Spyderco quality - continuous improvement!

I have been into high quality knives for a little over 10 years now. The knife that started it all for me was a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian that I bought in 2003.

At the time, I favored the Mini-Griptilian over Spyderco models like the Delica and native. I believed that while Spyderco models did have a better blade steel, the overall construction of the Mini-Griptilian was better.

Over the past 10 years I have bought several high quality knives, even an earlier Endura model, but none of them was able to knock the Mini-Griptilian out of my EDC.

Fast forward with 10 years: I was gifted a Spyderco Native 5 by my brother on my birthday in January and I have carried it as my EDC blade since that day. It kicked the Mini-Griptilian out of my pocket!

I posted this thread over on the Spyderco forum, but I wanted to post it here too.

The Native 5 construction is top quality! The lock feels super strong, the fit and finish is excellent and the flat ground S35VN steel blade is one hell of a slicer!!! The bushing system eliminates all blade play.

After three months of use, sometimes moderate use (cutting cardboard boxes, food, plastic and whittling wood) and sometimes heavy use (cutting ABS plastic profiles, cutting bamboo plants), the Native 5 still looks like new and (relatively) easily takes a keen edge.
I am convinced that the high quality materials of construction and the excellent build quality have something to do with this.

IMO, Spyderco has really improved their build quality over the last 10 years. I'm definitely impressed!

This Native 5 is going to stay in my pocket for a loooong time ;-)

Regards,

Davy

Im with you on this. I have some relatively high priced folders but the spydies have earned their pocket time.

Back