Spyderco price increases and higher MAP pricing

Assuming there's no increase in MSRP of $209.95 just on the MAP increase it'll go from $125.97 to $136.47.

Exactly. ;)

I will also add, as a lot of others in this thread have, Spyderco is worth it. I will still be buying less of them but that is also because I already have plenty. ;) I will never be able to use, or hand out all of the Spydies I have. With the Native 5, Para 2, Para 3, and new FRN Chaparral, I think they have excellent value.

Living where I do, I get screwed three ways from sunday with everything I buy. At the end of the day MAP won't change prices for me as much as the exchange rate, shipping, legal aspects, lack of competition, and a lower overall volume of sales do. So I have to look at each knife and decide how much of a days wage is that worth to me, and then is that company worth supporting, and is the dealer/retailer who I'm going buy from worth it. Is 5% going to keep me away from a knife? Not likely. At the end of the day I don't need anymore knives, but like we all do, I'm sure I'll still get more. I've got three on the list for the year coming up, and they were chosen based on what they will do for me. But that's my situation. If I was buying more knives, then these small increases might matter more to me, or if I was in a different financial situation. But if I expect to get paid for my work, I guess I should expect to pay someone for theirs.

It is hard to complain about MAP pricing increases when Spyderco offers so much value :thumbsup::D
I would agree with other people In this thread that the folks at Golden, Taichung and Seki deserve a raise :thumbsup:

Spyderco has been knocking it out of the park for the last couple of years now and still continues to do so. There are tons of different models in umpteen million different combinations of color and steels, so there's almost something for everyone out there. You gotta admit though, nothing cuts like like a Spyderco. There are certain Spyderco models that I would put up against knives twice the cost, in a cutting competition! With that being said, despite the price hike, I'll still be jumping on that bandwagon to try new Spydies out!

This is part of the reason my only Spyderco knives I bought in 2017 were exclusives and sprints. I was buying Delica's for $55 a pop back in 2015/2016, now they are $69, and will probably be $75+ come 2018. Just too much money for frn & vg-10.

Exactly. ;)

I will also add, as a lot of others in this thread have, Spyderco is worth it. I will still be buying less of them but that is also because I already have plenty. ;) I will never be able to use, or hand out all of the Spydies I have. With the Native 5, Para 2, Para 3, and new FRN Chaparral, I think they have excellent value.

With the reduced discount on MAP, it means that all Spydercos will increase by 8.34% come January 1, 2018. The increase goes to the dealers' bottom line. Of course, any actual increases in MSRP helps Spyderco and dealers.

There will still be some good deals specially with some dealer exclusives where they're priced well to begin with (DLT PM2) or become so on dealer sales (BHQ and KW).

The Japanese-made Spydercos with G-10 and S30V or VG-10 were already way overpriced.

With the reduced discount on MAP, it means that all Spydercos will increase by 8.34% come January 1, 2018. The increase goes to the dealers' bottom line. Of course, any actual increases in MSRP helps Spyderco and dealers.

There will still be some good deals specially with some dealer exclusives where they're priced well to begin with (DLT PM2) or become so on dealer sales (BHQ and KW).

The Japanese-made Spydercos with G-10 and S30V or VG-10 were already way overpriced.

I agree. I'm not bothered at all by the increase in cost on Spydercos from Golden and Taichung. Seki City and Maniago... different story.

This is part of the reason my only Spyderco knives I bought in 2017 were exclusives and sprints. I was buying Delica's for $55 a pop back in 2015/2016, now they are $69, and will probably be $75+ come 2018. Just too much money for frn & vg-10.
We can now get a Delica in S30V, something that was previously cost prohibitive. This was the one change that I thought about with the price increase, we may pay more but I believe we are also getting more.

Like gadgetgeek above, I live where the exchange rate and shipping make this a very expensive hobby. Price increases move toward the $ limit above which I get charged tax and fees by Customs, and that just makes it too expensive for me.

I have only bought 3 BMs since their MAP enforcement a few years back.
Spydercos MAP enforcement wasn't as significant but I have bought only 4 sprints/DE's that I really wanted since then.

I see Sal/Eric/Spyderco as worthy of my respect as a business and as innovators, so I am ready to accept that they are doing what they need to do.
Sad fact is, whilst I may still buy the occasional new Spyderco it will be much less than I want to.
Happy fact is, I have a drawer with 21 Spyderco users in it that I'm proud to own and use. Reckon I'll get by.

You guys are addicts, and your DOC (Drug Of Choice) is Spyderco (or various others). You don't think that you'll spend a bit more money to get your buzz? Come on, who are you trying to fool? You need that "thing" to get your neurotransmitters going, lol. :p

I don't mean to kill your pity-party, but you-all are being silly! Don't you see it? Spyderco, among others, already have their heals in you, and are squeezing you, can't you feel it? No shame, that's what they're supposed to do! They are a "for profit" enterprise, right?

How many of you need a new knife? "Wait, let's see... Um... I've got 30, but I'm thinking about..." Do you really need anymore knives, anyway? If so, does it really have to be a Spyderco? If so, why?

Anyway, don't take this the wrong way. I'm laughing, while typing this... :D

In the end, your DOC is relatively cheap! So, no more crying! :mad: Also, you can use it, abuse it, then turn around, and sell it on the Exchange. Not too bad, eh? ;)

Is this a :poop:ty-post, or what?

:D:D:D

Seems like the response from Spyderco should be posted here as well:

TazKristi said:
The information posted by National Knives, LLC is slightly misleading (IMHO) and missing some information. We did announce that our MAP pricing will shift to 35% off the established MSRP, effective 1-Jan-2018. Corrections and missing information are as follows.

Very few products experienced an increase for 2018. In many cases, we chose to absorb much of the increases that we received. There were a few increases, however, that we couldn't absorb. We never make pricing decisions across the board. Our management team spends a great deal of time going line by line through our entire product line. Each item is evaluated independently.

We have also lifted MAP from the following products: Sharpeners, BaliYo, T-Shirts, Lanyards and other accessories, and the byrd line.

We know that there are still concerns about Spyderco pricing in the marketplace. Know that we are listening to all of our customers and our review of our policy is ongoing. We know some have very strong opinions about MAP based on experiences with other companies. Please remember that we often do things our own way and our approach is likely all-together different than others.

We do appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback and thoughts. We're watching.

Kristi

I rarely buy anything outside of two manufacturers, Busse and Spyderco. Prices have gone up over time for both, as do most other things. I keep buying what I want from them.

Spyderco was smart to not make a bigger change all at once. It they had implemented MAP at 35% rather than the 40% it would have been real sticker shock. First they went to 40% and now the 35% doesn't seem terrible.
Yeah, it's still a decent sized jump in price and will probably impact sales at the margin. Knife addicts like us will find the extra cash.

You guys are addicts...

Hahaha, great post. True for me. True with other hobbies similar to this.

Having a knife may be a necessity. Having a dozen is fun. Having thousands of $$ in this hobby is a luxury/addiction.

I think some people are genuinely concerned, others are posting (threatening to abandon ship) in hopes that Spyderco may stop doing this in the future or reverse this announcement. I don't blame them.

Sure, if you are buying your first knife, you may be inclined to look elsewhere. But if you blow $1K a year (or more) on knives, are you going to be concerned about paying $100 more?

Anyways, interesting thread and reactions to the announcement.

There comes a point where I ask myself, do I want another pocket knife, or another camera lens? When it gets there, I tell myself that I don't need another pocket knife.

Thanks Inkynate for sharing my post. I just couldn't make it in here last night. In addition to what I originally posted I will add one more point to address something posted here. We don't give kickbacks - to anyone. To reiterate another point, we are continuously evaluating our MAP program and your feedback here and elsewhere is an important part of the process. We've never done anything just for the sake of doing it and our implementation of MAP was not, and still is not taken lightly. Our goal is the protection of our brand, of the Spyderco name and reputation, and the reliable high-performance products that we strive to provide to our customers. I promise, our core values have not changed or wavered.

Thank you, to each of you who have taken the time to provide your feedback. As always, we're listening and watching. We appreciate each of you.

Kristi

Back