Spyderco Repair Service Review

Great to hear your experience.

[Getting on my soapbox] I'll try to connect this back to the most recent "price" discussion taking place. This level of service costs money. Having people to process the forms, to get the knives in, to work on them, to ship them back. Keep parts around for knives that have long since been discontinued. This all costs a lot of money. When you complain about prices relative to other brands, you need to consider whether you plan to keep the knife and may ever need it serviced. This is my standard rant when people mention Benchmade prices. It applies here as well. [off soapbox]

I have absolutely NO complaints about the price of service. So, far it's been FREE except for the $7.20 (now $7.90) Priority Mail postage to send them the knives and the $5 return postage.

I also understand the costs of providing the service, which contributes to the reputation and "good will" valuation of the company and I assume that's how Spyderco justifies the costs associated w/the service.

However, I don't think it would be be asking that much to just send a confirming email to the sender when the knife is logged in for service. Just takes a minute on the computer. Same thing when the knife is returned.

Just saying . . .

Last edited:
Minutes add up and cost money for a free service. You need to have trust. Just because email exists doesn't mean it's needed for the simple receipt of a package you are probably tracking anyway. I've never had anything lost to any knife company and the knives have always been returned. Once I had to call, but that was for a custom maker >65 yo :) he said the knife was next to his easy chair reminding him of what he needed to do. I reminded him that what he offered to do for free, I included a check to pay him anyway. I got it back in a week :)

I sent in a Kukhri with a difficult problem that there was no way I was gonna fix on my own and which basically rendered the knife unusable.

Charlynn promised me they'd do everything they could to get the Kuk back in my pocket...A couple weeks later it arrived almost factory fresh with some nice Spyderco swag to boot! Charlynn really delivered. That was the first, and only, time I've had to use W&R @ Spyderco and it was a fantastic experience. :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Thanx Brownshoe.

Sgt,

Shop time runs about $1.00 - $2.00 per minute. Sending 2 additional emails tomes the number of daily service issues would really add to the burden.

sal

Thanx Brownshoe.

Sgt,

Shop time runs about $1.00 - $2.00 per minute. Sending 2 additional emails tomes the number of daily service issues would really add to the burden.

sal

Your company, your decision.

I understand that it would be an additional step that you'd rather not do because of the apparent burden overall but it just doesn't seem like too much to ask for the person who logs the knives in/out of your work order system to send an email notification of the receipt/dispatch of the knife to the customer at the same time. Other companies are certainly able to do it and the information provided is a valuable customer service.

In order to avoid using shop time to do it, couldn't the computer system be modified so that an email notice is automatically sent out when the knives are logged in and out of the work order system? Have you ever looked into the possibility of doing this?

And, FWIW, if you feel your company needs to be compensated for this additional service, I certainly wouldn't mind sending in an extra $5 to cover the shop time (or the cost of upgrading the computer system) to accomplish it. It's just more reassuring (at least to me) to hear from the company when they've received the knife I sent them and when they return it.

Just got my vintage Gen 1 plain edged Endura Clip-it (C10PBK) back from Spyderco.

Bought it on EB to fill a gap in my collection and sent it in mainly to get the worn/blunted tip reshaped and sharpened and to polish/grind out a minor blemish on the blade.

They did an excellent job in reshaping and sharpening the tip; it looks like new. You can't tell w/o pulling out a ruler or comparing it side-by-side w/another Endura of that vintage but they had to shorten the blade 1/16" of an inch to do it. So, the blade now measures 3 11/16" instead of 3 3/4" but don't think they could have done the job otherwise.

I'm not sure if they actually tried to remove the blemish on the blade or not. The blemish is still there and there's no explanation in the return letter to indicate if they actually tried to grind and/or polish it out. There's just a vague statement that they "sharpened and/or reconditioned [the knife] to the best of [their] capability."

Doesn't really matter since I'm either going carry/use this knife as an EDC or just resell it, because I found another vintage plain edge Endura Clip-it on EB that better matches the combo and serrated bladed Endura Clip-its (that I bought in the 90's) because they are all "like new" (unused and unsharpened) and are all marked AUS-8. There is no steel marking on the Endura that I had reshaped/sharpened, so it didn't match the others as well.

The only hitch w/this repair was that the box that the knife was return to me in was incorrectly addressed. It went to the correct PO but the box # was missing a digit and the post office staff had to search for it. Fortunately, that PO holder hadn't picked up their mail yet and they were still able to find it.

Last edited:
How do you guys get Charlynn? What number or extension. I never am able to get her.

Is there something going on with customer service as of late. sent a knife in for service over 3 weeks ago with clip issue. Called 6 times with no answer (away from the desk) in the last 2 weeks. I included Phone number and email and no one gets back to me. Sent email to them 2 days ago and still no response......is the team on vacation ????

I need to call Spyderco next week to decide what I want as a replacement for a knife with a sticky compression lock - S35VN Para 3. I was surprised to see that they could not fix it and really wanted to get that one back, wanted to try Spyderco's S35VN. The letter I received stated they no longer make that. I thought it was nice to get the new catalog to see every current model. I want to get something out of the ordinary, like the brown Para 3, in the Para 3 platform and it does not seem possible so I'm kind of at a loss on what to do. edit/add: Have dark blue S110v PM2 and Military already and not looking to add another in Para 3.

Last edited:
I need to call Spyderco next week to decide what I want as a replacement for a knife with a sticky compression lock - S35VN Para 3. I was surprised to see that they could not fix it and really wanted to get that one back, wanted to try Spyderco's S35VN. The letter I received stated they no longer make that. I thought it was nice to get the new catalog to see every current model. I want to get something out of the ordinary, like the brown Para 3, in the Para 3 platform and it does not seem possible so I'm kind of at a loss on what to do.
The wire clip on my chaparral frn keeps popping off and I know its a design problem (to small of screw, and too shallow of grooves for clip to rest in) so maybe they are just ignoring that fact, and pushing me to the back of line. First time ive dealt with this great customer service I hear so much about:rolleyes:

edit: never actually dealt with spyderco customer service.....hopefully I will after a few more phone calls to the guy thats always"away from the desk"

The wire clip on my chaparral frn keeps popping off and I know its a design problem (to small of screw, and too shallow of grooves for clip to rest in) so maybe they are just ignoring that fact, and pushing me to the back of line. First time ive dealt with this great customer service I hear so much about:rolleyes:

edit: still trying to deal with the cs

I bought one of those for my nephew for his 18th birthday recently - I'll have to ask him about his experience. Thanks for the head's up.

I bought one of those for my nephew for his 18th birthday recently - I'll have to ask him about his experience. Thanks for the head's up.
the sage 3 wire clip was great and strong. The chap frn is my favorit spydie by far (value, ergo, blade performance, steel)....problem is once a week after work I find the knife dangling from clip after dislodging from grooves. The screw only holds clip by outside radiused chamfer and does not reset properly at all. Bump something and clip must spring right out of the barely functional slots. Used to like the spyderco wire clips but I am going to lose this blade in no time unless something is done. I hade a bad feeling about the clip right when I got the knife. Very flimsy, but an awesome blade! Point is I am curious why they do not get back to their customers. I heard spyderco Customer service was the best....Did they have a 2 week shutdown...only one person to handle calls the last few weeks?

I need to call Spyderco next week to decide what I want as a replacement for a knife with a sticky compression lock - S35VN Para 3. I was surprised to see that they could not fix it and really wanted to get that one back, wanted to try Spyderco's S35VN. The letter I received stated they no longer make that. I thought it was nice to get the new catalog to see every current model. I want to get something out of the ordinary, like the brown Para 3, in the Para 3 platform and it does not seem possible so I'm kind of at a loss on what to do. edit/add: Have dark blue S110v PM2 and Military already and not looking to add another in Para 3.
Would you consider a Sage 5? Also with a 3-inch blade but one that’s thinner and slicier, it has a great ergonomic handle and a deep carry wire clip. S30V, so not an exotic steel. Not sure if they’d swap for it directly, as it’s slightly more expensive.

Would you consider a Sage 5? Also with a 3-inch blade but one that’s thinner and slicier, it has a great ergonomic handle and a deep carry wire clip. S30V, so not an exotic steel. Not sure if they’d swap for it directly, as it’s slightly more expensive.

Is there something going on with customer service as of late. sent a knife in for service over 3 weeks ago with clip issue. Called 6 times with no answer (away from the desk) in the last 2 weeks. I included Phone number and email and no one gets back to me. Sent email to them 2 days ago and still no response......is the team on vacation ????
I mailed out a knife for service to Spyderco in mid-February and got it back 16 days later in perfect condition. I’ve always had a great experience with them.

Did you ever try to contact them....
I did in the past. Before I sent my first knife in for service, I sent an email query. I got a quick email response recommending that I mail it to them, with details of how to do so.

I also called their service line to ask questions when I was trying to decide from among different steels for a new knife. The information was very helpful.

Thanks for considering it.
Just for a counterpoint from a customer who likes your current service and cost, I’ve learned to be satisfied with mailing my knife to you and not thinking about it til I receive the shipping notice that indicates it’s being sent back to me. I think you would contact me if there were anything I needed to know or decide before then.

A couple of times I’ve wondered whether you’d charge extra for the work or parts I requested, but you haven’t. I don’t intend to belittle others’ concerns, but in my experience Spyderco has great service. And I’ve also dealt with “high end” makers, production and custom.

Back