Spyderco Quality

I have to say all my Spyderco knives have been great. I own 10 so far and all have been centered (unlike many Benchmade knives, which I also like and have numerous models of) and came shaving sharp.
The fit and finish has been excellent from this company and one of my favorites, my Ulize, came with hands-down the sharpest edge of any knife I own, which is a little over 100.

It is so nice I even don’t want to sharpen it and ruin that edge!

I just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

Keep up the great work, Spyderco!

I agree 100%.

Just received my third Spyderco in the mail today, a Sage LW.

Very sharp, perfectly centered, and a nice "snick" when rolled open.

And it almost drops closed, right out of the box, 5 stars!

I currently own 144 Spydercos (autos, balis, folders and fixed) and the the QC on all of them has been fine IMO.

Although, w/o any specific data to back it up, IMO, the "vintage" knives were made "better" than the knives being made currently and by "vintage" I mean pre-2000 (or so) when the quantity of knives produced (I'm guessing) was much lower.

Last edited:
I can't tell you all how much I'm loving two different native chiefs (chieves?). They are a real sweet spot for me. Rex45 for the garage and S90V for the pocket. Enjoy your knives!

I’ve had a mixed experience with the multiple Spyderco knives I’ve owned. Some centered, some not, but all had a good edge. They’re a good bang for the buck, if you steer away from the ~$100 VG10 models

I’ve had a mixed experience with the multiple Spyderco knives I’ve owned. Some centered, some not, but all had a good edge. They’re a good bang for the buck, if you steer away from the ~$100 VG10 models
I got zero problems with vg10 models, easy to sharpen, decent edge holding
very chemical resistant, real work horses , a working mans knife! No safe queens

I have over 20 spydercos, most of any brand I own, and all have been excellent fit and finish wise, and all are hair popping sharp out of the box. Recently have gotten into the Seki models and I hate I never got one sooner. Love them all, golden, Taichung, Seki, and even my Chinese models (Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence). No itialian models, they just don't appeal to me. Have inky gotten rid of 2, a lightweight manix (just never warmed up to it) and a sage 5, because I felt the para 3 suited me better.

Have a dlt trading 20cv endela on the way, should be a fun one to play with!

I have to say all my Spyderco knives have been great. I own 10 so far and all have been centered (unlike many Benchmade knives, which I also like and have numerous models of) and came shaving sharp.
The fit and finish has been excellent from this company and one of my favorites, my Ulize, came with hands-down the sharpest edge of any knife I own, which is a little over 100.

It is so nice I even don’t want to sharpen it and ruin that edge!

I just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

Keep up the great work, Spyderco!

One thing is the quality, which is amazing.

But Spyderco's innovation is just out of this world... All the models, all the steels, all the different locks and blade shapes etc.

It's almost baffling really.

My favourite maker by far.

:cool: :thumbsup:

One thing is the quality, which is amazing.

But Spyderco's innovation is just out of this world... All the models, all the steels, all the different locks and blade shapes etc.

It's almost baffling really.

My favourite maker by far.

:cool: :thumbsup:
The time spent developing models is crazy. Little details leak out, and it'll be years before something is released.

Meanwhile other companies develop a design in CAD and put it to market within months. You're not iterating <testing the design in hand, redesigning, repeat> if you're doing that, so it's either a generic design or probably not very good. Have to give props for Spyderco sinking in the extra time and costs to really test their designs before putting them out. You can go out of the box and be innovative if you're willing to do that extra work.

There are several other knives from other manufacturers that I like the -design- of much more than Spyderco, although they have to get up pretty early to beat Spydercos ergonomics and overall feel. But...

Of the ones I have (Freeman, Russell, Benchmade, Zero Tolerance, Case, Browning) the only other folding knife that I feel has better build quality is a Freeman 451. Even that one, IMO Spyderco has the blade metallurgy beat. No reflection on the Freeman; it is S35VN. My Spydercos are mostly M390, CPM-M4, S90V, etc. Same as everyone else, it seems to me that Spyderco seems to run their steel harder and the blade geometry works better for most uses I have for them.

I have a Spyderco S30V, but it is -very- hard to compare it with the S35VN because I push the Freeman a lot harder than the Spyderco. The Freeman feels more like a pocket survival knife.

All my Spydercos are the Manix. I like the steel liners in the handles, I like the ergonomics; they fit my hand perfectly as if it was my hands they used to design them, the size suits me other than it is so wide in the pocket, and I like the lock system. Nothing against frame locks and the others, I just like this one. No problem opening and closing it with just one hand and if I get distracted, I don't bleed all over my pants.

Can't afford a custom, so that comparison is off the table. Or maybe simply don't want to pay that much when what I have does the job just fine.

Maybe the most entertaining thing about the Spydercos is the looks. They look pretty aggressive to start with, and if you get a black one with a black blade, it scares the crap out of the leftists. <grin>

I think in terms of fit and finish upon arrival, Civivi/WE might have spyderco beat.

I don't know about 0 problems claim...but I would say ALL of my spydercos came razor sharp. I had a few (maybe 3) badly centered blades (like my millitary) and a handful really stiff action.

I will point out that compared to Benchmade, this is awesome and compared to Boker it is Godlike haha.

Ok never thought I would complain about a spyderco but my
new endela seki city made, the screws were loose and scales bad fresh out of the box, zero loktight
and falling apart

Last edited:
Its inevitable that some quality problems will show up, just look at all the recalls. This is especially true with the larger sales companies. They could put enough inspectors to catch everyone, but you would not like the price of the item. Tigheten the screws with loc-tite or return it, could be much worse. Being a consumer for many decades know I can truthfully say it is a quantum leap over the old days.

Ok never thought I would complain about a spyderco but my
new endela seki city made, the screws were loose and scales bad fresh out of the box, zero loktight
and falling apart
I purchased 2 Seki Salts recently. One had a loose pivot screw with no LockTite. No big deal for me. I have plenty of it around (blue, purple & red).

It made me wonder about the non-mechanical/non-knifeheads who just want a knife for fishing. They probably wouldn’t have been satisfied.

Back