really ridiculous. I used to buy 7 or 8 Spydercos a year. In 2018 I bought 2. He need to speak with our wallets. Hurt their profits and they’ll stop otherwise they’ll keep going. In fact, the two I purchased came from vendors willing to violate Spyderco’s rules. We need to press Congress to outlaw MAP. If Congress won’t then the states should start.

In 2019 I will buy DLT red Manix 2 and likely also DLT red PM2. Traded away my Delica zdp 189 and will definitely get a Delica (could be just a vg10). No plan for any other spyderco unless something really interesting shows up.

I don’t like price increases as much as the next guy but I am not mad about it as some people here seem to be. The reality is things go up in price and I am not going to spend money on knives since they are getting too expensive for me. They are a “want” and not a “need” for me and I have been priced out of the market. I don’t understand the anger. If it costs more than you think it should or can afford then simply don’t buy it. The anger is confusing.

Agree, but I do think it is too bad because some of these iconic brands do seem to be pricing themselves out of the market. Can't remember the last time I bought a new Spydie/BM/ZT from a retailer...probably a few years ago when I got a camo PM2 for $99 and I think the basic ones like that are now at least $125. The higher pricing has shifted my interest back to what I perceive as value, i.e. the CK LionSteel series with titanium liners, M390 steel and covers other than FRN (plastic) in the $120 range. The last few Spydies/ZT's that interested me were $300 +/- a few dollars.

The Chinese makers were filling that gap pretty well up until about a year ago and they are also now starting to raise their prices quite bit. I was scared they were going to take more and more of the demand but those fears are subsiding with their price increases.

I really hate inflation, spyderco is a top brand and yet to stay viable they have to raise prices in order to keep up with their own inflationary pressures. I don’t think I bought any new spydies this year other than a military, a knife of which I’m frankly a fanboy. ZT has Kai behind them selling enormous #’s of Chinese made knives at a huge markup—which the customer wouldn’t notice because a $20 Kershaw probably costs $2 to manufacture and distribute.

Back