Spyderco Reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have a p'kal, I remember when the fixed blade version was being talked about, I remember when it came out.

I should have bought one then, but I figured like most specialty knives it would be priced high and then drop after a year or so.
Problem now, no longer manufactured, no longer in stock.
WTF, not enough interest, bad idea, wrong steel?

Guessing I just missed the reverse boat.
Which is it, am I better off or should I keep looking?

Ok, I have a p'kal, I remember when the fixed blade version was being talked about, I remember when it came out.

I should have bought one then, but I figured like most specialty knives it would be priced high and then drop after a year or so.
Problem now, no longer manufactured, no longer in stock.
WTF, not enough interest, bad idea, wrong steel?

Guessing I just missed the reverse boat.
Which is it, am I better off or should I keep looking?

The Reverse is a great knife but is quite a bit bigger than the Spyderco Pikal. I find these reverse edge blades to be best suited for extremely close combat. The Reverse is abit large to carry around concealed.

In light of that if you are looking for a fixed blade that is designed for the same fighting style as the Pikal I highly recommend you check out the Shivworks clinch pick which is available on amazon. It is quite inexpensive for what you get. It is also designed by Craig Douglas (SouthNarc) who also designed the Pikal and the Reverse.

It also comes with an excellent sheath. The teardrop handle shape lets the knife be small while allowing an excellent grip.

Here is a pic of the Reverse, Pikal and Clinchpick so you can see the size. Clinch Pick is on the right.

dRCvfhR.jpg

Thanks for the pic.
Puts it in perspective for me.
Didn't know the clinch pick was on Amazon, last I remember it was hard to come by.

I own a Reverse, P'kal and a variety of other "fighting" knives and, IMO, unless you collect these types of knives specifically, like I do, there's no need for you to buy a Reverse.

Like all other reverse blade knives, it is designed to be held w/a reverse grip. Duh! LOL! ;)

However, I do not like the feel of Reverse. It just does not fit well in my hand well when held as it's supposed to be held. I don't have this "problem" w/any other such knife that I own, including but not limited to the Spyderco P'kal, ZT 0750, Kershaw Talon (1410), Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika, Fox Emerson Karambit and the CRKT Provoke.

The knife is also on the large size for such a knife and there are any number of other reverse blade (as well as other types of fighting) knives that you could carry (some that I have already mentioned) that you could own/carry instead.

So, I'd say keep up the search if you're a collector (they pop up here and on EB from time to time) but otherwise focus on something else if you're not.

Last edited:
I own a Reverse, P'kal and a variety of other "fighting" knives and, IMO, unless you collect these types of knives specifically, like I do, there's no need for you to buy a Reverse.

Like all other reverse blade knives, it is designed to be held w/a reverse grip. Duh! LOL! ;)

However, I do not like the feel of Reverse. It just does not fit well in my hand well when held as it's supposed to be held. I don't have this "problem" w/any other such knife that I own, including but not limited to the Spyderco P'kal, ZT 0750, Kershaw Talon (1410), Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika, Fox Emerson Karambit and the CRKT Provoke.

The knife is also on the large size for such a knife and there are any number of other reverse blade (as well as other types of fighting) knives that you could carry (some that I have already mentioned) that you could own/carry instead.

So, I'd say keep up the search if you're a collector (they pop up here and on EB from time to time) but other focus on something else if you're not.
thanks

So, I'd say keep up the search if you're a collector (they pop up here and on EB from time to time) but otherwise focus on something else if you're not.
Is the REVERSE model only for fighting and SD? The reason I ask is because it seems it would have some type of utility uses to it as well. I came close to buying a P'Kal on a couple of occasions because I've always had an affinity for GOLDEN, CO made Spyders. Also I've always wondered why those two models specifically never got offered in SE?

Is the REVERSE model only for fighting and SD? The reason I ask is because it seems it would have some type of utility uses to it as well. I came close to buying a P'Kal on a couple of occasions because I've always had an affinity for GOLDEN, CO made Spyders. Also I've always wondered why those two models specifically never got offered in SE?

The Reverse (like most reverse bladed knives) is designed for SD use but, like any other knife, it can be used for purposes other than those that it was specifically designed for.

Serrated blades are not ideal for SD use because they tend to hang up in fabric. That's so even though the Matriarch and Civilian, which are designed for SD use, are made w/fully serrated blades. If that's what you like, you can buy them or any of other serrated hawkbill knives that Spyderco also makes, which are designed for utility purposes but can also be used for SD (whether held in a reverse grip or not).

Last edited:

The Pikal especially because the grip is not very comfortable in forward edge out grip is mostly suited to SD only. Obviously you could use either knife as any other hawkbill knife for utility tasks. The Reverse will likely do better duty in this role since you can flip the handle around to “Michael Janich mode” which is a more typical grip for utility tasks. Although these knives were designed as close quarter SD fighting knives.

The reason they do not come serrated is likely due to neither Craig Douglas aka Southnarc (pikal and reverse designer) and Michael Janich (reverse co-designer) believing serrations are ideal for an SD/fighting knife.

The Reverse (like most reverse bladed knives) is designed for SD use but, like any other knife, it can be used for purposes other than those that it was specifically designed for.

Serrated blades are not ideal for SD use because they tend to hang up in fabric. That's so even though the Matriarch and Civilian, which are designed for SD use, are made w/fully serrated blades. If that's what you like, you can buy them or any of other serrated hawkbill knives that Spyderco also makes, which are designed for utility purposes but can also be used for SD (whether held in a reverse grip or not).
Hey thank you "sgt1372"> that's a really good answer and that's kind of what I thought. You and Lapedog both kind of reinforced what I thought about those types of blade designs. The reason I brought up the possibility of making those in SE is because I truly do use Spyderco SE models quite a bit. Everyday I carry my main EDC which is an M390 Military model which has just been a dream knife for everything I use it for in a plain edge. But I always carry a companion folder with it and 99% of the time it's a Spyderedged model and most of the time it's one of my Spyderco Hawkbill SE models. What I'm getting at is being the Hawkbills are great in SE for pull cutting type jobs I'm actually wondering if these "reverse" designed blades in SE wouldn't also be a great blade for certain types of pull cutting.
I can see where a Spyderedged version of the P'Kal for instance would maybe get into tight places even better than a Hawkbill thus making it an ideal pull cutting type knife in SE. I was strictly thinking about utility uses with the P'Kal in SE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back