Spyderco price increases and higher MAP pricing

I think Spyderco presents a very good value for dollar. Even with the price increase, I'm not too bothered. Then again my purchases these days are restricted largely to new models or exclusives/sprints. The increase probably means that there will be very few of their S30V knives that get added to my collection with the possible exception of the Kapara. Otherwise I'll be holding back and waiting for the 20CV/M390/<insert high-end steel here> runs.

I too am buying less regular production spyderco due to the price increase. My 2018 spyderco purchases were almost exclusively dealer exclusives and compared to the regular production models the dealer exclusives are a steal. Not sure able you, but $150 paramilitary 2 in 204P is a better deal than a Shaman in S30V for $180, or Kapara for the same price.

I too am buying less regular production spyderco due to the price increase. My 2018 spyderco purchases were almost exclusively dealer exclusives and compared to the regular production models the dealer exclusives are a steal. Not sure able you, but $150 paramilitary 2 in 204P is a better deal than a Shaman in S30V for $180, or Kapara for the same price.

Same here. All my 2018 spyderco purchases were sprints, dealer exclusives, or discontinued, which together still cost me more than $1k.

Effective January 1, 2018 per Facebook post by National Knives, LLC an hour ago:

"Stock up on your favorite Spyderco knives. Come January 1, 2018 there will not only be the yearly price increases, but also a new Minimum Advertised Price policy (MAP) that will go into effect. Currently MAP pricing is 40% below MSRP. Jan.1, that will be 35%. That's a 5% increase on top of the yearly prices increases!"​

I've been buying fewer Spyderco knives since MAP enforcement of I think two years ago and now it'll be fewer still.

Good. Actually, it's best to outright boycott instead of a taper.

and oh, some people will still buy? Guess what? There's a lot more poor people than there are rich these days, and Spyderco has gotten way too cute.

Good. Actually, it's best to outright boycott instead of a taper.

and oh, some people will still buy? Guess what? There's a lot more poor people than there are rich these days, and Spyderco has gotten way too cute.

Dude we get what you are saying but no need to post the same damn thing in 5 or 6 threads at the same time. If anything, this actually weakens your argument and makes you look like a troll.

He is also quoting about the 2018 price increases not 2019 I think we are long done with any concern over 2018 price changes now that 2019 has come and a new set of price changes are come, or coming, to worry about.

If you want to get your hands on existing model variations, exclusives, sprint runs and interesting new releases your going to have to pay to support Spyderco's business model. There really isn't any way around it. Otherwise production would be unsustainable. Essentially, the across the board price increase helps to "underwrite" Spyderco's continued existence. So then on an individual basis...we each buy what we can afford. To my way of thinking, anything, for me, beyond one good knife, is a hobby. And that fact right there lends perspective.

Last edited:
Some people here need to seriously look at what is important in their lives.

If a knife manufacturer raises their prices a few bucks and that makes you angry, you have serious problems. Don’t buy their knives if it upsets you so much. Simple.

If Spyderco is cost competitive vs. the usual suspects after their “HUGE” price increase, why wouldn’t you buy their knives and support them? Don’t they have to give pay raises to retain top staff, pay for higher energy costs, retooling, etc? Last time I checked, most of the “stuff” I have to buy daily increases in cost.

If that PM2 you should have bought last year went up in price by $20, boo hoo. Suck it up or buy something else.

This bitching is just stupid IMO.

I own a business in Golden, Colorado, not too far from Spyderco, and I can say that expenses are going up. Property taxes doubled in the last year, and the cost of living has gone up, as well. There are a lot of jobs available so if you don't increase salaries, you'll lose good employees and the cost of everything, from waste management to other utilities is higher than it's ever been. To say tooling is in place so it doesn't cost more to produce something doesn't address the reality of the situation we have, staying in business requires meeting a bottom line.

While I own more knives than I need, I'm not a collector; all my knives get used. Years ago, when Spyderco was located in a crappy little building on Golden Road and I couldn't afford a nice knife, I would take my crappy knife there and they would sharpen it for free. There are probably better values in knives of a particular steel, and those are probably from great companies, but I'll stick with Spyderco when I need another knife.

U.S. Inflation in 2017 was 2.17%. 2018 was 2.54%. It is forecast to be 2.45% in 2019.

I wasn’t very in tune with the knife world the last year. Have Spyderco’s prices increased more than inflation?
Changing MAP to 35% does seem odd...

EDIT: Just searched the thread and got my answer. Yikes.

Last edited:
I may not like price increases as a consumer but no one does. We have to understand that some things are necessary for the business and products we love to continue to survive. We are free to question the increases and planning behind any increases. When we are lucky we have people like Sal Glesser Sal Glesser who will sometimes answer our questions or comment on our critiques so I feel that we are lucky to have a company such as Spyderco in this business. I am not always a big fan on some designs and some I might not have the budget for so I am not their best customer but I respect them and will continue to bring them my business when there is something that fits.

I went to SMKWs yesterday. Price shock overload. Used to you could find some great deals there this time of the year,not anymore. Everything(not just Spyderco) seemed to be full MSRP or more. Even the clearance items were more than regular price at most online dealers.
I left only buying a tube of Case paste and a pair of Victorinox nail clippers.
Not kidding when I say that you could go to the vintage case and buy vintage and antique folders less that most of the new ones. Came very close to buying a 1905-1920 Case barlow for 125.00

Last edited:
I may not like price increases as a consumer but no one does. We have to understand that some things are necessary for the business and products we love to continue to survive. We are free to question the increases and planning behind any increases. When we are lucky we have people like Sal Glesser Sal Glesser who will sometimes answer our questions or comment on our critiques so I feel that we are lucky to have a company such as Spyderco in this business. I am not always a big fan on some designs and some I might not have the budget for so I am not their best customer but I respect them and will continue to bring them my business when there is something that fits.

I feel the same way...it's being "unfair" but I give Spyderco a little bit more leeway with things (pricing, the rare QC issues) than other companies (cough ZT cough) because they are actively involved here (and their own forum) and Sal & Co are actually really nice people. I think it demonstrates the old adage about catching flies with honey etc, it works that way after the sale too (and believe me they have sold me plenty!).

I do cringe at some of the prices on new models (the Drunken for instance) but I also know that they are bringing us some very high end materials and manufacturing (exotic steels, 3D machined CF and Ti etc) so be it. I hope the prices on established models don't continue to rise at unreasonable rates, I'll tolerate 5% a year, not 15-20% or a broad based increase like BM did a few years ago.

Posted the msg below in another "price increase" thread but thought it would be useful to also post it here in case anyone eligible misses it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just realized that, as a retired LEO, I am eligible for Spyderco's "OpFocus Professional Purchase Program" enabling me to buy knives at a 50% discount off of MSRP directly from Spyderco.

See: https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/

The sign up only mentions retired military but, when I sent in a photo of my LEO ID and star (both marked "retired") to SheerID, my app was approved. Bought 2 knives to make certain that the program was legit. It is. So, anyone else who is a retired LEO, fire fighter, paramedic or EMT should be able to sign up for this program too.

Check it out!

Last edited:
Cool,I am an Animal Control Officer. Just signed up,hope it works.

Posted the msg below in another "price increase" thread but thought it would be useful to also post it here in case anyone eligible misses it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just realized that, as a retired LEO, I am eligible for Spyderco's "OpFocus Professional Purchase Program" enabling me to buy knives at a 50% discount off of MSRP directly from Spyderco.

See: https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/

The sign up only mentions retired military but, when I sent in a photo of my LEO ID and star (both marked "retired") to SheerD, my app was approved. Bought 2 knives to make certain that the program was legit. It is. So, anyone else who is a retired LEO, fire fighter, paramedic or EMT should be able to sign up for this program too.

Check it out!
....this a perfect example of what Spyderco's price increase helps to "underwrite". How could anyone object to a price increase that will help a company to continue to grow and advance innovative product development, pay their employees a living wage, and make it possible for those that serve our nation and our communities to get a discount?

There are a lot of things I want.
I want someone to give me an electric drive Unimog with a hybrid turbine charging system. Of course I could get one made if I had a couple mil laying around, and it may or may not be a good idea.

Spyderco consistently produces an incredible range of styles and designs from independent creators, as well as in-house talent.

Spyderco puts steels on the public stage at a very high percentage of their potential (maximet might be glorious, but its not magic, how easy would it be to screw up?) They also do so in a way that makes it very possible to call out mistakes, many steels in a single design means 1-1 testing is straightforward.

Spyderco produces knives at nearly every price-point.

Spyderco is not beholden to an ideal that cannot be maintained in a global market.

Spyderco responds to market demands that others ignore (Roadie anyone?)

Now, I might want my dream 4x4 camper, but no one is going to make me one. My wants don't drive the market. Someone might want to sell one, but I'll never have the funds to be the buyer. None of my arguments are new or original to me. But for anyone who still thinks Spyderco is somehow gouging the prices, or playing unfairly, that is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. If the knife you want demands a tag you cannot afford, that is life. If the knife you want is not supported by the market, then again, meet life. Its frustrating to fans of someone who built his business from the ground up, to hear others who "know better" disparage the practices of someone who's learned the hard way. Now, if you have the numbers and can make spyderco knives cheaper, better and at greater quantity, I think you know what the next move is right? If you could move the numbers better than Sal, Eric or any of their management team, then you would easily find a job.

Pick any other knife company and anyone with a modicum of background in sales of any type would know why their company fits where it does in the market. I like spyderco as a company because they provide products that other companies wouldn't touch. (how many others sell sharpeners that are not either re-badged or just OEM with design flair?)

I know this thread has pretty much petered out, but before next year's one starts I hope some realize that there is more than just your wallet and a dream between you and what you want. Change the direct arguments in the middle and its the same for every other price increase thread, all over this forum. If you have ever complained about entitlement, and a price increase, then a long look in the mirror is in order.

Back