Spyderco Rubicon Goodness

RamZar

Gold Member
I know it's not out there yet but the Rubicon is, personally, really something to be excited about for a number of reasons.

It was a production sample in Amsterdam so the patience level is moderate.

It's a great little flipper!

The folder is made at the Taichung plant which to me has meant premium quality on par with any other production knife manufacturer out there and at midtech level. Amazing stuff! :thumbup:

The styling and aesthetics have custom level and/or aftermarket accents and finishes.

It's also a very handy and compact EDC.

Wish the blade steel was more premium.

Bottom line, REALLY looking forward to this one ASAP!

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_handle_1.jpg

The approximate specifications of the Rubicon are:

Overall Length: 19 cm / 7.48 inches
Edge Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inches
Blade Length: 7,8 cm / 3.07 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,35 cm / 0.14 inches

Last edited:
Really looking forward to this one as well. It honestly looks like a custom. And I don't care how much it costs. I will own one!

I'm very intrigued by the Rubicon. Let's try to convince them to make it in CTS-XHP instead of S30v!

Here's an introductory video as of the Amsterdam show:

[video=youtube_share;TrLNfg5I7vU]http://youtu.be/TrLNfg5I7vU[/video]

Here's an introductory video as of the Amsterdam show

Even though I've seen this video already, my pants still emitted a slide-whistle sound. Even though it's HG, lacks a choil, and is in plain vanilla S30v, it is still gorgeous. Love the scales and orange accents.

I'm very intrigued by the Rubicon. Let's try to convince them to make it in CTS-XHP instead of S30v!

It's probably too late now for the first batch. However, like Spyderco did with the Chaparral switching from S30V to CTS-XHP hopefully that'll happen with the Rubicon eventually.

I love this model; as others have mentioned it certainly has custom touches and aftermarket appeal.

I think I'll probably be the only one to say this, but I prefer stainless steel contacts to titanium ones, and I prefer stainless steel liners for that reason. With that being said, I won't let that stop me from trying one out at some point.

Whats wrong with S30V. Its a great all around steel. Yea a new exotic super steel would be cool but how much more would it add to the cost. S30V is a great
compromise for performance/cost ratio.

The knife looks amazing. Spyderco is stepping up their game and love seeing them step out the traditional Spyderco look with these collaborations.
The carbon fiber and pivot looks custom quality. Pocket clip is alright.

It's probably too late now for the first batch. However, like Spyderco did with the Chaparral switching from S30V to CTS-XHP hopefully that'll happen with the Rubicon eventually.

I doubt it. The Chap situation happened because they did not have enough XHP initially. They seem to have plenty of it now. Plus the designer surely has input on steel, and this could be his preference.

Back